Rebels Star Wars: Rebels - Part 1

After going through the first few episodes of Clone Wars Lost Missions,I'm reminded what a travisty it was to lose that show for this....:csad:

Yeah, how dare they make a much better show. :cwink:

Having now watched most of "Rebel"'s episodes, I do think we can see how different this show's DNA is compared to "Clone Wars."

Rebels benefits from the advantages of a consistent and cohesive tone, while The Clone Wars benefits from having more range. Each Rebels episode will present a high quality episode, but each will be more subdued than the most bombastic Clone Wars episode. In the flip side, the Clone Wars had episodes of truly epic scale and full on Space Opera arcs, but had just as many episodes that came out of nowhere that you really couldn't compare because they were so weirdly contrasted against each other, and a few stinkers that will be forgotten because they took time away from the better story arcs.

I'm liking the ensemble in Rebels a bit better right now, but that's because they're a true ensemble; they are designed and written with equal consideration for their interactions and individual storylines. In contrast, there never really was a solid ensemble for The Clone Wars; Ahsoka interacted better with Rex and Anakin than with Obi-Wan or Padme, and we had several different groups of characters that floated on their own and held arcs by themselves.

The biggest advantage to Rebels right now is the rogues gallery they've built up. Whereas Clone Wars had most of their greatest villains only show up later or spread out and forgotten while other arcs took precedent, both Kallas and the Inquisitor are powerful menaces in their own ways, while the two stooges, politician and the Stormtroopers occupy a still dangerous but more petty type of villainy. Seeing all the villains together in the midseason finale was very cool.

If Greg Weismann's track record holds, the second half will be awesome and continue to see a rise in the stakes in terms of storytelling, and will feature a well-earned finale. Hopefully, Filoni and the others will follow up on it with Weismann's departure.

I would say Rebels has not reached the heights of Season 4-6 of TCW, yet. Emphasis on yet. However Rebels S1 compared to TCW S1 I would say Rebels is off to a better start. Season 1 of TCW was hard for me to get through, parts of season 2 was as well. But after that TCW took off into space. But this show has just started, and I think it has a more solid beginning then TCW did. I have a feeling like before Dave will evolve the show and it gets better and more interesting.

Rebels has to really spend time introducing these new characters more than TCW did. TCW had to really only introduce Ahsoka. Rebels we have to get to know all of these people. I've already heard the "Path to a Jedi" episode of Rebels is one of the best. To me it feels like Rebels is ramping up and getting ready to become part of a bigger picture.

Path of the Jedi would be better if it took place on another planet. It kinda negated some parts of the last two episodes.

If budget's an issue(which I can clearly see that it is), they could have put the whole episode on Dantooine which looks the same as Lothal and would make more sense with the Jedi Outposts plus gives the sense that they're branching out thus forwarding the overall story. But no, this show doesn't want to expand the galaxy we're seeing and wants to keep things static. What a missed opportunity.:down:down:down

I have watched every episode of TCW. I definitely like it. But this shows already has the structure, characters and focus TCW was always crying out for. Clone Wars had stretches of episodes that just aren't good, and more annoyingly stretches when the idea was great, but let down by poor, under baked writing. Too many poorly written, that seem only to exist to anger my Star Wars loving heart. For every Ahsoka arc that I liked, there are 2 or 3 that I rather not watch again. The Maul and Boba stuff... just don't. Plus Rebels just sounds better. Literally.

That being said, I will always be grateful for episodes like Trepass, Ryloth, the original Mando arc, the Rookies arc, Umbara, the Slave arc (Now here is something interesting about Anakin), and really all the Yoda episodes.

I have watched every episode of TCW. I definitely like it. But this shows already has the structure, characters and focus TCW was always crying out for. Clone Wars had stretches of episodes that just aren't good, and more annoyingly stretches when the idea was great, but let down by poor, under baked writing. Too many poorly written, that seem only to exist to anger my Star Wars loving heart. For every Ahsoka arc that I liked, there are 2 or 3 that I rather not watch again. The Maul and Boba stuff... just don't. Plus Rebels just sounds better. Literally.

That being said, I will always be grateful for episodes like Trepass, Ryloth, the original Mando arc, the Rookies arc, Umbara, the Slave arc (Now here is something interesting about Anakin), and really all the Yoda episodes.

