State your unpopular Batman related opinion

Yeah the crime/detective, more grounded take on Batman is my bag. I lose interest quick when too much horror, comedy or sci-fi is thrown in. That goes for live-action, animation or the comics. A younger Robin doesn't exactly fit into that style very well.

I honestly don't care about the traditional Robin when it's all said and done. I prefer Batman to work alone or with Gordon. Never liked Robin when i was a kid, always thought he was annoying and for fans who enjoyed the lighter side of cartoons/comics...which was never my thing.

Admittedly, I was thinking pretty specifically of The New Batman Adventures episode "Old Wounds" with that, which explores a falling out that happened between Bruce and Dick.

Ironically, the main reason Dick was so furious at Bruce was for hiding Batgirl's identity as well as endangering Barbara.

In fact, now that I think of it, I sympathized with Dick so much in that episode that it's probably a big reason why I formed the opinion I now have.

Last edited:
1. I hate with an absolute passion when Batman has blue in his costume.

2. I think the darker the story the better Batman is. Sure, Batman works in the JL but he is at his best in stories like Black Mirror. I read that story for the first time this week and it blew me away.

3. I think Justice League is better than Batman the Animated Series.

4. The Dark Knight Returns is better than the Watchmen. I thought it then and after reading both recently I think that now.

5. I think the garish colours on The Killing Joke work better than muted colours Brian Bolland recently used to recolour the issue.

6. Black Mirror is the 4th best Batman graphic I have ever read. I think it is better than The Long Halloween and a host of other Batman graphic novels but it doesn't make my top 3 (TDKR, Year 1, The Killing Joke).

7. I absolutely love the new dark and pyschological take on Batman's villains. I have loved reading Clayface, Riddler, Joker, Hatter. I get and understand why many think it is too dark and prefer the older more colourful and 'friendly' versions but I absolutely love it and hope we see big screen versions.

8. I really don't like Morrison's run on Batman. I bought R.I.P. and thought it was a chore to get through. Morrison run on Superman was incredible, though.

9. Scott Snyder may be my favorite ever regular Batman writer.
Black mirror. House of Owls. City of Owls. Death in the family. I have loved ever minute of it. I hope Marvel head hunt him and he is given Spider-Man because currently Spider-Man is in the toilet.

10. I like Damien Wayne. I hated him at first but then I grew to like him and now that he is gone I miss him.

11. I like Batman '89. Hate BR. Hate BF. Hate B&R. Like BB. 'LOVE' TDK. Like TDKR.

12. My only take away from pre Nolan Batman are; 'I'm Batman', 'Let's get nuts' and the Doctor finding out about Batman secret identity in BF. Other than that, completely forgetable to me. I don't own any pre Nolan Batman on Blu ray.

13. Nolan's action is terrible (not sure this is an unpopular opinion) but the fighting is laughably bad. Also the characters are cold but to be honest the characters are cold in pretty much all of Nolan's movies.

14. The last 20 minutes of TDK imho could have been cut.

15. We still haven't seen the definative Batman on screen. By that I mean a movie that absolutely nails every aspect of Batman from the comics. Nolan's is the best we seen, though.

16. Tim Drake is my favorite ever Robin, yes, including Dick Grayson. He is like a mini Batman and love that.

17. Really controversial but I think Barbara was better in the chair. She made a better Oracle than Batgirl.

18. My favorite ever Batgirl is Cassandra Kain.

19. I prefer Batman and Superman at odds with each other rather than friends.

20. I prefer Batman in battle armour than gray and black tights.

21. I prefer Batman in a armoured car than a sleek car.

22. I like that Batman can do everything. It's unrealistic but no more unrealistic than flying or picking up cars.

1. The Black Bat symbol is highly overrated. Most people only like it because of Frank Miller. And the way most people choose to associate the Yellow Oval with "camp" is ridiculous considering it was featuring in some of the more serious Batman stories.

2. Speaking of overrated: Tim Drake as Robin. Don't get me wrong, I liked him in the 90's and early 00's, but then he became a mary sue. He benefits from being Robin during the modern era of comics, where storytelling became more complex and supporting characters got their own titles. On a conceptual level, Dick Grayson is still the best Robin, which is why he constantly gets adapted into movies/TV more than anyone else.

3. Speaking of overrated again: Scott Snyder Batman. His run can be enjoyable, especially Black Mirror and the 1st half of the Owls storyline, but fanboys treat him like the next coming of Frank Miller, when he hasn't done anything nearly as special or innovative.

