Star Trek Into Darkness - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, Mitchell was helmsman for the Enterprise in TOS, and navigation's kinda key for them, so that could be a Mitchell clue.

Good one! Also Chekov was seen wearing 'red' in the next trailer, perhaps he got moved temporarily. Meaning someone else took his spot on deck. Gary?

I can't tell you how annoying it is that Cumberbatch's name is a "secret." It can only be one of two characters or a completely new character, which is doubtful to say the least. They treat us like idiots. "Let's keep his name a secret! Don't tell anyone!"

I know it can be hard to accept....but not everyone needs to know every single thing about a movie before they go see it. They are not required by law to tell you.

I'm pretty sure this is in a different context too. Isn't this the prologue? Plus this would match the hands in the window shot in the trailer.

My prediction is that Cumberbatch is a former Enterprise crew member (whether he's Mitchell or not) and he was left behind because they thought the situation he was in would pose a threat to the entire crew (I'm thinking something to do with the volcano). So Kirk made the tough choice of sacrificing a crew member for his entire family. When they think he is dead, he survives, coming back with these powers exacting vengeance.

It touches upon the "The needs of the many" theme nicely, and it may not even be Khan. Which would be cool.

I hope they explore the idea that now Kirk is in the captain's chair, he will have to make difficult decisions. They touched upon that and he earned being captain in the first one by doing the unconventional.

Now that is is in the position of the captain, there are choices to be made that he may have never thought he would be able to do. And they could come back to haunt him. It fits into his "Is there anything you would not do for your family?" line in the trailer. I'm betting Cumberbatch will put him into a position where he will have to make the same choice he made with Cumberbatch on a much larger scale.

That all sounds possible. I do think that Kirk will be forced to make some tough decisions in this, based off Pine's comments that he "earns" the Captain's seat and that he had a "difficult" scene with Cumberbatch's character.

I know it can be hard to accept....but not everyone needs to know every single thing about a movie before they go see it. They are not required by law to tell you.

I completely agree, but it is also clear JJ is getting a kick out of this. :woot:

He could reverse it where he gives Kirk the choice of sacrificing his family on the Enterprise for a much bigger thing. Like say, Starfleet, San Francisco or even Earth. Then maybe Kirk will fill the shoes of his father and sacrifice himself. If they pull a WOK but with Kirk's death, I wouldn't mind it as long as it's great for the story.

He could reverse it where he gives Kirk the choice of sacrificing his family on the Enterprise for a much bigger thing. Like say, Starfleet, San Francisco or even Earth. Then maybe Kirk will fill the shoes of his father and sacrifice himself. If they pull a WOK but with Kirk's death, I wouldn't mind it as long as it's great for the story.

Though it's an intriguing idea, good luck seeing that happening. At least Spock was a Vulcan.

I can't tell you how annoying it is that Cumberbatch's name is a "secret." It can only be one of two characters or a completely new character, which is doubtful to say the least. They treat us like idiots. "Let's keep his name a secret! Don't tell anyone!"
John Harrison. If it is him, they're not lying, since they have said it was an old character from the show, which he is.

I've lost count of how many time I've the preview watched since it came out the other day. The wait was worth it, and next May is going to be alot of fun with this and IM3 hitting theaters.

But I don't think Cumberbatch is playing Khan either and agree that the John Harrison name is probably a ruse. So I'm also betting on him being Gary Mitchell or simply an original character.

Yeah Khan here would be the same unchanged young Khan from 'Space Seed'. That 'khan' note could allude to something or just a ploy, which Abrams has been doing since day one.

Personally, I'd be kind off annoyed if they got someone who didn't have at least somewhat of a physical resemblance to Richardo Moltaban. And I think they would be obligated to since as you said, Khan's backstory would still be the same despite whether or not the circumstances of his revival and meeting Kirk was now different.

So that's that main reason why I hope neither Cumberbatch or Weller is playing him.

He is not...this "John Harrison."

But I love secrecy! What the **** is wrong with keeping plot and character details under wraps? It makes the movie going experience more compelling! In this world where everything is exposed nowadays, a little secrecy and people **** themselves in a negative way.

