State your unpopular film related opinion - - Part 11

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't like JJ as a director. The constantly moving camera and lens flares are distracting to say the least. I'm sorely dissapointed he got picked for SW.

I didn't like Tropic Thunder and The Hangover.

I don't much care for the Coen Brothers films.

I cannot stand Watchmen. I've tried and tried, but cant do it. I find it boring and would rather watch grass grow.

no offence to those that do love the movie, but clearly not my cup of tea.

I'm actually with you on Watchmen but for me it's because they kept too much of the straight comic book dialog and just had the actors say those lines even though they weren't written to be spoken by someone in live action. There's a difference, you know. And when you just have them read that stuff it comes off completely unnatural.

It needed to be filtered to take into account the difference when you have real people speaking these lines. The way they did it pretty much wrecked the movie for me. They should have been less faithful to the actual lines from the comic and been more about conveying the same information but in a way that felt real for the actors to portray.

There's definitely different extremes. I try to stay away from both and look at a movie I ask 2 questions which judges how much I like it: Was I entertained and why?

While I find that movies can have a lot of subtext, I'd rather be entertained first. The first goal that a movie should aim to be is entertaining. I think everything else, it being good is implied. If I'm paying to go see a movie, I am expecting it to be good or at least entertain me.

That is not to say that I do dislike more slower, symbol-ladden movies. I think those, when done right is a great source entertainment themselves. But I have to be in a certain mood to watch deeply dramatic movies like Amour.

That's fine by me, for me I don't think I can expect beforehand for any number of film to entertain me the same way, I must be a weird person since I find Amour entertaining, it's not entertaining like a comedy but it's engaging and for me that's the same as being entertaining, I phrase this weird but I hope you understand what I mean. :funny: In any case I think it's less about subtitles and more about the subject the film tackle, because I'll be damned if there's anyone who state that subtitles does stands in the way of enjoying the film, even those that are this light-hearted films.

With all these awards talk going on, I have to say I'm glad Affleck got snubbed of a directing nom at the Oscars, Argo is one film I can't bring myself to like as much as others, I really don't like these forced tension scenes, especially on the oh so silly climax, now I'm not saying a 100% accurate would've been better film but at least we'd have been spared from all the cliches and caricatures. I hate to be critical since I still think he's a competent director and Gone Baby Gone is one heck of a top-notch film that I hope he can match one of these days.

I don't like the Marvel cinematic universe approach...at all. I'd prefer the heroes get their own trilogies, with "event films" such as Avengers being what brings them together.

I hope DC doesn't try to establish a film cinematic universe. I'd much prefer they give their heroes television series, again, with season finales substituting as the "event films" of the Marvel cinematic universe.

I don't like the Marvel cinematic universe approach...at all. I'd prefer the heroes get their own trilogies, with "event films" such as Avengers being what brings them together.

Isn't that what they're doing?
The Iron Man trilogy is complete this year, while both Cap and Thor are getting their own sequels.

I really loved "In Bruges", but I didn't feel like watching "7 Psychopaths", because I'm really tired of the bickering, funny, quirky gangsters genre.
I'm also not interested in the new Gondry film, because besides the fact that it looks too much like a music video, it also looks way too "hip" for me.

Yeah; that's pretty much what they're up to..so I don't get what Wooden is trying to get through. Unless he doesn't want them interconnected at all.

You're pretty much on the mark, ANE. I'd prefer they not have any interconnection, except through stuff like The Avengers. I'm still bitter about the potential in Iron-Man II's story that was wasted.

That's fine by me, for me I don't think I can expect beforehand for any number of film to entertain me the same way, I must be a weird person since I find Amour entertaining, it's not entertaining like a comedy but it's engaging and for me that's the same as being entertaining, I phrase this weird but I hope you understand what I mean. :funny: In any case I think it's less about subtitles and more about the subject the film tackle, because I'll be damned if there's anyone who state that subtitles does stands in the way of enjoying the film, even those that are this light-hearted films.

With all these awards talk going on, I have to say I'm glad Affleck got snubbed of a directing nom at the Oscars, Argo is one film I can't bring myself to like as much as others, I really don't like these forced tension scenes, especially on the oh so silly climax, now I'm not saying a 100% accurate would've been better film but at least we'd have been spared from all the cliches and caricatures. I hate to be critical since I still think he's a competent director and Gone Baby Gone is one heck of a top-notch film that I hope he can match one of these days.

Like this dumbass? :woot: Keep going. It goes several pages.

I think entertaining and engaging go hand in hand. I think it's just semantics after that.

I mean, your post is already better summed up than A.O. Scott who's argument just summed down to fingerpointing and a lot of "Slow movies aren't boring and pretentious, Blockbusters are".

