Star Trek Movies

That's funny you say that, Star Trek II and VI were directed by the same guy, Nick Meyer. He was integral in developing the more Naval uniforms and aesthetic versus Roddenberry's Circus tights in TMP.

hehe, I know. I love Nick Meyer and what he did. IMO, he got the best out of Shatner in the films.

What he brought to Star Trek was vital. I wish he was there for ALL the films. Imagine what he'd have done if given the TNG films and the freedom to put his stamp on it. Wow. I believe he was approached for Nemesis but because Berman gave him no freedom, turned it down. IDIOT :cmad: (Berman, not you lol)

Wrath of Khan for me. Star Trek 2009 was awesome. The rest... meh

They are all fine... but I rather be watching WOK or episodes from TOS tbh... :woot:

Here. You can watch this with Ken Hom:

kh240_36cm_ns_4_piece_wok_set.jpg

The first 8 Trek movies are all pretty good. TMP being my favourite, for being more about ideas than action.

Insurrection and Nemesis are a bit of a letdown.

The reboot can kiss my ass.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

I know most don't care for it, but it has always been my favorite of the first 6.

Kirk breaking Star Fleet regulations to save his close friends McCoy and Spock.

The rest of the crew remaining loyal to Kirk to the bitter end.

Greatest scene in any of the Star Trek films:The destruction of the Enterprise - I teared up during that scene.
The dialogue between Kirk and McCoy as they watch the Enterprise burn up as it enters the atmosphere.
Kirk: "My God Bones, what have I done?" McCoy: "What you had to do. What you always do. Turn death into a fighting chance to live."

The swashbuckling Kirk as he and Krug fight on the Genesis planet surface.

Last edited:
Agreed. Insurrection is such a waste.

Disagree. To me, it's one of the best of the franchise. I'm glad it didn't get bogged down with a war but instead was more true to the TNG series. It had a message (moving people out of their homeland) and was character focused. And I loved that little twist involving the two races vying for the land space. Plus, F. Murray Abraham made a good, yet sympathetic villain.

Its actually not. Just too dark and depressing for the last voyage of the TNG crew.

Agreed. I loved the action sequences, which were intense. What I hated about Nemesis was the inconsistencies between it and the TNG series, trivial, but still---Picard was not bald as a cadet, but here he is. And Picard went out of character going aboard the ship, risking both his ship and his crew.

And it saddened me that my favorite Scifi character dies at the end---shades of Spock in Wrath of Khan. And they left the possibility that he could come back (like Spock) but...:huh:

Agreed. I loved the action sequences, which were intense. What I hated about Nemesis was the inconsistencies between it and the TNG series, trivial, but still---Picard was not bald as a cadet, but here he is. And Picard went out of character going aboard the ship, risking both his ship and his crew.

And it saddened me that my favorite Scifi character dies at the end---shades of Spock in Wrath of Khan. And they left the possibility that he could come back (like Spock) but...:huh:

Well if it had been successful maybe he could've come back. But because the TNG franchise has ended, Data is dead, and TNG has ended on a rather sour note.

The last film for that crew should've been something more triumphant like Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.

The film was also too visually dark.

I really do hope the TNG crew can come back one last time. Even if it's just a made for TV thing. Doubt it will ever happen though. :/

I really do hope the TNG crew can come back one last time. Even if it's just a made for TV thing. Doubt it will ever happen though. :/

I doubt it too. Brent Spiner is now 65. Unless they do CGI on his face the way they did to Jeff Bridges in the Tron remake, it would just be breaking reality too much in my view.

Disagree. To me, it's one of the best of the franchise. I'm glad it didn't get bogged down with a war but instead was more true to the TNG series. It had a message (moving people out of their homeland) and was character focused. And I loved that little twist involving the two races vying for the land space. Plus, F. Murray Abraham made a good, yet sympathetic villain.

Generations and Insurrection were the two movies that seemed truest to TNG series. The way Generations ended with Picard saying "two to beam up" seemed almost the way they would end an episode... just a more epic episode. I think Insurrection though felt a little too much like a two-part episode to me. Would be great if shown within the context of the series, but I think I wanted something a little bigger.

However on the whole the TNG films were a lot closer to the feel of the series than the original series films were to the 60s series.

I doubt it too. Brent Spiner is now 65. Unless they do CGI on his face the way they did to Jeff Bridges in the Tron remake, it would just be breaking reality too much in my view.

A CG Data head definitely wouldn't be ideal, CG Jeff Bridges already looks dated just a couple of years later. I'm sure there's some kind of prosthetic technique that could be used though.

TWOK was Star Trek's coming of age for me. There was a gritty realism to it. Obviously there were dark undertones too, but it captured the sense of action and adventure of TOS, with less of the naivete, which was what it needed then on the big screen. It kind of captured an era. Kirk and Co were accepting that time was moving on, they were getting older etc. Some of the big themes and questions are there behind the action, like they should be in any good Trek.
They didn't use the reset button at the end. Though an 'escape clause' if you like was hinted at, the sequel wasn't guaranteed at that point and most people probably thought that would have been the last Trek ever. The critical and popular acclaim assured the stream of sequels that ensued. Nicholas Meyer was our JJ back then.

Last edited:
:shock That is hard to believe, man the years are moving on!
Star Trek III: The Search for Spock

I know most don't care for it, but it has always been my favorite of the first 6.

Kirk breaking Star Fleet regulations to save his close friends McCoy and Spock.

The rest of the crew remaining loyal to Kirk to the bitter end.

Greatest scene in any of the Star Trek films:The destruction of the Enterprise - I teared up during that scene.
The dialogue between Kirk and McCoy as they watch the Enterprise burn up as it enters the atmosphere.
Kirk: "My God Bones, what have I done?" McCoy: "What you had to do. What you always do. Turn death into a fighting chance to live."

The swashbuckling Kirk as he and Krug fight on the Genesis planet surface.
I think its the exception to the odd numbered rule. I always liked that one too. Certainly as good as TVH, though TUC would be my 2nd place with FC 3rd.

I wouldn't put any of the odd-numbered films ahead of any of the even-numbered ones. Having said that though, the only odd-numbered Treks I either don't like or I think are just outright bad are The Final Frontier and Insurrection. The others, while they have problems of varying severity, are generally fine in my opinion.

Insurrection definetely the worst of the movies. I actually enjoyed nemesis a great deal especially spiners performance. If i had to pick a favorite i would have to say first contact.

Insurrection definetely the worst of the movies. I actually enjoyed nemesis a great deal especially spiners performance. If i had to pick a favorite i would have to say first contact.

I'm going to watch that tonight. I got the DVD on sale at a Bull Moose Music. I havent' seen it since its release over 15 yrs. ago.

And yeah, Spiner's performance in Nemesis, in fact ALL of the TNG films, has been stellar. :word:

I watched "First Contact" last night for the first time in over 15 years. I had forgotten who the first contact was. I remember my first reaction when I saw it in the theater. :awesome:

Was First Contact 15 years ago? :wow:

It's hard to believe it's that long ago. I always felt it like it came out in like -01, but its obviously some years older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"