Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

I dug this episode. Yeah, I saw the twists/shocks coming, but the execution worked for me.

Anyone else noticed Locra little smirk when he saw The Emperor?

Anyone else noticed Locra little smirk when he saw The Emperor?

I would think that Lorca's still recovering from spending time in the agonizer chamber and was grimacing slightly from the residual pain... those agonizers ARE pretty horrifying... so I don't think it's a smirk of any kind, just a matter of him reacting to the effects of the agonizer...

I think it was just a "Can you ****ing believe this?" smirk. That's how I would have reacted. Think about it.

Michael's dead mentor that raised her is the psychotic bloodthirsty emperor in this universe. Of all the people that could be the Emperor it turns out that Georgiou is the Emperor.

That **** is funny. In a dark ironic way. The crew is essentially through the looking glass and if they don't acknowledge the absurdity of it all they are all going to lose their minds trying to cope with it.

I think it was just a "Can you ****ing believe this?" smirk. That's how I would have reacted. Think about it.

Michael's dead mentor that raised her is the psychotic bloodthirsty emperor in this universe. Of all the people that could be the Emperor it turns out that Georgiou is the Emperor.

That **** is funny. In a dark ironic way. The crew is essentially through the looking glass and if they don't acknowledge the absurdity of it all they are all going to lose their minds trying to cope with it.

Nah, he's totally mirror Lorca. It would explain a ton like his override of the last jump coordinates. Don't get against the fan theories. They are all coming true.

Noticed the smirk. I too am going with mirror. I don't think he's necessarily working with the Terran empire or against Michael though. He has his own agenda. Whatever happened to his eye thing though? I thought he needed drops every so often?

the movie was trash then, its trash now

as far as Im concerned, the movies started with Wrath Of Khan

this...
icon14.gif

Don't even remotely agree with ya, but there we go... :cwink:

I just hope for season 2 we get more focus on the rest of the crew. Burnham is interesting and all, but I want more of Saru and any number of supporting characters that we see but never hear.

We told ya! I don't know how satisfying it is that fans are guessing every twist on this show though.

Well, sometimes the satisfaction from a twist doesn't come from it surprising you, but from how it plays out. Everyone saw the [blackout]Jon Snow parentage[/blackout] twist from Game of Thrones coming, but it's still satisfying to see how the ramifications of it affect the plot. It depends on the execution.

giphy.gif

I did NOT see that coming! And it makes so much more sense now! MAJOR KUDOS.

I didn't see that coming at all (I haven't been following fan theories or anything). I loved the twist. Looking forward to wherever it's going next-- and I hope my Netflix stops doing this slight stuttering **** it's doing every ten-ish seconds.

Next episode's title, "What's Past Is Prologue", is from Shakespeare's The Tempest. Antonio used it to convince Sebastian to murder his sleeping father King Alonso and take the throne.

Well that was one hell of a twist.

This was some straight M. Night Shyamalan type twist.

Last edited:
This twist feels like a cop out to me. It was nice having a starfleet officer that wasn't morally superior and a mouthpiece spouting the typical Federation lines of peace and hugs. The Federation should have people like Lorca in its ranks. There would be people that are morally grey and questionable. People that think the ends justify means. People that dont automatically think like the Federation wants them to. Here was a character that rejects the trite same ol same ol we've come to expect from Federation officers. And now the writers are saying that this character is from the "evil" universe. It cheapens his character.

I enjoyed having a Star Trek Captain who went against the grain and was a morally dubious character as well but many of the hardcore Trekkies seemed to hate that choice.

Probably because it feels very unStar Trek like, which is why so many people see the Orville as more a successor than the actual successor.

are we likely gonna season a season 2 debuting in September?

I enjoyed having a Star Trek Captain who went against the grain and was a morally dubious character as well but many of the hardcore Trekkies seemed to hate that choice.

I'm in agreeance. I like what they've done with Trek.

Amazing. In one episode they undid 12 episodes of character development and turned Lorca into a racist idiot with a messianic complex. All for a cheap twist. That was Shyamalan on his worst day bad.

Michael and Philipa 's scenes were good tho. I'm really looking forward to seeing how Philipa [blackout]uses her ruthlessness and experience to help the Federation defeat the Klingons.[/blackout] And the Discovery crew are working better together which is nice.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"