Discovery Star Trek: Discovery - Part 1

Haven't been keeping up, but reading about the finale, I'll be curious to see that [blackout]Christopher Pike[/blackout] casting.

It would be like asking some from Saudi Arabia or North Korea to adjust to life in the U.S. in a day or so. It's a completely different way of looking at the world. But overall it's one of the lesser issues I have with the show, there are far more grievous problems.

No it would be like asking Hitler or any high ranking Nazi to adjust to America after the war. A number of Nazi's adapted after the war and lived to old age without committing anymore genocide.

And Terran Georgiou cant be compared to some indoctrinated NK citizen or even some oppressed Arabian citizen. She was Emperor, clearly highly educated, very intelligent, and no doubt highly adaptable. And tho she might still have the urge to eat a Kelpien and probably thinks humans should enslave other species that doesn't mean she can't put those thoughts and opinions aside in the interest of her own survival in this very different universe.

Last edited:
Finally caught up. The second half of season 1 was a lot better than the first. The episodes before Christmas were quite boring. The ones after were much more interesting.

It was a twist about Lorca, but people already speculated he might be from the mirror universe before.

I wish Michelle Yeoh were the captain of the Discovery. They shouldn't have killed her off before. At least she'll still guest star now.

It was cool to have the original Star Trek theme music at the end. I hope next season is more of a traditional Trek series about exploitation and hope.

Caught up with the last few episodes and overall I liked the series, though it was rather uneven. Stopping letting the obvious continuity issues bother me helped. Will be interested to see where they go from here.

And I have to say I prefer the facelift they gave the old enterprise to any of the clumsy designs (imo) used in the reboot movies.

If it isn't Lorca Prime ill be surprised. I just cant see them introducing a 3rd face to us. Having essentially 5 captains in 1 season was already a bit much, acting captain or not.

I really need Georgiou to come back full time! But I wasnt surprised about her reaction to Michael. They still have feelings for their counterparts and see aspects of those people within each other. Michael is her weakness.

I think Lorca Prime will show up eventually.

The whole cast and crew were chanting bring back Lorca when Issacs filmed his final scene as mirror Lorca.

Whoever they have as the new Captain needs to have some presence or gravitas

So are we thinking there may be a [BLACKOUT]Cadet or Ensign Spock aboard the Enterprise[/BLACKOUT]? The way Burnham and Sarek looked at each other when they realised which ship it was has me wondering. I know he [BLACKOUT]served under Pike before Kirk[/BLACKOUT], so...

I think Lorca Prime will show up eventually.

The whole cast and crew were chanting bring back Lorca when Issacs filmed his final scene as mirror Lorca.

Whoever they have as the new Captain needs to have some presence or gravitas

I dug Lorca, but bringing back both Georgiou and Lorca in the form of their alternate selves may be a bit repetitive.

Initially I did not like Discovery, but after the Jonathan Frakes directed episode, I think the show has just gone from strength to strength.
As for the appearance of the big E. In the finale, I was impressed.
I think that the upgraded look is lovely and a fitting homage to the original.

Can’t wait to see the Enterprise crew and what their bridge will look like in season two... :woot:

Last edited:
So are we thinking there may be a [BLACKOUT]Cadet or Ensign Spock aboard the Enterprise[/BLACKOUT]? The way Burnham and Sarek looked at each other when they realised which ship it was has me wondering. I know he [BLACKOUT]served under Pike before Kirk[/BLACKOUT], so...

Since when have we needed to post in spoiler tags in this thread after an episode has aired? In any event, that last "spoiler" is over 50 years old. If people don't know that by now, they never will.

According to certain Trek experts, Spock was a lieutenant during “The Cage” (the first TOS pilot). And since “The Cage” occurred three years before the DISCO season 1 finale, cadet or ensign would violate continuity. (It’s also possible that Spock might be up to lieutenant commander by his point - his rank, apparently, during the first few Kirk episodes.)

As I understand it, Burnham is a couple/three years older than Spock.

Spock as a lieutenant in Discovery would work for me.