Chill.

Silas Lesnick tweeted that Klingons are appearing in this movie!

Steven Weintraub from Collider also tweeted that Alice Eve's character is Carol Marcus!

Silas Lesnick tweeted that Klingons are appearing in this movie!

Steven Weintraub from Collider also tweeted that Alice Eve's character is Carol Marcus!

pretty much confirms who Cumberbatch will be playing then.

Original Carol Marcus
Elizabeth_Dehner_After.jpg

pretty much confirms who Cumberbatch will be playing then.

Original Carol Marcus
Elizabeth_Dehner_After.jpg
That's Elizabeth Dehner.

It's funny, on Carol Marcus' Memory Alpha page, it says this:
It has been suggested that Carol was the "blonde lab technician" Kirk was introduced to by Gary Mitchell years earlier, mentioned in "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

!!!! The villain of Into Darkness has been revealed and it isn't Gary Mitchell!!!!

:oldrazz:

John Harrison, huh? Between that and Gary Mitchell, you do kind of half expect him to have just been a mild mannered accountant or something with that name. But it makes him even more creepy to have a "normal" name.

John Harrison, huh? Between that and Gary Mitchell, you do kind of half expect him to have just been a mild mannered accountant or something with that name. But it makes him even more creepy to have a "normal" name.
What the hell do you want him to be named, Evil McBadguy? lol As long as the movie isn't named Star Trek the Wrath of John Harrison who cares?

The thing is that Gary Mitchell is known by Trek fans as probably one of their most powerful and deadly enemies - pretty much the equivalent of Dark Phoenix. Couldn't Jean Grey sound a pretty ordinary and bland name too? It's to do with what the name becomes associated with.

It's not like there was ever anyone impressive named Jean (coughJeanne d'Arccough).

I have to agree, that Gary Mitchell isn't a very villainous name. But, in real life, many villains have fairly unremarkable names.

Blackbeard's real name was Edward Teach. Inspires fear, doesn't it?

Gary Mitchell isn't meant to sound villainous. He was meant to be Kirk's close friend, and even until the end you still felt sympathy for him and hoped that somehow he could be redeemed. Kirk even thought that Spock was coldhearted for wanting to strand him on that barren planet and hoped that somehow Gary could be saved. He was created differently to someone like Khan who was an out-and-out villain from the start.

Gary Mitchell's story was that someone ordinary could gain massive ESP powers and become a deadly threat to everyone. It was a different moral dilemma to Khan in Space Seed.

Another villain succumbs to the might of the transparent prison!

Okay, I've got one of those theories about how you can kind of combine Khan and Mitchell into this storyline:

Remember, the timeline was altered by Nero's attack in a way that made the Federation ever so slightly more aggresive and advanced. Here, Gary Mitchell is a cadet fresh out of Starfleet who goes off on an exploratory mission into deep space, while there, Mitchell encounters the Botany Bay, which as per Starfleet's new policy, he immediately begins experimenting and researching on.

Mitchell comes to realize they have stumbled upon the Augmented warriors of Khan Noonien Singh, and he and the research team begin trying to weaponize the genetic enhancements. As the changes take hold, the crew rapidly begins to turn treacherous, especially Mitchell, leading the commanding officer to blasting the research station their on into dust.

However, Mitchell clings tenaciously to life, and their experiments have awakened the slumbering crew of the Botany Bay, at which point Khan recovers Mitchell and, impressed by his ingenuity and raw hatred, helps heal him. Mitchell is now a slightly lesser Augment than Khan and his followers, having an obsessive impulse to avenge his "betrayal" at the hands of Starfleet and willing to play a part as Khan's vanguard scout and prophet, with the goal of crippling the Federation and bringing the Klingon Empire to heel underneath the coming of Khan.

I have to give it to Paramount and JJ on this one. They did a good job of trying to spread mis informatation out there to keep fans off the trail early on.

The jig is up though!

What is up with the title? Star Trek Into Darkness??

Kinda lame, but I'm sure the film will be good. How good though? Meh, we'll see.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back