Last edited:
You're pretty much on the mark, ANE. I'd prefer they not have any interconnection, except through stuff like The Avengers. I'm still bitter about the potential in Iron-Man II's story that was wasted.

That's different. IM2 was a rush job by marvel, that barely escaped being average, thanks to the performances of RDJ and others.

I really loved "In Bruges", but I didn't feel like watching "7 Psychopaths", because I'm really tired of the bickering, funny, quirky gangsters genre.
I'm also not interested in the new Gondry film, because besides the fact that it looks too much like a music video, it also looks way too "hip" for me.

Well, you should definitely see it then, because it's much more than that. McDonagh's movies are hard to market, so they always end up looking like Snatch rip offs. I understand they're trying to appeal to people that wouldn't normally want to see what it actually is, but in this case, the marketing was so deceptive that they actually straight up lie about the plot (in regards to the psychopaths).

But yeah, I kinda agree about the Gondry film. The whimsical shtick in the trailer did nothing for me. I know it's a little early to really make a judgement based off of a trailer w/o subtitles but it does feel a tad overdone.

Isn't that what they're doing?
The Iron Man trilogy is complete this year, while both Cap and Thor are getting their own sequels.

They aren't trilogies. They're several serialized ongoing film series. Don't look for the next Iron Man film after IM3 to be a reboot. It'll just be an in-continuity continuation even if there is a total recast. Marvel Studios doesn't seem to want to be in the trilogy business. I don't blame them. Trilogies have been done to death and I'm sick of them for the most part. The MCU is supposed to be an alternative idea to the tired old trilogy formula.

Right, but Avengers probably wouldn't have worked without the interconnections they made.

I hope DC doesn't try to establish a film cinematic universe. I'd much prefer they give their heroes television series, again, with season finales substituting as the "event films" of the Marvel cinematic universe.

Absolutely agree. Marvel's approach works well for Marvel though, in my opinion. They're fun but the only fantastic one for me is Iron Man. The Incredible Hulk was very good, IM2 was meh ranging to boring, Thor was meh, Captain America was decent and The Avengers was pretty good. I really hope DC doesn't try to copy Marvel's formula and sticks to making solid, dramatic superhero trilogies while Marvel makes the more fun movies. Man of Steel seems to b followingt his but the Justice League idea they're tossing around has me worried.

This mostly has to do with Batman for me. As you can probably guess from my username, I'm a huge fan. Batman is a character that can be done interestingly so many different ways. Gothic, sci fi, grounded, etc... But, if they have this cinematic universe, you're tied down to only ever having one type of Batman movie. Now this goes for other characters too but Batman's just the one I gravitate towards.

DC should just stick to making these dramatic trilogies with no connections to each other (besides maybe a city name drop here and there) like The Dark Knight Trilogy. Make a 300/The Immortals style Wonder Woman trilogy, a space opera Green Lantern, etc... If you want a JL movie, sure. That could be fine. But don't tie down multiple franchises that are able to be interpreted in many way (as with the Batman example, grounded, gothic, sci fi, etc...) to one universe.

One easy way to do this is a multiverse film series. For example, the Nolan Batman series was Earth-4, the Burton ones were Earth-7, the Donner Superman movies are Earth-5, MoS is on Earth-12, Justice League on Earth-1, etc... If you really wanted to, some series could share a universe. MoS and Wonder Woman could be on Earth-12, for example.

But, I doubt they would ever consider this as it would likely be a tad confusing for people who don't follow the films.

I would argue that IM2's problems barely had to do with the MCU material at all.

I would argue that what problems IM2 had pale in comparison to the problems in 95%+ of all superhero movies ever made. I'd still rank it solidly in the upper echelon of comic book films.

I think wrath of the titans is a pretty cool flick. Not great, but it has some great action and I like the overall visual aesthetic. I honestly don't mind that this guy is directing the next tent movie, it's Michael bays involvement that worries me.

Well, you should definitely see it then, because it's much more than that. McDonagh's movies are hard to market, so they always end up looking like Snatch rip offs. I understand they're trying to appeal to people that wouldn't normally want to see what it actually is, but in this case, the marketing was so deceptive that they actually straight up lie about the plot (in regards to the psychopaths).

But yeah, I kinda agree about the Gondry film. The whimsical shtick in the trailer did nothing for me. I know it's a little early to really make a judgement based off of a trailer w/o subtitles but it does feel a tad overdone.
Now you made me want to watch it, thanks:up:

Couldn't agree more. Now when I look at the marketing for Seven Psychopaths I'm really just confused. Does not sum up how amazing that movie is at all.

I look at Marvel Studios as being like Hammer Films. They're a niche studio that has a cast of characters they use to tell stories. Ideally, Marvel will keep on going making superhero films just like they make comic books.

Yes, and DC Comics will do the opposite and there's no problem either way with me.

I just want a World's Finest movie, dammit!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"