The Force Awakens Star Wars VII Director?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no thanks to Joss Whedon. I was a fan of The Avengers but I don't want to see him instill his Whedon-isms into Star Wars too.

Since everybody has suggested D. Jones, Blomkamp, Trank, Abrams and Bird already, may I suggest Zwick, Howard and Boyle?

JJ Abrams would be very controversial to the fanboys. If he was ever in the running.

Terrence Malick

I want my Star Wars to be as visually beautiful, as devoid of story and as utterly pretentious as it could possibly be. :o

This could be the one project I see that mentioning James Cameron doesn't immediately get my eyes rolling. However, he's dead set on Avatar 2/3 and original projects.

Seconding Brad Bird, del Toro, Cuaron, Blomkamp, Duncan Jones...

Or... um, Drew Godard? Someone with the Whedonesque sensibility who's up-and-coming and can give a really fresh take on the franchise.

I don't know. With this, I want to dream and dream big, but I could see Disney looking at the Marvel model and getting some inspiration from that.

Given Kathleen Kennedy's connection to Spielberg and Lucas I don't see how he isn't the first one offered it. For the general public having Episode VII directed by Spielberg is easier to market than Cuaron or Drew Godard. It gives it more credibility. Sure certain fanboys will **** on the idea but you need someone who can deliver a $200 million film to the masses, along with a passionate fanbase, on time. Now he may turn it down and Kennedy is a veteran producer so she knows the right director for this film.

Then they can transition to other directors with Episodes VIII and IX.

Wouldn't bank on Episode 7 being ready for 2015.

Disney is setting themselves up nicely for the next 15-20 years. Owning essentially all the merchandise for the big movies of any year from ages 4-18.

1-2 Marvel films a year
1 Pixar film
1 Disney animated film
1 Star Wars film
1 big budget film based on a Disney property

Just like they didn't take a chance with The Avengers, huh? :o

That was under a previous regime and they ate a huge loss with John Carter by taking a chance.

It's not impossible. It's about the same amount of time from the announcement of Sony getting the film rights for Spider-Man to when the movie came out.

Yeah, no thanks to Joss Whedon. I was a fan of The Avengers but I don't want to see him instill his Whedon-isms into Star Wars too.

Since everybody has suggested D. Jones, Blomkamp, Trank, Abrams and Bird already, may I suggest Zwick, Howard and Boyle?

How about Brad Bird?

Can someone explain why brad bird is such a huuuge fan favorite on SHH? I mean i see his name pop up everywhere when there's a director casting thread.

The incredibles was a good movie but i wouldn't call it pixar's best. Ghost Protocol was fine but it didn't blow me away or anything.

Episode VII - Duncan Jones
Episode VIII - Alfonso Cuarón
Episode IX - Brad Bird

Perfect.

Episode VII - Duncan Jones
Episode VIII - Alfonso Cuarón
Episode IX - Brad Bird

Perfect.
what have Duncan and Alfonso done to warrant them to be included in Disney's short list of potential directors?

Zack Snyder, GDT and Brad Bird.

Zach Snyder for the visual component he has in all of his movies, and just think a lightsaber fight in slow motion? yes.

what have Duncan and Alfonso done to warrant them to be included in Disney's short list of potential directors?

They have made some great Sci-fi(Children of Men,Moon,Source Code)and Non Sci-Fi (Y Tu Mama Tambien)films.

And Cuaron seems to be making another great Sci-fi film with Gravity.George Lucas wasn't that experienced when he made the original Star Wars so they have just as much(Maybe more experience) than him when he made that movie.

I think at this point every director thats a fan will want his name in the hat

Moon and Children Of Men both have more story, style, and brilliance than most films in the last 20 years. These two directors proved more with these two little films than most directors do in careers. They would bring a mature artistry to this great property. It's what SW was built on and going back to that would be wonderful. SW needs that "pot" mentality again, many different and maybe contrasting aspects all mixed together with precision, care, and honesty would be magical.

I could see some directors clearing their schedule for this

Alonzo has done epic fantasy though with Harry Potter, so there is no reason to think he could not.

No he is working on Hobbit 3 re-shoots next year, there is no way he has time for it. The third is not coming out till 2014, so he would not be available.

No he is working on Hobbit 3 re-shoots next year, there is no way he has time for it. The third is not coming out till 2014, so he would not be available.

Maybe another film in the trilogy?

Whoever the new director will be, I hope he'll take a page out of the original trilogy and give us that "used universe" look again, which Lucas intentionally changed in the Prequels. That's why we got Padme's chrome spaceship instead. I want to see the universe as a dark, seedy place, and not a bright and colorful one like Star Trek's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"