I couldn't disagree more, TCW at it's peak was light years ahead of this show on every level so far, especially as far as voice acting and visuals go. Even at it's weakest I'd say it was comfortably better. Not that I dislike Rebels, far from it, but in all departments so far it's a long way off TCW quality IMO.

I couldn't disagree more, TCW at it's peak was light years ahead of this show on every level so far, especially as far as voice acting and visuals go. Even at it's weakest I'd say it was comfortably better. Not that I dislike Rebels, far from it, but in all departments so far it's a long way off TCW quality IMO.
I prefer TCW visuals, but disagree on the voice acting. TCW at its peak probably is better, but that is because it had over 100 episodes to try and make it work. And even still season 5 of TCW was scatter shot at best. It is unfair to compare 10 episodes to 10 episodes out of 100. If you compare the shows relative to each season, it isn't close. There isn't a Rebels episodes I haven't watched multiple times.

The best thing about Rebels is that it lives up to the idea of Star Wars. It has created a world where you get Star Wars like adventures every week, without stepping on the canon or making the film characters look weak just because this is a TV show. They are a ragtag group fighting the good fight as they come together as a family.

Plus, no Ahsoka. Ezra is actually angry without being annoying.

I prefer TCW visuals, but disagree on the voice acting. TCW at its peak probably is better, but that is because it had over 100 episodes to try and make it work. And even still season 5 of TCW was scatter shot at best. It is unfair to compare 10 episodes to 10 episodes out of 100. If you compare the shows relative to each season, it isn't close. There isn't a Rebels episodes I haven't watched multiple times.

Well you kinda started us down this path with your reply to Human Torch, I mean people are going to talk as a whole, not isolate 10 eps from the first season, I guess comparing most aspects at this juncture is not wise except the voice acting IMO which so far is 50/50 in Rebels but was excellent in TCW, so lets just say that in me eyes and seemingly others, this show has a lot of work to do to catch up with TCW, maybe it will, we shall see. :)

The best thing about Rebels is that it lives up to the idea of Star Wars. It has created a world where you get Star Wars like adventures every week, without stepping on the canon or making the film characters look weak just because this is a TV show. They are a ragtag group fighting the good fight as they come together as a family.

Hmmmm, I just don't see that in truth, Rebels feels more elseworlds to me and I found TCW's layered storytelling that added much to the PT and the overall saga enthralling. However Rebels is building, lets see if it can add some weight to it's adventure of the week format, which is more Indy than Star Wars which has always been multi-layered storytelling in it's very nature.

Plus, no Ahsoka. Ezra is actually angry without being annoying.

I loved Ahsoka, don't mind Ezra, Kanen is the weak link though I'd say so far when compared to Obi-Wan and Anakin in TCW, mainly b/c FPJ is a bit wooden.

Well you kinda started us down this path with your reply to Human Torch, I mean people are going to talk as a whole, not isolate 10 eps from the first season, I guess comparing most aspects at this juncture is not wise except the voice acting IMO which so far is 50/50 in Rebels but was excellent in TCW, so lets just say that in me eyes and seemingly others, this show has a lot of work to do to catch up with TCW, maybe it will, we shall see. :)
You mean a reply to the guy that likes to go around complaining about anything OT or ST while praising anything prequel? That is why I made the post.

Hmmmm, I just don't see that in truth, Rebels feels more elseworlds to me and I found TCW's layered storytelling that added much to the PT and the overall saga enthralling. However Rebels is building, lets see if it can add some weight to it's adventure of the week format, which is more Indy than Star Wars which has always been multi-layered storytelling in it's very nature.
Elsewhere story? Nah, I don't get that at all. Elsewhere for me is something like The Force Unleashed or well a character like Ahsoka. Someone who is suppose to represent something super pivotal in the story, to the point that they try and build them up as more then the main characters of the saga, but are no where to be found in the actual films. You'd think a character like Ahsoka would be relevant to the fall of Vader and would thus be important to Episode III. Except nothing.

You can have multilayer storytelling, but if those layers are full of clashing ideas and mischaracterizations, it is a losing battle. This is TCW in a nutshell. How do we lose Dooku this week, Grievous next, Ventress another. It is a game of chicken, not character. That is why the clones ended up having some of the more effective stories. You didn't have to dance with them.