Though an appearance by Capt. Pike is strongly implied, some folks are speculating that a pretext will be used to explain Spock’s absence onboard Enterprise. Reason: too difficult to cast the part - or too blasphemous to even try.

Since when have we needed to post in spoiler tags in this thread after an episode has aired? In any event, that last "spoiler" is over 50 years old. If people don't know that by now, they never will.

I couldn't remember so threw them up to be polite. :mnm:

According to certain Trek experts, Spock was a lieutenant during “The Cage” (the first TOS pilot). And since “The Cage” occurred three years before the DISCO season 1 finale, cadet or ensign would violate continuity. (It’s also possible that Spock might be up to lieutenant commander by his point - his rank, apparently, during the first few Kirk episodes.)

As I understand it, Burnham is a couple/three years older than Spock.

Ah good, I couldn't remember the timeline too much.

Finding a reason for him not to be onboard at that time would feel a little convenient, but I'd definitely understand their reasoning if they went that route.

Not that this show's off the air (for about a year apparently), I may just use the spare hour to brush up on my TOS.

Though an appearance by Capt. Pike is strongly implied, some folks are speculating that a pretext will be used to explain Spock’s absence onboard Enterprise. Reason: too difficult to cast the part - or too blasphemous to even try.

Spock doesn't necessarily need to be there on board the Enterprise. He could be on an away mission when Pike calls.

Or they could just show his boots like they did with Superman in the first season of Supergirl. :o

Now how are they going to explain the Klingons not only looking more human, but also even having hair as Klingons?

Are they going to encounter a Klingon named R'gaine? :o

Spock doesn't necessarily need to be there on board the Enterprise. He could be on an away mission when Pike calls.

Or they could just show his boots like they did with Superman in the first season of Supergirl. :o

Now how are they going to explain the Klingons not only looking more human, but also even having hair as Klingons?

Are they going to encounter a Klingon named R'gaine? :o

About half way into the season I gave up trying to think of how they are gonna explain away the changes to the appearance of the Klingons, as I suspected the writers had no explanation themselves.

Like the design they have for the original Enterprise (which is kinda in-between TOS and refit designs), its basically a cosmetic ret-con/update/ignore of continuity.

Was able to enjoy the show more once I stopped thinking about all that tbh.

It was obvious the Enterprise had to be updated visually for its appearance in Discovery, I was worried it would be some sort of JJ Abrams monstrosity...

But I think the CG artists here did a wonderful job and gave us something familiar enough, yet with a sufficiently modernised look.

With that said, I am very interested in seeing what they do with the bridge of our beloved Connie. Especially as it should be based upon what the Enterprise bridge looked like in "The Cage".

Does anyone have a screenshot of the updated Enterprise?

Are they going to have uniforms similar to the Cage or will they wear something like the crew of the USS Discovery?

star-trek-discovery-enterprise-1081746.jpeg

It's a much better modernization on the classic than Abram's clumsy looking ships (imo).

A good balance between TOS and movie refit (the latter being my personal favourite Enterprise).

It's a mix of both. From TOS it has the old style gold deflector dish, no visible torpedo launchers at the base of the neck, and round glowing red ends on the nacelles.

From movie refit it has wider tapered angled struts, and glowing blue inner strips on the nacelles.

Thanks. There must be one from the front.

It kind of looks like TOS movie version.

I hope the interior looks 60-ish.

Here's one from the front:

O5THDCf.png

And slightly clearer image of it from the rear:

ri8ZxG7.png

Also interested to see how they go about updating the interior, they've done a good job updating the ToS ship design while still having it be distinctively ToS, I hope they manage to do the same for the interior, and eventually the uniforms.

Last edited:
Here's one from the front:

O5THDCf.png

And slightly clearer image of it from the rear:

ri8ZxG7.png

Also interested to see how they go about updating the interior, they've done a good job updating the ToS ship design while still having it be distinctively ToS, I hope they manage to do the same for the interior, and eventually the uniforms.

For comparison:

3b94692c70a96fd0adb878879a8991cbd88d58ca.jpg

Enterprise-A.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"