State your unpopular film related opinion - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Peter Jackson's LotR trilogy
I like Marvel's the Avengers a bit more
Don't see either of them as the epitome of geek service in movies

Wow. I haven't seen Pain & Gain yet, but I'm curious as to what made you guys hate it. Was it just a bad movie, or was it offensive in some way, given that it's based on a true story?

It's a bad movie but I'd ignore that if it wasn't based on a true story. They make it a comedy. A comedy based on real life murders. To quote a reviewer I quite love:

Chris Stuckmann said:
This movie depicts a lot of murderous, tragic, events, committed by criminals who appear to be very blood thirsty because they want to be rich. And the movie depicts this in a very comedic sense, a very over the top, in your face, let's laugh about this sense. And I did a little research and some of the families of the victims of the people who were actually murdered by these guys are offended by that. And, honestly, I would be to.

It really just felt like a cliched Michael Bay movie that we get so often. It's two hours, twenty minutes long and a good twenty minutes could have been cut out of this movie. Lots and lots of forced humour, lots and lots of slow motion walking away from explosions with sunglasses on. This movie is trying so hard to be an assault on your senses. Like, certain elements of the movie are trying so hard to be funny but it's hard to really laugh because it's just constant, constant stuff just screamed at you. Like every character in this movie except for Dwayne Johnson is just a giant jerk. You can't really emphasis with these guys but the film at times is trying to make you do that. These guys were serious criminals and they want you to sympathize with them and I can't bring myself to do that when I know these events actually happened.

Wow. I haven't seen Pain & Gain yet, but I'm curious as to what made you guys hate it. Was it just a bad movie, or was it offensive in some way, given that it's based on a true story?
It's a Michael Bay movie, and from the description given
It's a bad movie but I'd ignore that if it wasn't based on a true story. They make it a comedy. A comedy based on real life murders.
He's gone too far in making bad movies

I have absolutely no interest in Electro. For me, TASM 2 is The Rhino.

I enjoyed Amazing Spider-Man more than I thought I would, but I honestly didn't enjoy it any more than I did Spider-Man 3. ASM 2 has not convinced me that it will be good yet, based on casting choices and set pics.

So far I'm not worried that ASM2 will feel like a retread of SM2 (I suppose they should be so lucky). The way things are shaping up, I'm more worried that it'll feel like SM3 again.

'Captain America : The First Avenger' was boring.

I seemed to get a lot of criticism for not really liking Moulin Rouge way back in the day.

I couldn't stand Moulin Rouge. The memory has mostly been forced from my brain, I do remember not enjoying it at all.

Lords of Salem is my least favorite Rob Zombie film. It had a lot of potential, but what resulted was a (blessedly short) disjointed film. Ugh.

As a result, I rewatched two of his other films and changed my opinions of them (somewhat.) El Superbeasto is a lot funnier than I remember it being the first time I viewed it.

House of 1K Corpses...I appreciate how colorful and experimental the film is, and I liked the theme of abandonment (especially manifested in the divine,) and Captain Spaulding stole the show. But...it felt too much like Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which I am not a fan of [I have to note: I understand while the original film is critically acclaimed; however, I just did not care for it, as I did 8 1/2. I loved the second film, which was cruder, but more enjoyable.]

I still like Devil's Rejects: saw it once, but, have no inclination to watch it again.

Out of his films, I still think the Halloween films reflect his talent well, with the second film being his best cinematic contribution.

Looking forward to him departing the horror genre with Broad Street Bullies.

I seemed to get a lot of criticism for not really liking Moulin Rouge way back in the day.

I couldn't stand Moulin Rouge. The memory has mostly been forced from my brain, I do remember not enjoying it at all.

I despise it except for the "Roxanne" scene. The Nostalgia Critic and I seem to share the same opinion on Moulin Rouge.

After seeing Iron Man 3 last night I can pretty much conclude that I just don't like the Iron Man movies.

Iron Man 1 was okay.

Iron Man 2 was pretty bad.

Iron Man 3 was terrible.

And if you take RDJ's performance out of the picture then the Iron Man movies are just awful. He's pretty much the only good thing about them.He's surrounded by uninteresting supporting characters and lame villains. Though Obadiah Stane was decent.

I like Fantastic Four movies more than Captain America and Thor

Count me in as another one who isn't much looking forward to TASM2. Breaks my Spidey-loving heart to say that. :(

Count me in as another one who isn't much looking forward to TASM2. Breaks my Spidey-loving heart to say that. :(

After the first one, I probably won't even watch 2. Between the cranes and the broken promise, the ending of TASM totally killed the movie for me.

After the first one, I probably won't even watch 2. Between the cranes and the broken promise, the ending of TASM totally killed the movie for me.
Unless the trailers REALLY impress me, I probs won't see TASM2. At least not in theatres. If I do watch it, it will be on DVD/Blu-ray/download/whatever.

When the name Michael Bay is associated to a movie, it's never the kind of "so bad it's good", it's the "I want to slap every character in the movie so hard until they bleed from their faces" bad
So horrible, I must avoid the Ninja Turtles movie coming next year, much to my dismay as a fan of the Turtles

When the name Michael Bay is associated to a movie, it's never the kind of "so bad it's good", it's the "I want to slap every character in the movie so hard until they bleed from their faces" bad
So horrible, I must avoid the Ninja Turtles movie coming next year, much to my dismay as a fan of the Turtles

I don't know if that's Unpopular, at least among fandom. General audiences obviously enjoy his films based off the astonishing amount of money the films make, but there's definitely a strong air of disdain surrounding his name amongst us fanfolks.

Personally the name Michael Bay isn't an instant turn-off for me. I loved The Rock, Bad Boys, Bad Boys 2. The Island and the first Transformers film I thought were good too, that's not a bad track record in my book.

I don't know if that's Unpopular, at least among fandom. General audiences obviously enjoy his films based off the astonishing amount of money the films make, but there's definitely a strong air of disdain surrounding his name amongst us fanfolks.

Personally the name Michael Bay isn't an instant turn-off for me. I loved The Rock, Bad Boys, Bad Boys 2. The Island and the first Transformers film I thought were good too, that's not a bad track record in my book.
The Rock is decent, I want to slap Sean Connery's character for the driving scene, and that's all I have to hate about that film
Other movies I saw of his work made him in my blacklist, Bad Boys included, which is sad considering I like Will Smith and Martin Lawrence movies

Kevin Smith hasn't made a good movie. Ever.

I love every one of Kevin Smith's films. Even Jersey Girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"