State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I the only one that liked Batman Begins and not a fan of the sequels?

Am I the only one that liked Batman Begins and not a fan of the sequels?

I didn't like Rises. I enjoyed Begins and TDK though. A good friend of mine isn't a fan of TDK or Rises, so you can't be the only one! :yay:

Batman Begins is certainly the most traditional as a superhero movie. The Dark Knight was heavier on plot, less superhero and more 'crime' oriented film. It was something new for the genre.
I didn't like Dark Knight Rises either. It tried too hard to be better than Dark Knight but it just couldn't.
So, yeah, you might not be the only one, but it's understandable.

Batman Begins is certainly the most traditional as a superhero movie. The Dark Knight was heavier on plot, less superhero and more 'crime' oriented film. It was something new for the genre.
I didn't like Dark Knight Rises either. It tried too hard to be better than Dark Knight but it just couldn't.
So, yeah, you might not be the only one, but it's understandable.

Yeah and dont get me wrong im not knocking the sequels they were well done.

I found BB to be more entertaining and to the point. One point I would like to make from BB to DK that i have not really heard anyone bring up was environment..

I remember when DK opened with the IMAX scene,, everybody in the theater was blown away.. I remembered thinking wow thats cool...umm what happened to Gotham?

I really liked the environment of BB, why the overhaul? It was like nobody really noticed or cared... It just felt like a complete switch + too many characters etc..

Last edited:
Yeah and dont get me wrong im not knocking the sequels they were well done.

I found BB to be more entertaining and to the point. One point I would like to make from BB to DK that i have not really heard anyone bring up was environment..

I remember when DK opened with the IMAX scene,, everybody in the theater was blown away.. I remembered thinking wow thats cool...umm what happened to Gotham?

I really liked the environment of BB, why the overhaul? It was like nobody really noticed or cared... It just felt like a complete switch + too many characters etc..

Although I really like all three of Nolan's Batman films, I do agree about the environment in BB. I also missed it quite a bit while watching TDK. I got used to it in TDKR simply because of the prior film but despite Nolan trying to bring the last film full circle to Begins, BB still feels like the odd man out. It's because of that, that I don't think this is a truly great trilogy like the original Star Wars or Lord of the Rings. I do think that he broke that silly comic book trilogy curse, but if they kept the environment of BB throughout, it would have felt like a tighter trilogy overall.

-Spider-Man is better than SM2 (but TASM is better than both)
-Sean Connery is my least favorite James Bond (not including Lazenby as I haven't seen his full film yet)
If you put elfmans score in Batman Forever and editted the hell out of it, you could make a decent movie
Chris Nolan is overrated
Thats about it.
Co-sign.
the dark knight rises and Batman returns are my favorite bat films. I feel they captured the core aspects of the character the best out of the whole series imo.
Entirely agreed. :up:

Not subject to opinion. The Joker has 33 minutes of screen time in The Dark Knight. The Penguin is essentially the lead in Batman Returns.

Ditto with the Joker in Batman 1989.

And a poster here has actually broke down the time of each character in each Batman movie, and B89 Joker, Penguin, and TDK Joker are all in the same percentage of screentime for their movies, so anyone saying a villain got more screentime than Batman in their Bat-movies is just being biased.

33 minutes in a 85-minute movie is different than 33 minutes in a 145-minute movie.

Notice I said same percentage for their movies, not same exact minutes.

Ah ok!. I haven't read the original post that you mentioned, just thought it was worth to clarify that.

And a poster here has actually broke down the time of each character in each Batman movie, and B89 Joker, Penguin, and TDK Joker are all in the same percentage of screentime for their movies, so anyone saying a villain got more screentime than Batman in their Bat-movies is just being biased.

