Stargate SG-1/Atlantis/Universe - Part 1

i doubt it TBH.... though i suspect all they'll do is have the old 'Crisis over - Life goes on' kinda ending....

I hope they can end it believably in one episode.
Most likely it'll be a "several months/years later" thing where we see a conclusion to the major storylines and a farewell ending with however they think it should go off the air. Most likely it will be a happy ending with everyone successful and happy in their lives. I doubt it will be anything doom and gloom like.

Most likely it'll be a "several months/years later" thing where we see a conclusion to the major storylines and a farewell ending with however they think it should go off the air. Most likely it will be a happy ending with everyone successful and happy in their lives. I doubt it will be anything doom and gloom like.
Yes, and at the end, Commander Riker and Troi will walk off the holodeck...oh wait, wrong show:hehe:

I hope they don't Enterprise or St. Elsewhere the finale. I think that's the lowest form of flipping off the viewership you can do.

I had always been a fan of the STARGATE franchise, even though due to various reasons I had never gotten to watch a whole lot of them.

One of my New Year's resolutions for this year was to watch a bunch of the TV series I have stacked up on DVD. And I picked STARGATE to start me off. I had originally seen the first two seasons complete years ago. And only seen intermittant episodes after that. So I started watching them from the start (actually started with the movie, then went to the series)....and have just finished season seven. Loving all the seasons so far.

I'm making a post about it now, because of one of the events that transpired near the end of season seven. And since there are others like me who have not seen it yet, even though it is years old, I will put it in spoiler tags.

I was completely caught off guard by the death of Dr. Frazier. Many Tv characters have died on series. I was really surprised at how sad I felt at the death of this one. Frazier was always the friendly kind healer of the crew. She had been on board for seven years. This was the 150th episode (in order of airing, not production)...and it was the 75th appearance of Teryl Rothery as Dr. Frazier. That means she had appeared in half of the episodes shown up to this point. By this point, you didn't think of her as one of the expendable "red shirts"...she was one of the regulars that would show up to help the main people get well. I had tears in my eyes as the episode ended.

I didn't expect that at all.

At the time I don't think anybody did. **** was rough. I really needa go back and watch the entire run. I'm like you, just seen random episodes but most of the first couple seasons.

The first four years, it was on SHOWTIME...and I didn't get it. It wasn't until the first few seasons were syndicated in my area that I got to watch any of it. I saw most of the first two seasons...and then the local station that carried it, dropped it. Then the Sci Fi channel picked it up, and for various reasons (one being that I hadn't seen seasons 3 and 4) I didn't become a regular viewer. I was wanting to catch up with what had happened before...and I managed to watch only a few episodes in it's 6 year run on Sci Fi.

Some more spoiler tags for those who have not seen the series (and remember...I am only up to the end of season 7 at this posting)....
I remember tuning in on a Sci Fi channel episode, and Daniel was an "ascended being" who was not part of the team anymore...and felt completely lost. This made me slow to tune into more new episodes until I could see what had been done in the past. It's a personal thing, I like to watch stuff in their original order

I had always been a fan of the STARGATE franchise, even though due to various reasons I had never gotten to watch a whole lot of them.

One of my New Year's resolutions for this year was to watch a bunch of the TV series I have stacked up on DVD. And I picked STARGATE to start me off. I had originally seen the first two seasons complete years ago. And only seen intermittant episodes after that. So I started watching them from the start (actually started with the movie, then went to the series)....and have just finished season seven. Loving all the seasons so far.

I'm making a post about it now, because of one of the events that transpired near the end of season seven. And since there are others like me who have not seen it yet, even though it is years old, I will put it in spoiler tags.

I was completely caught off guard by the death of Dr. Frazier. Many Tv characters have died on series. I was really surprised at how sad I felt at the death of this one. Frazier was always the friendly kind healer of the crew. She had been on board for seven years. This was the 150th episode (in order of airing, not production)...and it was the 75th appearance of Teryl Rothery as Dr. Frazier. That means she had appeared in half of the episodes shown up to this point. By this point, you didn't think of her as one of the expendable "red shirts"...she was one of the regulars that would show up to help the main people get well. I had tears in my eyes as the episode ended.

I didn't expect that at all.

That was rough. Probably the hardest hitting punch of the franchise.

That was rough. Probably the hardest hitting punch of the franchise.

Absolutely is for me so far.

It was so totally unexpected to me. Yes, she was there on another world in the middle of a battle....but they had just set it up so well for the most cliched of things that everyone was expecting...and then POW...take that you cliche expecting fools.

It was so totally unexpected to me. Yes, she was there on another world in the middle of a battle....but they had just set it up so well for the most cliched of things that everyone was expecting...and then POW...take that you cliche expecting fools.

Yeah, I could't believe how well they led the audience on. When you rewatch the episode its hard to find holes or indicators of where it is actually going.

Here's something. Don Davis who played the General in SG1 was in Twin Peaks, playing Bobby Briggs' father... a major who was involved in a top secret mission.

Yeah it was extremely unexpected and out of nowhere! I sat there when the credits rolled the first time and was just so shocked I continued to sit there well after the show was over just thinking. I couldn't believe it happened.

