State your unpopular film related opinion - - Part 11

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Dec 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grout

grout Well-Known Member

only one man i know that can make the worlds finest movie.. He's drinking a Dos Equis and is the most interesting man in the world.

Stay thirsty my friends...

2. moviedoors

moviedoors Well-Known Member

I'll echo what he said: Seven Psychopaths is much more than a wanna be Guy Ritchie movie. I straight don't like Guy Ritchie, but I really dug Seven Psychopaths. I've seen it once, just yesterday, but I know I'm gonna watch it again. It's funny, bloody as hell, really strange, and I know there's much to dig into and unpack.

3. Eddie Dean

Eddie Dean Mr. Jackpots

I hope they get really ****ing weird like the Hammer Films. Iron Man vs Kung Fu Draculas or a trilogy of lesbian superhero films.

4. gwynplaine

gwynplaine L'homme qui rit.

:up: Now I will definitely check it out.

5. gwynplaine

I don't like Watchmen either, but Snyder got Dr. Manhattan and The Comedian right though imo, the rest not so much. Especially Dr. Manhattan, thanks mostly to Crudup great, underrated performance.

6. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I understand Watchmen could be a hard pill to swallow, and you're probably right about it, what I liked about the movie was the different take on superheroes they made. I never read the original novel, but in a time where superhero movies were/are everywhere, I thought it was something different and interesting. Like when you go to a restaurant and there's the typical food you like everywhere, but sometimes you just like to try something different, even if you don't completely like it.

7. gwynplaine

Good point.

8. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

Oh, and it doesn't hurt that the movie was carefully made. I still have my doubts about Snyder, but Watchmen looks wonderful. Every frame, every shot, is just beautiful to look at.

9. Mace Dolex

Mace Dolex Powerful User

I agree it's a damn good movie, it doesn't feel rushed and everything from the novel seems to be in there (except the squid of course) and even the added director's cut doesn't make it bloated.

And if the movies length is a problem to some then I suggest to those that they watch it over two days, trust me I like 3 hour epics like any other but my interest starts to wander off.

10. Drizzle

Drizzle I got my cake.

You can't say that he didn't get Rorschach right. It's like he was ripped straight from the graphic novel. The only character that Snyder really screwed the pooch with was Ozymandias. It should have been Jude Law or someone similar in that role. Malin Akerman wasn't that great as Laurie either, but since the character isn't that all that interesting to begin with, I'll let that one slide.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  11. Snow Queen

Watchmen was a pretty good movie in my books. I actually really liked that they used Manhattan instead of the squid for the ending.

12. Chris Wallace

Chris Wallace LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...

I enjoyed it as well.

13. gwynplaine

Actually, it's one of the film's problem imo. It looks too carefully made, too beautiful, too much like a music video and it should look more gritty, like Taxi Driver or something lol. And more importantly, these people, except for Manhattan, are supposed to be normal people (like in the novel) who just put masks on, not super beings who can jump and punch the way they do in the film. An example, that prison escape fight felt way too choreographed, like wrestling or something, see Oldboy for the way it should have be done.

I don't think he did, but remember it's the unpopular opinion thread:woot:

14. gwynplaine

I also have my doubts about Snyder but I have great hopes about MOS.

15. JAK®

JAK® Upstart

The carefully made appearance fits with the book. If you look at how the Watchmen comics were made, each panel was painstakingly composed. This is why Dave Gibbons was chosen, because he had a very deliberate, almost infographic style. There's a whole issue where the panels are symmetrical, that's how careful the original comics were.

Every panel was incredibly dense, which the film recreates perfectly, and whatever stylised look the film has is directly inspired from the comic's unusual colour palette of greens, purples and browns, which absolutely was a stylistic choice, even if it was to look more 'real' than the typical primary colour look most other comics had. If you notice, the film uses the same colour palette.

As for the characters being normal people, this isn't really supported by the book either. Ozymandias manages to catch a bullet, despite being a normal man. Remember, these heroes were still successful at what they did before they retired, which implies that they had a skill-level akin to your average comic book vigilante like Batman or Blue Beetle. That is to say, much higher than a person in the real world, who would be dead within weeks.

The film has problems, don't get me wrong. The main problem is that it is a direct adaptation of a serialised story but condensed into a feature-length film. This made the film disjointed. Had this film been made the same way, but as a 12-part miniseries, it would have been more successful.

16. gwynplaine

Could Rorsach jump that high in the book or the Comedian, punch through walls and literally explode them ? It really felt like they had powers and were superhuman at times, which I don't think is what the book is about.
    Also the Vietnam sequences should have been less stylized IMO. Imagine Platoon or Full Metal Jacket with a naked blue semi god thrown into mix. That's what I would have liked to see instead of the green screeny, music video feel of Snyder. The scene where they escape the prison should have been more like the corridor sequence in Oldboy or something imo.
    That said i also get your point regarding the intricate and beautiful design of the graphic novel and I agree. I also agree with the 12 part miniseries.

17. bullets

bullets bang bang

I think if you compare 7 Psychopaths to In Bruges it becomes a disappointment , but otherwise it's worth a rental. I loved Christopher Walken's character.

18. gwynplaine

^ Thanks for the info, Bullets:up:

_ I kinda miss Michael Cera. I'm not sure what all the bashing was about?
    I thought he had great comedic timing and was pretty good in Superbad, Pilgrim, Arrested Development, Juno etc...
    Speaking of bashing I don't like that band wagon mentality when all of sudden someone becomes strangely persona non grata and every one lashes out at them.

19. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

He was too one note.

20. gwynplaine

That could be said of a lot of actors (and not necessarily bad ones), especially the comedic ones.
    Eisenberg, whom I like a lot, is pretty one note too, but somehow he gets a pass.
    What Cera does in Pilgrim or Superbad is not that one note or easy I think.
    But to each their own.
    (I like how you speak of him in the past tense as if he were dead:woot: He is just in Actor jail right now, he might come back who knows?)

21. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

Michael Cera is too one note, but the roles are all too similar, and so he plays the same character over and over again. As he gets older, I'm sure he will find another acting path.

22. Mrs. Sawyer

Mrs. Sawyer Well-Known Member

Difference between Cera and Eisenberg is that Eiseinberg could be taken more seriously and does more dramatic roles that requires more complexity for his roles, such as Adventureland and The Social Network.

23. gwynplaine

I don't really care for car chases.

24. gwynplaine

Really looking forward to World War Z and Warm Bodies.
    Sketchy CGI? Twilight knockoff? I don't care. Bring it on, I just love zombie movies:woot:

25. Majik1387

Majik1387 Well-Known Member

It's not a Twilight knockoff. :cmad:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.