Their timer must be on the blink because I just timed Joker's screen time myself in Batman 1989, and it comes to a grand total of 56 minutes and 32 seconds, and that's including Jack Napier's screen time. Now if you think that's the same percentage as TDK's Joker's 33 minutes in a 2 and a half hour movie, compared to 56 minutes out of a 2 hour movie, then your math skills need some tuning ;) I'll have to tackle Penguin's next and see if his is the same as you claim.

Btw I'd love to see the link to where these screen times you mentioned were timed.

Last edited:
Hmmmm, I heard that B89's Joker was around 30-35 min mark, but that doesn't include the Jack Napier bits...

the dark knight rises and Batman returns are my favorite bat films. I feel they captured the core aspects of the character the best out of the whole series imo.

I don't believe Batman Returns was any where close to capturing the core aspects of Batman, unless you're talking about Miller's Batman.

Hmmmm, I heard that B89's Joker was around 30-35 min mark, but that doesn't include the Jack Napier bits...

The Jack Napier scenes were only 8 minutes long altogether believe it or not.

Surprising.

I don't believe Batman Returns was any where close to capturing the core aspects of Batman, unless you're talking about Miller's Batman.
I think all of the movies have shared their own version of "Batman's core aspects", and at the same time, have also missed different parts of "his core", as well. Nobody has gotten it 100% correct, and neither has gotten the character "closer", either. They both have some glaring flaws.

Nolan shares more traits to Miller's Elseworld Batman than Burton.

That's true, and I'd rather have a movie take on certain aspects that make Batman Batman and nail them than try to take on all of them and do a pretty good job.

I think all of the movies have shared their own version of "Batman's core aspects", and at the same time, have also missed different parts of "his core", as well. Nobody has gotten it 100% correct, and neither has gotten the character "closer", either. They both have some glaring flaws.

Nolan shares more traits to Miller's Elseworld Batman than Burton.

I don't think so. I think Burton's Batman has more in common with more openly psychotic tendencies, paranoia, reckless, and no concern for whether criminals live or die.

Geeze what about Batman in suit onscreen time for DK and DKR,,, I almost started to think he didnt exist in DKR.

That was really my view with DK and DKR it really focused too much on other characters + too many other characters period. Seems that Batman got lost in the mix IMO.

Last edited:
Geeze what about Batman in suit onscreen time for DK and DKR,,, I almost started to think he didnt exist in DKR.

His on suit screen time in TDK is solid. TDKR's was far too little.

I didn't even notice the lack of in-suit screentime in TDKR. Although, obviously, it makes total sense that he is in the suit less in TDKR than any other movie.

I didn't even notice the lack of in-suit screentime in TDKR. Although, obviously, it makes total sense that he is in the suit less in TDKR than any other movie.

hmm not sure I agree with that for TDKR.. maybe I saw this the wrong way.. my understanding was crime was low,, so he was almost depressed and let himself go. I just felt he was not in any hurry to go get the bad guys when the opportunity came.

I didnt really understand the Bane/Miranda story nor why they would have any allegiance to league of shadows after what happened. So many things felt off

Just for me, i really could not get into it at all. Anyways I will keep my view to myself,, I know allot of people loved it. Im not knocking, just things I noticed I guess.

Last edited:
I'm...not really sure what you're trying to say, but my impression upon viewing the movie the first time was this...

You can definitely tell the focus of the movie shifts to Gordon and Blake in the second act, but at the same time, it still very much feels like Batman's movie (and story) due to all of the scenes with him in the prison.

So I think the fact that the narrative was still very much Batman/Bruce Wayne-centric, it never felt to me like there was ever a lack of Batman. The whole movie is about Batman.

Even the inclusion of Gordon and Blake was nearly entirely there to show the importance and effect that Batman has on the city.

I felt the movie played up Batman as a myth moreso than the other two.

I picked up The Avengers. I like the science-fantasy feel of it; Thanos' advisor looks like he'd be right at home in Mordor. The character moments/intros were welldone. Yet I just didn't care for the movie much. I can't really explain why. Just not my cup of tea, I guess. I'm more excited for Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"