Star Wars: The Old Republic - Part 1

This is going free to play eventually. I said that quite a while ago and I still believe it will. With ever shrinking subscriptions they will be forced to adopt a new model or shut down the game...the latter not really being a viable option.

that is the real issue of keeping costumers . even though some people don't realize it.

BioWare-Mythic says F2P is the 'democratization of game prices'

(7 hours ago)
Business models, MMO industry, News items, Free-to-play, Consoles, Miscellaneous

What's this, another studio bigwig has said that microtransactions are the consumer-friendly way of the future? We're positively shocked!

This time around, the refrain was sung by BioWare-Mythic vice president Eugene Evans. The occasion was the Develop conference in Brighton, where Evans also opined that cheaper needs to be better. "The lower the price, the better your product needs to be, especially if it's going to stand out. Any notion of pay-to-win means we've done a bad job of it," Evans said.

He also touched on the challenges developers will face as the current console generation gives way to the next. Gamers are already part of large communities connected to their current hardware, he says, and the company that best manages a large-scale community migration from one platform to the next will be "the most successful," according to Evans.
Source: Gamespot

SWTOR dominates GDC Online Awards nominations

(1 hour ago)
World of Warcraft, Events, real-world, MMO industry, Star Wars: The Old Republic, RIFT, TERA, Miscellaneous

The nominations for the Third Annual GDC Online Awards are up, and Star Wars: The Old Republic is represented across the board. BioWare's sci-fi MMO netted six nominations, including one for Online Innovation.

That's not to say that SWTOR is the only MMO in the running; quite the contrary. Glitch is up for Best Online Game Design, World of Warcraft has a shot at Best Community Relations, RIFT is a strong contender for Best Live Game, and TERA might snag Best Online Visual Arts -- and that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's also a broader Audience Award that encompasses an even wider field.

2012's Game Developers Conference Online is taking place from October 9th through 11th and will be keynoted by John Smedley.
Source: GDC Online Awards 2012

good news!!

now....if only it would come to the consoles.......

Maybe next gen.
I was thinking the same with the way this was done I can see the publishers saying that. cause of the way the game has gone farther then most MMo's with the way it's pushed/ catered to the player game play wise .

Last edited:
I don't really see why they can't port this to the consoles.

if you can have DCUO or Final Fantasy XIV on the PS3, I don't see why you can't have Old Rep.

well it's mostlikely will be the publishers like sony and MS that will push for it seeing that it's an MMO and the fact that it pushed the boundaries of what usually makes an MMO with all the in game voice work and extra stuff like chose's made in game that the other MMO's don't have content wise. It's just cause of that I see them using it as an Excuse for that.

It's not your normal MMO. that and the hard drive space that MMo's usually take up. for them it'll be good enough reason to do so. And their ready to move to the new consoles any way. it's up to the publishers that want it to be so, since every thing else that hasn't been put on the current console ones will be on the Next gen due to the Tech pushing the boundaries on some level.

Dang, didn't see you there ben's . going ninja on me. Any way yeah it's as I said raven, sorry it's just how the boss's of these companies think and what is most likely to be supported. Not that the current consoles won't be supported, but their not going to be as supported by the publishers as the up coming next gens will be.

Last edited:
^ hmmm.....that's a good point about HD space required. I kind of forgot about that.......

I guess what I really want is another KOTOR-style, single player RPG designed for the consoles.

lol most of us did it wasn't an unforeseen thing..

so, once it goes free-to-play, does that mean you won't have to buy a retail disc, and that the stores will stop selling the retail discs?

you'll just be able to download it free online?

ummm not necessarily if retail stores stop selling it , It'll be due to a chose from their upper management like say if game stop EB games did that.

Investment group predicts positive returns for Star Wars: The Old Republic following free-to-play announcement

(1 hour ago)
Sci-fi, Business models, MMO industry, News items, Free-to-play, Star Wars: The Old Republic

Yesterday's bombshell from Star Wars: The Old Republic has prompted the usual spirited debate among fans over the game: Is this a last gasp before it dies or a smart move in the current MMO marketplace? Wedbush Securities believes it's the latter, with analyst Michael Pachter stating that the news from Electronic Arts is positive and that the change in business models should result in a significant profit for the game.