4. I think Catwoman as Batman's "One True Love" is a generally bad idea. I've been characterized as "hating" the Bat/Cat romance, and I don't think that's true at all. Its just that the idea of them being absolute soulmates is off putting to me. Bruce/Selina works best on sexual tension and "what could've been", and both characters suffer when you try to put them in a normal romance. I think a lot shippers think that every character needs to have "The one", but the great thing about Batman is that he dosen't really have one.

5. I think TDKR is the weakest film in the Nolan Bat Trilogy, but Batman purists overhate the film way too much for the dumbest of reasons, reasons that make me wonder if they actually watched the film.

6. Never really gave a damn about Babs as Oracle, especially since she was a convenient plot device for Batman to gain info from, negating his "World's Greatest Detective" side. I don't blame DC for reverting her back to Batgirl, as that's what she's known for in the first place.

7. Alfred raising Bruce as a kid has become stale to me. I'd love to see a modern version of the Pre Crisis Batman/Alfred relationship, where Bruce is well into being Batman and this british guy shows up to be his butler.

8. Adam West is probably the most comic book accurate live action Batman. And he's definitely the only live action Batman that actually seemed like he had genius-level intellect.

9. Bat-God is king. When you're the superhero who unseated SUPERMAN as top dog, you deserve a power upgrade. I hate when Bat Fanboys talk about Bat God, but the concept itself is fine.

Last edited:
@spider-neil A lot of those aren't really that unpopular.

2. Speaking of overrated: Tim Drake as Robin. Don't get me wrong, I liked him in the 90's and early 00's, but then he became a mary sue. He benefits from being Robin during the modern era of comics, where storytelling became more complex and supporting characters got their own titles. On a conceptual level, Dick Grayson is still the best Robin, which is why he constantly gets adapted into movies/TV more than anyone else.

My love of Tim Drake actually comes from reading the Teen Titans, also his graphic novel. Love that he was a detective first and a fighter second. Dick and Jason seemed to jump head long into battle without a plan. Tim is a mini Batman. I was sad when he become Red Robin.

3. Speaking of overrated again: Scott Snyder Batman. His run can be enjoyable, especially Black Mirror and the 1st half of the Owls storyline, but fanboys treat him like the next coming of Frank Miller, when he hasn't done anything nearly as special or innovative.

Snder keeps surprising me and that is why I like him so much. Mirror and Court of Owls is some of the best regular comics I have read in years.
If he is overrated then please point me to more overrated writers so I can sample them.

5. I think TDKR is the weakest film in the Nolan Bat Trilogy, but Batman purists overhate the film way too much for the dumbest of reasons, reasons that make me wonder if they actually watched the film.

Nolan went out of his way to ground Batman and in the third movie his explanation was 'Because I'm Batman!'. Fine, but set your Batman to be that from the first movie.

6. Never really gave a damn about Babs as Oracle, especially since she was a convenient plot device for Batman to gain info from, negating his "World's Greatest Detective" side. I don't blame DC for reverting her back to Batgirl, as that's what she's known for in the first place.

Babs pretty much gave Batman info rather than clues. He still had to be a detective.

8. Adam West is probably the most comic book accurate live action Batman. And he's definitely the only live action Batman that actually seemed like a genius.

Can't say I like the show (as an adult) but I was hooked as a kid.

Last edited:
Yeah most of them are popular opinions. Actually, reading your list over, id say half are unpopular.

My love of Tim Drake actually comes from reading the Teen Titans, also his graphic novel. Love that he was a detective first and a fighter second. Dick and Jason seemed to jump head long into battle without a plan. Tim is a mini Batman. I was sad when he become Red Robin.

One of my problems with Tim is that he became a mini Batman. Robin should be complementary to Batman, not a near carbon copy. Thats why the best Batman/Robin duos are Bruce/Dick and Dick/Damian.

Snder keeps surprising me and that is why I like him so much. Mirror and Court of Owls is some of the best regular comics I have read in years.
If he is overrated then please point me to more overrated writers so I can sample them.

Snyder dosen't really surprise me at all. There are better origin stories than Year Zero, fresher Joker stories than "Death of the Family", and Court of Owls was yet another "shadowy conspriacy against Batman/Gotham" story. Black Mirror was surprising, though.

Nolan went out of his way to ground Batman and in the third movie his explanation was 'Because I'm Batman!'. Fine, but set your Batman to be that from the first movie.

In what way did he present Batman that contradicted what he did in the first two movies. Omitting how he got back into Gotham dosen't contradict what he set up in BB and TDK.

Babs pretty much gave Batman info rather than clues. He still had to be a detective.

Didn't come off that way to me.

Can't say I like the show (as an adult) but I was hooked as a kid.

The show is even better as an adult (well, the first two seasons), especially when you take off the "Batman MUST ALWAYS BE DARK" blinders.

