State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wasn't impressed with Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman.

Neither was I.

I do think he was at his best in TDKR, but by comparison I think Keaton did a much, much better job, with much less to work with dialogue/character arc wise.

I wasn't impressed with Christian Bale as Bruce Wayne/Batman.
I thought he was a better Bruce Wayne than Keaton, but that Keaton was a better Batman.
Bale was still a good Batman though, especially in all his scenes with The Joker in TDK.
I thought him and Ledger had a good "chemistry", for lack of a better word. And I don't really have a problem with the bat voice.

I never had a problem with Bale's bat voice until someone made a funny youtube parody. Bane's voice is comical at times. I still like what they did with the character but some of his speeches were too amusing.

I thought he was a better Bruce Wayne than Keaton.
I disagree. While, perhaps, Bale's Bruce was written a bit more accurately than Keaton's, Keaton's performances as Bruce were much more nuanced, detailed, and heartfelt than Bale's.

Often, Bale's Bruce came off as rather adolescent and immature - pretty consistently confused, frustrated, and seeking help and direction from his various mentors throughout the film.

Whereas Keaton's Bruce was pretty much a through and through psychotic; both his emotions and thought processes were both extremely obstructed, stifled and often downright twisted compared to that of an emotionally healthy person.

Yet, despite that characterization, somehow Keaton was still able to imbibe the character with a childlike innocence and likable nature that was, entirely, delivered through Keaton's own performance, rather than any dedicated lines or scenes - which is pretty incredible.

To each its own of course, but I see your point. It's also true that Bale benefited from better writing than Keaton did.
Keaton's take on the character (especially his Batman) is probably my favorite part of the Burton films, which I don't like very much otherwise (while acknowledging that they opened the door and paved the way etc...), so I won't criticize his Bruce Wayne which I agree was great.
I just thought that Bale, while nailing the shallow playboy schtick, was also charming and kinda believable. I liked his Bond/Q relationship with Fox, as well as his interactions with Alfred and Gordon.

I have two:

First: I absolutely hated Mark Ruffalo as Banner in The Avengers. He always seemed like he was trying way to hard at times. Any time he was on screen with others his poor acting just stood out to me idk why. I dont understand why so many praise him as the new hulk idk. But again just my opinion.

Second: I'm actually kind of a fan of the Dare Devil movie. In fact in my opinions its one of Ben Afflicks ealier times he shined in a movie. Its kind of Like Batman Forever, its not a great movie at all, but its not a horrible movie either. I do own it on DVD and watch it sometimes.

Yep. It was really good too. Very different, though. The mariachi is less:

2080.jpg

More:

clipbo72.jpg

So apparently he hit the gym in between movies.
I'll need to hunt this down

I have two:

First: I absolutely hated Mark Ruffalo as Banner in The Avengers. He always seemed like he was trying way to hard at times. Any time he was on screen with others his poor acting just stood out to me idk why. I dont understand why so many praise him as the new hulk idk. But again just my opinion.
Dunno how you got he tried way too hard

Second: I'm actually kind of a fan of the DareDevil movie. In fact in my opinions its one of Ben Afflicks ealier times he shined in a movie. Its kind of Like Batman Forever, its not a great movie at all, but its not a horrible movie either. I do own it on DVD and watch it sometimes.
By DVD you own the director cut or theatrical version? I love the Director's Cut

Dunno how you got he tried way too hard
Yeah. If anything he underplayed as Banner. Always holding back knowing how much destruction his other side could cause.

i hate wall-e. it's a terrible movie.

I remember seeing that movie in the theater. It was all good till we got the fat people ruining earth part. Suddenly the laughing died and most of the (fat) people were stock still for the rest of the movie. For me it just got funnier.

Very astute that movie.:woot:

I remember seeing that movie in the theater. It was all good till we got the fat people ruining earth part. Suddenly the laughing died and most of the (fat) people were stock still for the rest of the movie. For me it just got funnier.

Very astute that movie.:woot:

I've always questioned the bizarre explanation as to why the fat people look animated compared to their skinny counterparts.

I love the star wars prequels. I know they are flawed, and have a lot of issues, but i love them anyway, and enjoy the hell out of them. Always have.

Yeah. If anything he underplayed as Banner. Always holding back knowing how much destruction his other side could cause.

Put it however you want guys.

But my opinion was he was still horrible in that roll. He did not make me feel he was holding back rage at all. He was shadowed by the other talents IMO. Just didnt fit. Now the Hulk was awesome in the film, but Banner/Ruffalo left alot to be desired.

But hey, this is just my opinion. Thats what this thread is for :woot:

I so think Ruffalo played the role with a certain nervousness which at times seemed off.

But ultimately, he had a sense of human and maturity that played well, I think.

I liked him in Zodiac and a few other things, but the first time I was really impressed by Ruffalo was in "Shutter Island". Not that I loved the film but him (and Ben Kingsley as well) gave great, subtle and underrated performances in it.
I also think he is the best Banner/Hulk by far, but that's not really unpopular I know. Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing more of him in the role.

Wrong Section: Sorry

Last edited:
I love the star wars prequels. I know they are flawed, and have a lot of issues, but i love them anyway, and enjoy the hell out of them. Always have.

i don't think there's anything unpopular about this. i enjoy crap stuff all the time, and you even accepted that they are flawed, which they most definitely are.

i enjoy the smell of toe jam, but i'll also be the first to say it doesn't smell "good".

The Godfather Part III is a good movie and a nice conclusion to the series

I'm re-watching The Forbidden Kingdom, and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure how unpopular that is, though I do think I remember some negativity towards this movie around the time it came out.

I'm re-watching The Forbidden Kingdom, and I'm really enjoying it. Not sure how unpopular that is, though I do think I remember some negativity towards this movie around the time it came out.

I don't think it got rave reviews and I do remember some people dogging on it. Personally, I love it.

yeah, I just went from enjoying it to loving it too. Jet Li as the monkey king is awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"