And I think you are way off base on the structure of Rebels. It is very similar to the original Star Wars, just being told in long form. There is a through plotline, and has been since the first episode. Unlike TCW which jumped plots and timeline all the time. More importantly Rebels is very focused on character work and development, and once again the lack of jumping about doesn't lead to odd character work at the best of times.

The Clone Wars gets credit for being better then the prequels. Which isn't really that much of an accomplishment, but far from being Adventure Time, BTAS, TLA, etc.

I loved Ahsoka, don't mind Ezra, Kanen is the weak link though I'd say so far when compared to Obi-Wan and Anakin in TCW, mainly b/c FPJ is a bit wooden.
I definitely like Kanan, and like FPJ in the role. He is an adult apprentice of sorts, with no one too show him the way. This last episode watching him try to fudge being Ezra's Jedi master by always putting the responsibility on Ezra or "the Force". He doesn't believe half the stuff that comes out of his mouth. They are learning together, and far more effectively then Anakin and Ahsoka ever were.

Never could stand Ahsoka. She is everything I hate about teenage leads. It is like they took the worst aspect of the Hogwarts trio and stuffed them all into her.

Last edited:
^^^ Not really much point in me wasting yours or my time in replying mate as we are just saying the complete opposite of each other lol.

Happy New Year. :)

^^^ Not really much point in me wasting yours or my time in replying mate as we are just saying the complete opposite of each other lol.

Happy New Year. :)
Oh Hunter, I love ya. :up:

tumblr_nebmegWLGA1s9ijc6o1_500.gif

And hey, maybe we will get some more Clone Wars to talk about some day. The voice of Anakin was recording some material recently for Lucasfilms. You never know.

Of course Rebels is better.It's got actual Stormtroopers and Tie Fighters.:o

I'm not going to say TCW was always a great achievement. In truth,there was as many episodes I wasn't keen on as there was epics.But there was a sense of something of worth developing.It actually expected you to use your brain a little bit. Unfortunately,it seems they finally got bold enough to embrace some really worthwhile storylines just in time to be canceled.

With Rebels,I get the sense it's the same kiddie crap Disney has been peddling with their Marvel toons.Very lightweight romps with cardboard cut out characters,with just enough OT flourishes to keep adult fanboys interested.

How many episodes does Vader show up in?

Bummer...

I'm going to catch up tomorrow on my off day, only have seen the 'special first episode'.

Oh Hunter, I love ya. :up:

tumblr_nebmegWLGA1s9ijc6o1_500.gif

And hey, maybe we will get some more Clone Wars to talk about some day. The voice of Anakin was recording some material recently for Lucasfilms. You never know.

Back at ya man! :D

I'd love to see them take the arcs they have the storyboards and animation started on and finish them for one last BR release. It'll be interesting to see what he was voice recording for, I guess it could be a character in Rebels or maybe a video game though, time will tell.

I've been catching up on Rebels... love the little things we're seeing for the first time in the SW world and other things from a different POV or a what-have-you of things we 'know so well' like the Tie Fighter stealing scene, stormtrooper training..., and the Jedi training stuff that lacked between Obi/Anakin n the PT and CW.

"Path of the Jedi" Glad this show is back and thought this episode was outstanding!
Really enjoying Ezra's Jedi training. Seeing him traverse the temple while being haunted by visions and find his Kaiburr crystal was realy cool. Frank Oz returning as the voice of Yoda was awesome! Interesting design to Ezra's lightsaber at the end.

After binging all day, I can safely say this show greatly expands the world and makes it so lived in. Seeing events like Empire Day, the evolution of ships and tools and other SW knowledge is so fun.

With Rebels,I get the sense it's the same kiddie crap Disney has been peddling with their Marvel toons.Very lightweight romps with cardboard cut out characters,with just enough OT flourishes to keep adult fanboys interested.

Have...have you actually watched anything beyond the first few episodes?

Yeah, maybe the first 15 minutes of the first episode and some of, I think episode 4/5... was a little like that but this show is even more adult than the first 1-2, maybe 3 seasons of TCW.

Plus, all of the little world building, new things involving old things (stormtroopers/tie-fighters/JEDIs), and dense storytelling makes this nothing like any cartoon on television, except maybe Korra.

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't get how you can compare this show to Jeph Loeb's current Marvel garbage after episodes like "Rise of the Old Masters", the "Empire Day" two-parter, or "Path of the Jedi".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"