Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Discussion in 'Misc. TV Series' started by Thread Manager, Oct 23, 2017.

1. RetrogradeOrbit

RetrogradeOrbit Do I look like I'm joking?

In the debriefing scene, I read in a review...

2. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

They didn't need to beam a bomb on board though. The Sphere allowed the Discovery crew back on board. Now I don't know if it was via transporter beam or via those exterior passageways they set up. But one person could've gone back over to Discovery with a bomb (or several people with several bombs) and placed them in various locations around the ship. These could've been timed to detonate or the people could've blown it up themselves.

And during this final battle with Section 31 in the finale, weren't Discovery getting hit and their shields were at a very low percentage? They took heavy damage. It's not like the Sphere was suddenly protecting them anymore. They could've used this as the opportunity to destroy Discovery. Or if not, this would prove that sustained firepower against Discovery would've eventually weakened its shields and allowed the ship to be destroyed. Enterprise barely fired any shots at it before giving up. If they spent as much time firing on it as they did in this battle, they would've destroyed Discovery eventually. Then no-one would need to go to the future.

I get why they went to the future and I even agree that it's better placed there so that it won't have to be constrained by canon, but the reason for going there seems extremely contrived, especially when they had all these other options and it wasn't even a necessity by the end of the episode after Georgiou defeated Control.

RetrogradeOrbit and Flash525 like this.
  3. Flash525

Flash525 The Scarlet Messenger

Oddly, that shouldn’t have been possible. With shields up, you can’t transport over - you can’t even fly a shuttle into the bay, so how did those passageways even get through the shield?

I agree too, had Enterprise unloaded their torpedo compliment at Discovery, they could’ve blown it out of the sky, but I guess we’re supposed to ignore this; plot convenience demands it.

4. Dark Raven

Still going to the future is almost like if you had a bill to pay and you had spent time working to get enough money to pay it that month and then at the last minute you were told that the bill was cancelled or someone else paid it for you. But because you've become so invested in it, you think "damn, let's just pay it anyway!" :o

Of course, how many people would actually do that?

RetrogradeOrbit likes this.
  5. Gaultheria

Gaultheria Registered

You're not alone, though. Without anything new to engage the audience and give us something to wonder about, the episode was all epilogue.

I agree. Relationships in drama can be loving or hateful or whatever, but that's something that can be conveyed very quickly by a word or a sneer. It's how these relationships interact with the events of the plot — and not long, drawn-out conversations while the plot is on hold — that sheds light on their complexities.

6. m1ll3r

m1ll3r Failed experiment

Looking around the internet, I am stunned (ie - not stunned in the slightest) at the amount of people moaning that Discovery isn’t real Star Trek, because it relies too much on action and emotional beats, over logic and slow, careful pacing.

Yes... because the franchise was doing so very well the last time it relied on those aspects.

The last two Trek movies were awful. Voyager was dull, as was Enterprise.

Discovery is just the kick up the arse the whole thing needed. To flourish it needs to move away from Roddenberry’s stick-up-the-ass mentality, which hamstrung it against the competition.

Flash525 likes this.
  7. Guts

Guts Smug

But the last two Trek movies were very much action based. Into Darkness featured a scene that was already done in Voyager where a federation ship fires it's phasers while in warp.

And then there was Beyond. Which had a scene where Kirk destroys the swarm by using the Beastie Boys.

8. Guts

Guts Smug

Also a Trek show that has a bit more action than the others isn't really new. Deep Space 9 became more action based when the stuff with the Dominion war was going on.

Flash525 likes this.
  9. Flash525

I said a few posts back that there was no sense for them to go to the future after Georgiou had taken care of business, so I agree that the point seems totally ... pointless. If it's the ship that needs to be in the future, great. I'm sure there's a group within the Federation 950 years ahead that would be capable of sending Michael and the Discovery crew back to where they belong - just without the ship.

For what it's worth, short of the S4 final, I quite enjoyed S4 of Enterprise.

