Star Wars: The Old Republic

Status
Not open for further replies.
They're just really poorly made. It's virtually impossible to tell a decent story with them. Most of them consist of you running up to something and hitting the 1-9 keys until the enemy mob is killed, which gets monotonous as soon as you do it, so they're not exactly fun. And almost every quest is the same, across all games. It's a genre thing. Go here, kill X amount of these creatures, then come back. What, you've already killed X amount of these creatures? Well then, go back and kill even more of the same creatures! And they rinse and repeat this formula for 500+ hours of "content". It's pretty damn awful.

Good thing Bioware will save us all.

And embarrass the joke that is Sony Online Entertainment in the process... that's really my favorite part of the whole thing.

Granted MMOs have improved in the story telling department. Now you'll get huge, long, and involved quest strings with a progressing story taht usually has a bit more than "go here and kill this". Well it's either "Go here and do this" or "Go here and collect this" but MMOs will never be able to match the very best of single player offline story driven games, but the best stories in MMOs aren't bad.

I doubt it. Everyone seems content to just rinse off the old formula, rip off WoW's interface, and call it a day.

Wow has a good interface, and actually manages to have gameplay if you play beyond level 10. But realistically, I mean, how could a company making an MMO really match up to an offline story driven game. Your hands are tied by the very nature of the game.

What is the very nature of the game, exactly? The fact that thousands of people have to tread the same paths, is that the issue?

BioWare now lists the LucasArts/BioWare Interactive Product, under the in development category on their site while the MMO and the New Next Gen Game are still listed.

I don't know if it means anything but I do believe that this LucasArts/BioWare Interactive Product might not be an MMO afterall. I doubt the MMO team would have time to work on 2 MMOs. That's if, like I said above, the fact that the LucasArts/BioWare Interactive Product is listed as a different product (not the MMO or the New Next Gen Game), means something.

I really hope it's KotOR III. I watched all the trailers from KotOR and I remembered how excited I was back then...it even made me want to play it again...even though I've already finished it 4 times.

They'd be dumb for it not to. The KOTOR franchise is a cash cow in addition to just being great games.

They were looking for writers for this.
Also this doesn't have to be a Star wars game it could.... Willow:O:O

Willow? Like, the fantasy movie starring that midget dude, Willow? Why would anyone make a game out of that?

It was all right when I was like 5. How would a game based on it be functionally any different from the Hobbit levels of the LotR games, though? They kinda got the market cornered on fantasy midgets.

It was all right when I was like 5. How would a game based on it be functionally any different from the Hobbit levels of the LotR games, though? They kinda got the market cornered on fantasy midgets.

it could be a Indiana Jones MMORPGS. killing Nazi's over the internet and finding treasure... awesome.

Lucas has that TH-whatever-then-a-bunch-of-numbers thing, too.

"Star Wars The Old Republic"
"Star Wars Sagas"
"Star Wars Legends"

So why list the above titles? Becasue LFL apparently has trademarked all 3 for “Entertainment services provided on-line by means of global and local area networks, namely, providing interactive computer game software, interactive video game software and interactive computer games and interactive video games, all on-line by means of global and local area networks”

Could one of the titles be that of the future online MMO we have been anticipating and reporting rumors on for some time now? The names were officially registered with the United States Patent and Trademark Office on July 3, 2008 so all of a sudden, the rumors and speculation don't seem so far fetched. Click here to visit the source post at Starwars-Universe.com for a screenshot of the trademark. More as we hear it though you can check out the related links to catch up on some of the rumors we have been hearing over the past year or so.

TheForce.net

"N. Evan Van Zelfden in Los Angeles warns, watch out World of Warcraft. In an interview at E3 this week, Electronic Arts chief executive John Riccitiello said that EA is working on the next version of Star Wars game Knights of the Old Republic, and it will most certainly have a massively multiplayer online component to it.

"We've got two of the most compelling MMOs in the industry in development," said Riccitiello. The first title, based on the Warhammer property, will launch soon. "And the one that people are dying for us to talk to them about -- in partnership with Lucas, coming out of BioWare, which is, I think, quite possibly the most anticipated game, full stop, for the industry at the point when we get closer to telling you about it."

Does Riccitiello mean the oft rumored Knights of the Old Republic Online? "Yes," he said."

TheForce.net

Knights Of The Old Republic will be the one MMO I will gladly pay a subscription fee for as long as its on a console since my PC sucks

It better be KOTOR III. The first game was awesome. The story was incredible, the characters were great. I never played the 2nd since BioWare didn't make it. Mass Effect looked amazing and I'd love to see KOTOR get that treatment.

I'd like to see you play [blackout]as Revan again[/blackout]

It better be KOTOR III. The first game was awesome. The story was incredible, the characters were great. I never played the 2nd since BioWare didn't make it. Mass Effect looked amazing and I'd love to see KOTOR get that treatment.

I'd like to see you play [blackout]as Revan again[/blackout]

You didn't miss much in 2. the game play was better, but the plot lacked because of how rushed development was.

Ugh, good lord, I hope KotOR 3 isn't solely an MMORPG. I have absolutely no interest in playing an MMORPG.

I would prefer it to be both actually. A main single player story, then maybe go online and play in an MMORPG. It could be the chance Lucas Art needs to redeem themselves for the terrible Star Wars MMORPG they did a while back.

That'd work. I rarely play the multiplayer component of games anyway, so I could just ignore that bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"