Star Trek Movies

Yeah it was 1996. It's just that the time has passed so quickly.

Just watched First Contact. Man, what a fantastic movie.

Something fun. From 1996, Gene Siskel and Roger Ebert review "First Contact"

[YT]0NyEGDtOEEE[/YT]

I'm grown up with Star Trek and the first film (1979) was kind of revolution to me :word: :word:...god, this movie was awesome for that time and so the next 3, too :yay:

I know it's one of the odd ducks, but I've always been pretty partial to "The Search For Spock", for a number of reasons (besides the fact that it was the first Trek movie I saw in a theater):
- Call me a heretic, but I always liked Robin Curtis' Saavik more than Kirstie Alley's, for the simple reason that Curtis seemed more Vulcan-like.
- It's got the one Not-Khan Trek Villain (Kruge) that I like more than any others, due largely to the actor playing him (Christopher Lloyd).
- For that matter, John Larroquette as Maltz. Dan Fielding as a Klingon yes-man is too awesome for words.
- Mark Lenard is great as Sarek in this movie, going from raging to remorseful to resolute.
- On a related note, I think Vulcan looks a lot nicer in this movie than it did in TMP.
- Seeing more of Starfleet in this movie - Spacedock, the Excelsior, the Grissom.
- The Klingon Bird of Prey. Still remains my favorite non-Federation Trek ship design; wonderfully antithetical to the look of the Enterprise.
- The Promethean undercurrent to Genesis coming into bloom with the planet's demise. To me that's the only real payoff you could have to the Genesis thread.
- Stealing The Enterprise: still my favorite sequence of any Trek movie; ALL the cast regulars have their moment, and Horner's score is great.
- LOSING The Enterprise. To me that's the way it should be - Spock's return shouldn't be a free pass for Kirk, and David's death, while tragic, doesn't hold as much meaning simply because we barely knew him. If Kirk's gonna get his bro back, to me it's only right that he loses his One True Love in the process. It may not have the impact of Spock's death, but I still think it was a good call.

Past that, TVH comes in my second favorite, than FC.

There is a part of me that likes Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home most out of all the movies. Just so much fun!

I somehow have never seen First Contact. I was always a TOS fan but never big on TNG. I need to watch it though.

Anyway, Wrath of Khan will always be my favorite. Spock’s death gets me every time and while everyone makes fun of Shatner now, his acting in the funeral scene is perfect. And of course Ricardo Montalban is the best Trek villain ever. So, sooo good.

I somehow have never seen First Contact. I was always a TOS fan but never big on TNG. I need to watch it though.

Anyway, Wrath of Khan will always be my favorite. Spock’s death gets me every time and while everyone makes fun of Shatner now, his acting in the funeral scene is perfect. And of course Ricardo Montalban is the best Trek villain ever. So, sooo good.
Also ,the battles feel like a Submarine Movie In Space.

Submarine movies In space work really well for Star Trek.

Well, it worked well for Star Trek II because they went into that nebula where instruments didn't function as normal and they were battle damaged so they couldn't see where each ship would next appear and had to proceed very carefully. In normal space though they can detect each other (unless it's a cloaked ship) and can manoeuvre more easily so they wouldn't really operate like submarines. That's why the other space battles are not normally like that and wouldn't be very exciting with that slow pace either.

Of the original crew films, Undiscovered Country. Of Next Gen, First Contact and of the latest trilogy, love them all, but if pressed, would say the 2009 re-introduction film.

I really do love ST 2009. It really bugs me that the sequels weren’t better. They all felt like the same movie, beat for beat.

I really do love ST 2009. It really bugs me that the sequels weren’t better. They all felt like the same movie, beat for beat.
09 also had that epic feel the next 2 lacked.
Like the scale and the cinematography made it pop. That was really lacking in the next two imo. Except for the openining volcano planet scene in STID.

Same here. I thought we’d be getting a whole new generation of great films with that cast, and I loved pretty much the whole cast. They were young and could have played the roles for decades. The meeting of the 2 Spocks is one of my favourite film scenes.

Yeah I think they just missed momentum and an overall plan. Guess we’ll never know what could have been.

That said though it’s not like we’re suffering. There’s more Star Trek on our screens then ever before which is wonderfull

Yeah maybe the problem is not having a real plan beyond the reboot/restart. They probably should have mapped out a three-movie arc. JJ’s problem is that he’s really good at restarting things, but the follow-up is always messy. Whether he directs the sequel himself (STID) or hands it off to some one else (The Last Jedi) the lack of a clear overall plan in either series is evident. I think he knows what will bring people back and get them invested after a series goes on hiatus but he lacks the ability to create a whole story.

Yeah maybe the problem is not having a real plan beyond the reboot/restart. They probably should have mapped out a three-movie arc. JJ’s problem is that he’s really good at restarting things, but the follow-up is always messy. Whether he directs the sequel himself (STID) or hands it off to some one else (The Last Jedi) the lack of a clear overall plan in either series is evident. I think he knows what will bring people back and get them invested after a series goes on hiatus but he lacks the ability to create a whole story.
That's a good assessment with Abrams. And I'm a fan of his

That's a good assessment with Abrams. And I'm a fan of his

Yeah I am too; he’s great with character and visuals. But he struggles with big story arcs and relies a bit too much on nostalgia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"