State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 10

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

I prefer Skyfall. It feels more like a Bond while raising the personal stakes even higher and we did dig deeper into the psyche of Bond more than ever before.

2. gwynplaine

gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

I love Rocky, which is a masterpiece, butI also kinda like every other Rocky films. They all have some good scenes in them.

Good point. I love them both and still don't know which one I prefer. I gotta go see Skyfall again.

3. Wesley Dodds

Wesley Dodds He Who Lurks...

Halloween 3 is most definitely not some under-rated horror classic in desperate need of reappraisal.

I finally got around to watching it the other night and I thought it was absolute ****.

4. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

But did they really dig deeper into his psyche in a organic and quality way? Or did they merely attempt to shoehorn Craig into Connery's world all the while winking at the audience more than someone with a severe facial tick?

5. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

Yes, honestly. I recently watched all six movies marathon style, and I feel like having another movie takes a lot of weight off of Rocky V. It no longer feels like this dark, depressing, unsatisfying coda to an otherwise happy and inspirational series. Getting to see where Rocky ends up in life even enriches the fifth one to a certain extent. I'm not saying it's a great movie, or even a good one, Rocky V has significant problems that go beyond the obvious stuff that I mentioned, but now that it's just another chapter in Rocky's life rather than the final chapter, I can appreciate it a lot more now.

6. Wesley Dodds

Wesley Dodds He Who Lurks...

I'm incredibly relieved Aronofsky left the new Wolverine film.
    He's too much of an iconoclast.

No doubt it would have been a good movie, but the stylistic shift between it and literally every other time we've ever seen Logan would've been too jarring.

It'd be like hiring Cronenberg to do Iron Man 4 or something...

7. Blitzkrieg Bop

Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

Michael Fassbender should never be Batman or James Bond.

8. Brother Jack

Brother Jack Believer

One of my dream projects is a Cronenberg Punisher film

Agreed.

9. Mrs. Sawyer

Yes. Look I don't have a laptop right now and you know how annoying it is to type on an iPad so I'll post this with as few errors as possible haha. It was organic. Like Goldeneye did for the post Cold war world, Skyfall is about Bond's place in the post 9/11 world while digging deep not only into the Bond history through the appropriation of past movies, but also giving us a more personal look into Bond's personal past, more so than any other Bond movie before. He was a broken man, and like other characters in movies before, sometimes it takes revisiting and facing your past in order fully realize why you had become the man you are. I'd be lying if I said the movie wasn't a trip down memory lane, but I'm glad that for the 50th anniversary of the movies that release a movie featuring Bond's past in a more extensive way.

With Skyfall, most of the movie deals with the notion that the past is dead. For most of the movie, they subvert many the elements of past movies, whether it was the exploding pen joke, M's joke about the passenger car seat, the usual main Bond girl dying midway, etc. The WWII tunnels that were supposed to protect them backfires. At the point in which Bond kills Silva with a knife is when we realize that the past may not be fully dead. At this point, we are introduced to Moneypenny and a new male M in an office reminiscent of Connery movies. It all ties in with the personal history of Bond's past very well. The past is the past, but it will never be truly dead, whether it's Bond's past, England, and of course, Bond the character. Skyfall is truly the apotheosis of Bond movies.

Wow, typing on the iPad wasn't that bad at all.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2012
  10. Mrs. Sawyer

I'm still not a fan of the movie, but very well said, Soapy. :up:

11. Jordacar

Jordacar The Endless One

And Jon Hamm should never play a superhero.
    Except maybe Ben Grimm. Now that one I could get behind. :twisted:

12. Mrs. Sawyer

A lot of HP fans hate it, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix is one of my favorite HP movies. I guess it's because I never read the book.

13. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

It's my fave book of the series, and while I agree the movie doesn't match the book all the way, I don't understand the distaste for it from the fans.

14. CConn

CConn Fountainhead of culture.

But see, to me, you're merely explaining the reasoning behind the concept, not the quality of the execution.

I totally agree it was the right approach, I thoroughly disagree that it was excited properly at all.

15. Jordacar

Jordacar The Endless One

I actually prefer it to the book and feel it's one of the better adaptations of the series because of how much fat it cuts from the narrative. Maybe that's why it gets so much hate from purists. Even Rowling admitted the book was too damn long.

16. Mrs. Sawyer

I really enjoyed OOTP and was a great beginning of a truly darker HP series. I enjoy all of the movies and I don't find any of them to be bad. I like how the series slowly got darker with the first half of the HP movies and then starting with OOTP (more specifically Cedric Diggory's death in GOF) that the time of innocence and peace was truly over. Fear was started to set over Harry at every moment after.

I feel like OOTP did an excellent job at of ushering the new status quo for Harry Potter that would be there until the end of the series.

To me, I think the only thing that could have been stronger is if Bond was a bit doubtful if he should continue, but then we'd have people going from "it was influenced by TDK" to "it ripped off TDK"

17. A Necessary Evil

A Necessary Evil One. Bad. Day.

I like it alot, and agree that one of the things that make it better than the book is trimming the fat. Also while it's one of my least favorite of the HP series, I find it a hell of a lot better than the much overrated POA

:up:

18. Mrs. Sawyer

And about the execution of Skyfall, I believe the execution was great. We got the message clearly and the message reached out to Old Bond fans with apropriated references to the past while also reaching out to filmgoers that had never seen a Bond movie.

19. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

I wouldn't say HP fans hate it. The film itself is fine, it's just that it's the most poorly adapted from the book out of all of the films. Goblet of Fire and Half-Blood Prince excised some important stuff too, but not nearly as much as OOTP.

20. bullets

bullets bang bang

I wasn't that much into Harry Potter until I saw OOTP. I never read the books , but got dragged to that film and it surprised me.

21. DarkKnight

DarkKnight Well-Known Member

Well since its a opinion thread and we are on the subject of HP.

I didnt like any of them. :wow: I honestly tried, tried more than once, but I just couldnt like them.

I guess its just not my cup of tea I suppose. Which is suprising as I enjoyed LOTR. Oh well.

22. def28

def28 Well-Known Member

ASM is the most boring of the Spidey films. Not saying its the worst in terms of an overall film but def cant get though this one without falling asleep and find the others much more entertaining including 3.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  23. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Raul Boston's Dish Gaunt

I never liked Who Framed Roger Rabbit, I don't even like the title character

As for Harry Potter movies I'm glad they don't follow the book stories so close, that would make them too long

24. bullets

bullets bang bang

The Mummy : Tomb of the Dragon Emperor is a good sequel.

25. Soapy

Soapy Well-Known Member

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me is pretty good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.