Pachter described Wedbush's reaction as "incorrigibly positive," with specific emphasis on EA's digital catalogue and the free-to-play shift for Star Wars: The Old Republic. According to his analysis, the change in business models will remove the most significant hurdles from potential players, leading to a net increase in revenue from the game. The market as a whole responded positively to the financial news, with EA's stock rising six percent as a result of the call. Pachter has previously been critical of the MMO market, having claimed in early July that subscriber numbers have peaked for the industry as a whole.

No problem . :)

The MMO Report: Updates on updates edition

(1 day ago)
Video, MMO industry, News items, Humor, The MMO Report, Miscellaneous

This week's installment of The MMO Report is an update on the news around the MMO industry, as it is every week. The first item on host Casey Schreiner's agenda is the The Secret World's first major update. So if you want to make a joke in the comments about getting some updates in your updates, well, we just made that joke for you. Sorry to disappoint.

But that's not all there is to cover in this week's installment, as there's also an announcement about Star Wars: The Old Republic going free-to-play. You might have heard about it. Last but not least, it's time for the show to dive back into its mailbag, complete with fan art that has to be seen to be perceived. Click on past the break to see the full video, and tune in every week to see a new installment of The MMO Report from G4TV and Massively. Continue Reading

Source: G4TV feed

SWTOR lead writer hints at future content

(2 hours ago)
Sci-fi, Events, in-game, Lore, Rumors, Star Wars: The Old Republic

Twitter was abuzz this morning when a Star Wars: The Old Republic lead writer posted a cryptic message. "SIS Intel Report: Rumors indicate Czerka research vessel 'Theoretika' has been located by deep-space salvage team. Investigating," Hall Hood announced on his account.

Speculation abounded from many of his followers and fans of the game with the biggest theory revolving around a possible live event. Unfortunately for SWTOR players who scoured planet after planet searching for new content, Hood replied, "Just to clarify: I was only giving a little preview of future content. I would never announce an in-game event on Twitter." We are disappointed.

However, Hood did give us a bit of joy when the tweeters proposed that it might be a new flashpoint. Hood answered that suggestion with "Not exactly. You'll see very soon, I hope." Does that mean SWTOR will announce 1.4 content soon? We have our fingers crossed.

Stay tuned for more SWTOR news and be sure to catch our weekly Hyperspace Beacon column later today.

BioWare teases SWTOR world event with news video

(9 hours ago)
Sci-fi, Trailers, Video, Events, in-game, MMO industry, News items, Star Wars: The Old Republic

BioWare is teasing a new Star Wars: The Old Republic world event by releasing a new video on YouTube this afternoon. The clip runs for about a minute and a half, and it's an in-character news broadcast that warns players about "the disturbing activities of the Chevin Conglomerate."

Apparently there's something of a scavenger hunt in the works. Darth Hater speculates that The Grand Acquisition Race event will begin on Nar Shaddaa's promenade and spread across multiple planets (pro tip: You'll need a spaceship to fully participate). BioWare has yet to specify a starting date or time for the festivities, but you can check out the teaser after the break.

so retailers have this @ $15.

if I buy it retail, do I still have to pay the monthly sub fee?

so retailers have this @ $15.

if I buy it retail, do I still have to pay the monthly sub fee?

I think so, but the game is becoming Free 2 Play soon so I guess you could buy it and just wait for F2P to come around?

Star Wars: The Old Republic previews Terror From Beyond

(1 hour ago)
Sci-fi, Patches, Previews, Endgame, News items, Star Wars: The Old Republic

If you can't wait for the next tier of Operations in Star Wars: The Old Republic, you'll be happy to know that the newest tier is being added in update 1.4. You may be slightly less happy to know that the new operation, Terror From Beyond, is not meant to be a cakewalk by any stretch of the imagination. A new developer diary explains the lore behind the operation and some of the threats that players will be facing on the swamp planet of Asation.

Colonized and largely abandoned by the Gree, Asation is a swamp planet that houses a massive hyperspace gate. The Dread Masters, a group of Sith not known for sunny dispositions, have opened the gate and started filling the planet with all manner of horrible creatures. The operation promises to offer new encounters and mechanics beyond what's been seen in previous raids, something for dedicated endgame players to look forward to in the next major content update.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"