This, I feel is the cold hard truth of the matter. Modern Trek needs to be different to whatever style and vision Roddenberry had, and a good portion of old school fans simply aren't going to accept this. Is the DC debate all over again, though in a different ... contrast; every Superman fan has their own vision of how Superman should be, and from which comic series a film about him should focus on. When something is done differently, they'll cry. Old school Trek fans are no different in that regard.

All three of the reboot films had their moments, but they could've been so much more.

Obviously the first film was setting up the new timeline, the second film was (in part) a combination of The Wrath of Khan, and the Search for Spock. The third film should have taken a big element from the Undiscovered Country, and should have heavily focused on the Klingons, cause man, the Klingons we saw in the ST2 were menacing creatures. I'd have loved to see more of them, but instead they went a totally random route and an original story that didn't quite take.

And that's exactly when DS9 took off. TNG was good, but similar to TOS (EotW style). DS9, especially into the later seasons felt more of a continual story. VOY was essentially just a drawn out journey home, and wrapped up far too conveniently for my liking.

10. vantheman77

vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

I type very fast!!

11. Dark Raven

Why did they send the Admiral down there to defuse the photon torpedo? What background or expertise does she have in that area given that she's a psychiatrist? Does she also have some other expertise like engineering?

I thought maybe Number One was going to die and that's why we don't hear about her again in the original series.

12. DCnightwing23

DCnightwing23 Registered

She was in the original series as well, or rather the original pilot. Played by Gene Roddenberry's wife, Majel Barrett.

[​IMG]

13. Dark Raven

Yes I know that. But these Discovery episodes are set after the Cage. Number One did not show up again after that episode. The original series with Kirk is also set 13 years after the Cage and 10 years after Discovery season 2.

14. Binker

Binker Registered

So I saw the bridge (maybe there's more) of the Enterprise, and I really liked it. And I can see what they did: they used the template of the original series bridge, expanded it in the size of the movie bridge, and added the style and dressing from the Kelvinverse bridge. From that, its the style of today's, with the design of the original that it is, and the fact that it has a connection the movie version, it all fits canon-wise.

15. KevTravels

KevTravels Registered

O/T but when's the DS9 documentary coming out?

16. Dark Raven

They didn't expand it to the size of the movie bridge. That one is still much bigger she more spaced out.

17. vantheman77

vantheman77 Superman Fan 4 Life

The only low point of season 2 was killing off Airiam.

18. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

But the actress who played her is now getting to play her own replacement, minus all the makeup and prosthetics.

19. Flash525

Hopefully they can use those lost prosthetics and makeup and give us a 32nd(?) Century Andorian, Cardassian or Tholian on the Bridge of Discovery now that it's 950 years ahead of time. :p

Teelie likes this.
  20. Dark Raven

They can take the bald Klingons from the first season and use them again and now say it's how they look in 950 years time where they've evolved from their TNG/ DS9 look. :o

Teelie likes this.
  21. elgaz

elgaz Registered

I'd like to see Q's interested piqued by the sudden appearance of a ship from almost a millenium previous. After all, time is essentially meaningless to him so he wouldn't have aged but would still 'be watching' mankind like he told Picard at the end of the TNG finale.

22. Dark Raven

Except that John De Lancie is older now. How are they going to explain his age difference if they did have him again, given that Qs aren't meant to age? Unless they employ de-aging technology.

23. elgaz

elgaz Registered

Digitally de-aged. Or have Q explain it away in his usual humorous and whimsical manner as part of an experiment (due to his intense interest in humanity) to make himself appear older and more distinguished.

Or the 3rd and least popular option, it doesn't have to be De Lancie at all. After all, that physical form that Q takes could be anyone and anything. But I would prefer they keep De Lancie as he really made the character his own.

24. Teelie

Teelie The Incredulous Spider-Man

Recasting Q would be easy in theory but finding the right replacement in reality... not so easy.

#974 Teelie, Apr 25, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2019
    KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  25. Dark Raven

I suppose they could cast DeLancie's son Keegan DeLancie, who played Q junior in the Voyager episode, Q2.

[​IMG]

He's older now, but he looks similar to his father:

[​IMG]

Or they could cast Miles Teller in the role. :o

elgaz and Teelie like this.