Star Trek Into Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
I watched "Where no man has gone before' last night...(The Gary Mitchell episode) and now I think we'll get an updated version of that. I think the 9 minute look before the Hobbit might be the the incident that gives him his powers and shiny eyes

but Mitchell already apeared (and died) in the ongoing IDW Star Trek comic series that is considered canon by the people at Bad Robot

I did not know that...how did he die?

I did not know that...how did he die?
Kirk tries to plead with him, but Mitchell now sees himself as a god, demonstrating remarkable powers. As all hope seems lost, Spock sneaks up behind Mitchell and uses his Vulcan nerve pinch to neutralize him. Kirk takes the initiative and kills Mitchell with his phaser.

ok i got nothing...Charlie X maybe...back in TOS people were becoming gods left and right

but Mitchell already apeared (and died) in the ongoing IDW Star Trek comic series that is considered canon by the people at Bad Robot
Have they (Abrams specifically) actually come out and said this? Otherwise it shouldn't really matter.

They probably consider it Canon but they'll have no problem changing it for the movie

Have they (Abrams specifically) actually come out and said this? Otherwise it shouldn't really matter.
Bob Orci said so. He also is consultant for the writers to make sure it doesn't contradict anything in the movie and said in an interview one or two months ago that the series contains hints about plot points of Into Darkness.
edit:
here is a link to an article about it:#
http://www.tor.com/blogs/2012/07/straight-from-roberto-orci-current-trek-comics-are-canon
and here is the interview itself (the first one, not the one about plot points):
http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/17/exc...l-declares-movie-tie-in-comics-game-as-canon/

Last edited:
Oh interesting, did not know they already used Mitchell in this universe. Then that scratches that I guess.

Or maybe... it's just someone they created.

Based on my experiences at work, maybe a single software upgrade to the network paralyzes every ship in Starfleet, except the Enterprise which, based on the first movie, appears to be a Mac environment.

hehhe...best response.

Orci and folk have publicly spoken rescinding their view of the comic as canonical.

That said I doubt they would have done the story in the comic knowing that they were doing that storyline in the film.

There aren't that many people in TOS that Cumberbatch could be. The description doesn't read like Khan, so it seems likely to be Mitchell. He's hardly going to be Trelane or Mudd. Finnegan possibly, or one of these other Starship captains.

Even if they deny it's Mitchell, it still could be. Naomi Harris came out and explicitly said she wasn't playing Miss Moneypenny before Skyfall came out. Well, she was true about that wasn't she?

And Marion Cotillard said she wasn't Talia.

The point about Mitchell though is in the new universe comic series he's dead already, and they say it's cannon. So I doubt it would be Mitchell if that was the case.

And how many of the general audience or even many Trek fans have actually read the new comic? Many go just by the live action movies and TV series as to what is canonical. Haven't even the various novels been at one time canonical and then sometimes not? And even the 70s cartoon? As far as the general audience are aware, they probably don't even know of Gary Mitchell, let alone him having done anything in this universe.

And how many of the general audience or even many Trek fans have actually read the new comic? Many go just by the live action movies and TV series as to what is canonical. Haven't even the various novels been at one time canonical and then sometimes not? And even the 70s cartoon? As far as the general audience are aware, they probably don't even know of Gary Mitchell, let alone him having done anything in this universe.

That's not the point, there are fans (Trek fans can be pretty hardcore FY) that would know that the new universe timeline has already done the Mitchell story. And why would they do a comic of it during the time they were writing the film? They have been writing the film for quite a while, and these comics were coming out if I'm not mistaken. So it would be re-hash of what they already did. I'm just saying I think they may not do that.

His death in the new comic series could be a ruse. Just saying.

Dead in these things is always in quotation marks.

Quite a while back some were guessing Q. But I doubt the Q continuum would go to the lengths to destroy the fleet ect. They could just blink their eyes and destroy everyone in existence. So Q would be pointless as a villain. Q was always more of a mischievous little devil that made us prove our worth in the universe.

I would LOVE it if Tarsus IV played a part in the film. This was such a key moment in Kirk's life. I really hope this still happened in this timeline.

But man, whatever it is, I'm excited for it. It sounds like Kirk will be more serious in this film than the last, which I'm hoping for :)
Yes! I'd love to see Tarsus IV expanded in the reboot. I don't really get that vibe from this blurb, but it is pretty ambiguous, so it could it could be just about anything.

And Marion Cotillard said she wasn't Talia.

She wasn't.
She was Talia Miranda Tate Al Ghul. :hehe:

I like the synopsis for the film. I hope to see them work the enemies from either of the Elite Force games into the franchise at some point.

Those games were Voyager which takes place quite far into the future. The main villains of that series was the Borg, and during this century they are still far in the Delta Quadrant.

Those games were Voyager which takes place quite far into the future. The main villains of that series was the Borg, and during this century they are still far in the Delta Quadrant.

Well....remember Star Trek First Contact and "Regeneration" from Enterprise. Ah temporal mechanics :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"