Glad to see you're enjoying it though! Stargate SG1 and Atlantis remain my favorite sci-fi shows of all time to this day. They are largely under-appreciated in my eyes, all three series.

Glad to see you're enjoying it though! Stargate SG1 and Atlantis remain my favorite sci-fi shows of all time to this day. They are largely under-appreciated in my eyes, all three series.

Cool, maybe you followed it enough to answer a question.

Did you ever hear a real reason behind why actor Don Davis left in season eight?

Here's something. Don Davis who played the General in SG1 was in Twin Peaks, playing Bobby Briggs' father... a major who was involved in a top secret mission.

Yeah, I remember that when I first heard about STARGATE and who was in it, I thought it was funny that he was a Air Force officer working at some kind of secret base in the Northwest United States.

Did you ever hear a real reason behind why actor Don Davis left in season eight?

The show was supposed to end in season 8 but it got a continuation and quite a bit changed. Im assuming him leaving was a part of that. Its too bad he suffered a heart attack.:(

Health problems pretty much I believe. Here's a excerpt for a interview.

Don Davis said:
My health problems, which I haven't hidden those. One of the reasons I am so loyal to Stargate is they were so loyal to me. In 2002 I had, just at the start of the season, a major operation. I had an abdominal aortic aneurism, and they had to remove a large part of my aorta.

Most shows would've cut me off. Stargate stood by me. I never missed a single paycheck. They scheduled the episodes around me, and when they brought me back they made sure that there was nothing that I was asked to do that might put me in harm's way. But there comes a time where you really can't, if you're in my condition. I'm a heart patient. I'm a diabetic. I've got other minor problems, and it's really time to slow down. I joke, but I really am.

One of my doctors said I've got more scar tissue than anybody he's ever worked on. Because I've done stunts. I was in the military. I was an athlete when I was a young kid. And then I'm just stupid and clumsy. And now I've got arthritis along with other things. I take a lot of pills every day. So I'm very aware of my mortality. And especially after Season Seven ... And especially with the loss of one of the family.

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/intimate_portrait_part_2_o.shtml

now that you've reached season 8, you can alternate between sg1 and atlantis episodes.

The show was supposed to end in season 8 but it got a continuation and quite a bit changed. Im assuming him leaving was a part of that. Its too bad he suffered a heart attack.:(
I was listening to the commentary on the last 2 part episode from season eight. They were joking about how they had tried to end the series for three years but were brought back again and again. I haven't had a chance to listen to all of the commentaries (I want to get through all the seasons first) but I have listened to a few....they are generally pretty funny and informative.

Health problems pretty much I believe. Here's a excerpt for a interview.
http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/intimate_portrait_part_2_o.shtml
Thanks, that was interesting. I wish someone would had made a note of this on IMDB. I was glad to see that they did manage to get him back for a few episodes in the 8th season.

now that you've reached season 8, you can alternate between sg1 and atlantis episodes.
I was thinking about that after I started watching season nine....which starts off with [BLACKOUT]Daniel packing to go to Atlantis.[/BLACKOUT] If I knew the perfect correct order to alternate, I would do it. But for now I will just finish SG-1 then start ATLANTIS. Maybe in a few years when I rewatch them all again, I will have figured out the correct order.

I know that the show CRUSADE was shown (and apparently put on DVD) in incorrect order...and people have it written out what order to watch them in....maybe i will find where someone has done it for SG-1 and ATLANTIS.

From what I understand, TPTB were looking at tweaking the show into 'Stargate Command' which would have kept it based at the SGC, but taken the focus away from SG1 and given us more of a feel of the rest of the base...

Shame that it never went ahead...

Wow, I didn't know he had so many health issues. Heart problems, diabetes, arthritis, large amount of scar tissue--it's impressive he managed to keep working to the age he did.

Yeah I didn't know until he passed away. :(

Thanks, that was interesting. I wish someone would had made a note of this on IMDB. I was glad to see that they did manage to get him back for a few episodes in the 8th season.

I was thinking about that after I started watching season nine....which starts off with [BLACKOUT]Daniel packing to go to Atlantis.[/BLACKOUT] If I knew the perfect correct order to alternate, I would do it. But for now I will just finish SG-1 then start ATLANTIS. Maybe in a few years when I rewatch them all again, I will have figured out the correct order.

Hammond of Texas was always great! :D

On SG1 and SGA, when I watched them on Sci-Fi I didn't have to worry about switching between the two as that was provided for me, but since I own the DVDs I watch SG1 first then SGA I dont feel like switching discs over and over. It would be like switching between TNG and DS9 on Star Trek I suppose.

From what I understand, TPTB were looking at tweaking the show into 'Stargate Command' which would have kept it based at the SGC, but taken the focus away from SG1 and given us more of a feel of the rest of the base...

Yeah I always thought the Stargate Command idea was great after season 8 ended. Stupid Sci-Fi. I love Season 9 and 10, but it really was in many ways a totally different feel compared to the past.

Yeah it not happening left the show in a weird spot. It was pretty much a new show but still trying to be sg1. I still liked seasons 9&10 tho. Too bad we didnt get more of the Ori.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"