I haven't read Black Mirror, so I'll check that out. But I did love Owls. Death of the Family had some cool ideas to it. Overall I enjoyed it, but it wasn't amazing. Zero Year felt very inconsistent. I liked how they incorporated Red Hood, but other than that, it was pretty mediocre to me. Capullo killed it in all of the New 52, though.

One of my problems with Tim is that he became a mini Batman. Robin should be complementary to Batman, not a near carbon copy. Thats why the best Batman/Robin duos are Bruce/Dick and Dick/Damian.

I can understand that opinion but I just loved that he was stealty and used his brains. There is a great scene where Superboy explicitly tells him not to go digging into his past and in the very next scene Tim picks up one of Superboy's hair to examine. Love that about the character but, like I said, I can understand why you wouldn't.

Snyder dosen't really surprise me at all. There are better origin stories than Year Zero, fresher Joker stories than "Death of the Family", and Court of Owls was yet another "shadowy conspriacy against Batman/Gotham" story. Black Mirror was surprising, though.

I conceed I wasn't a fan of Year 1.

In what way did he present Batman that contradicted what he did in the first two movies. Omitting how he got back into Gotham dosen't contradict what he set up in BB and TDK.

Getting back into the city, leaving a trail of oil for Gordon to light, etc. Batman become the all singing all dancing Batman from the comics and to me that was a departure from Begins and DK.

Didn't come off that way to me.

Fair enough but I always saw her as a source of information rather than 'solve all'.

The show is even better as an adult (well, the first two seasons), especially when you take off the "Batman MUST ALWAYS BE DARK" blinders.

Love the jokes that flew over your head as a kid, just like the jokes in Bond movies.

I've only read the first portion of Black Mirror. I acknowledge that my opinion will most likely change, but so far I'm not seeing anything worthy of the praise it has received.

I can enjoy most versions of Batman in any media. Even Batman and Robin 1997 movie. I really enjoy seeing what they leave in or take out or add to each version. There are some things l dont like but they dont annoy me like they do with other fans

Batman being a jerk to all superheroes makes little sense to me. Mainly because most explanations make him so petty: Superheroes have powers but he doesn't. Their parents weren't murdered in front of them. These "heroes" are careless and irresponsible. Superman is a "boy scout." (And Batman isn't?)

I also think Two-Face should be more "the Punisher with a coin fetish" than a straight up super-villain.

1. The Black Bat symbol is highly overrated. Most people only like it because of Frank Miller. And the way most people choose to associate the Yellow Oval with "camp" is ridiculous considering it was featuring in some of the more serious Batman stories.

7. Alfred raising Bruce as a kid has become stale to me. I'd love to see a modern version of the Pre Crisis Batman/Alfred relationship, where Bruce is well into being Batman and this british guy shows up to be his butler.

1. I agree, I prefer the yellow oval. It looks a bit boring with just the black bat...

7. :highfive:

So there are already three guys on this board who want the old Alfred back? Cool.

The yellow oval is fine because it's now classic imagery. But i prefer the black symbol if you're trying to make me believe that Batman exists in a relatable world and not some Gotham city that looks like it could exist within a different planet, or when they don't show outside of the city. When they make it clear that it's planet earth, then no matter what the genre, i like something more when it's more believable. That's just how i am. So Batman wouldn't wear a suit with yellow on it if he's in the shadows, trying not to be seen. Even the arguments of grey and black working better in the dark doesn't make sense to me no matter how you explain it. Grey/Black is my favorite batsuit combo by the way, but if im a robber going out at night, im gonna wear all black clothes and a black face mask no? Im not gonna wear some yellow, some blue, or a greyish/black combination. So a black symbol or an all black Bat-suit seems the most logical. Boring or not.

1. Long Halloween is not the greatest Batman story people make it out to be.

2. I prefer Batman Year Two over Year One.

3. The Deadshot segment in the Gotham Knights DTV is the single best animated version of Batman to date, yes even better than Batman TAS.

4. Batman should have a slim athletic frame and not of a musclebound meathead.

5. I hate the way Jim Lee draws Batman's regular ears visible through the cowl.

6. I like The Dark Knight Rises more than The Dark Knight.

7. Batman comics were in the doldrums from the mid-90's only to pick up with Jim Lee's Hush but then again sunk back into the ca-ca that is Nu52.

8. The Batman from the 70's and 80's is the quintessential Batman.

9. Never cared for any of the Robin's but I'm fine with Dick Grayson.

Year Two is certainly very underrated.

And I thought I was alone in liking The Dark Knight Rises most out of the trilogy...

I think Hush is a pretty boring story. I love the artwork, but other than that, I find it to be pretty weak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"