State your unpopular film related opinion - - - Part 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to see it again, but as I recall Superman Returns wasn't a bad movie at all. Is was just trying so bad to mimic and honor the Donner films that it didn't provide anything "new". I appreciate the effort of acknowledging those first 2 movies, but having Luthor again as a villain, with no real threat to the character, was underwhelming.
My main problem with it was that it didnt feel like a Superman movie. Superman/Clark just felt like a plot point, you never really get that many scenes of him doubting himself, revealing his fears to his mother or whoever, he was just...there. Lois, Luthor, and even Parker Posey's character got better development and character moments than Superman did imo.

That and I thought it was pretty boring.

I have to see it again, but as I recall Superman Returns wasn't a bad movie at all. Is was just trying so bad to mimic and honor the Donner films that it didn't provide anything "new". I appreciate the effort of acknowledging those first 2 movies, but having Luthor again as a villain, with no real threat to the character, was underwhelming.

I agree. I loved it back in 2006 and for a long time, with its problems and all, such as the ones you mention. I didn't mind everything Donner, but I expected more from Spacey's Luthor.

Based on memory I loved Spaceys luthor, at least his performance. Now the writing is Nother story...

I realize most of this will be my unpopular opinion, but...

I thought the characters in the movie were either VERY thin or non-existent. They were pretty much all very forgettable, and it seemed like none of the kids has any character or personality to them. They tried to overextend themselves, though, by trying to have emotional moments with a lot of different characters (like the one guy who went to save or check on his crush, but when he got to her, she was afraid and killed him, yet he still proclaimed his love for her or whatever). That scene may have had some emotional impact if we had any idea who these characters were, but it was just like that was their one scene.
Although I do like Battle Royale, this is the main reason I don't think it's the great movie many people make it out to be. The suspense was good and the themes were interesting, but there was very little in the way of characterization.

I think it's a good sequel to Superman 2, if not a little on the side of too long. Because of its connection to the first two movies, though, I don't think it was going to work as a reboot, even if it were more popular among fans.

I realize most of this will be my unpopular opinion, but...

I thought the characters in the movie were either VERY thin or non-existent. They were pretty much all very forgettable, and it seemed like none of the kids has any character or personality to them. They tried to overextend themselves, though, by trying to have emotional moments with a lot of different characters (like the one guy who went to save or check on his crush, but when he got to her, she was afraid and killed him, yet he still proclaimed his love for her or whatever). That scene may have had some emotional impact if we had any idea who these characters were, but it was just like that was their one scene.

The "bad guys" in general were a joke to me. The one kid who volunteered seemed neither intimidating or all that dangerous, since he appeared to have no idea how to use the one gun he loved shooting so much. I also don't remember any explanation of why someone would volunteer, other than "he's crazy" or something like that. The former teacher was even worse. Why were the military/government guys even taking orders from him?

At the beginning, it looked like the whole thing was a media frenzy, yet that was never touched on again. Do people even know this is going on when it does? If so, why the hell would any kid show up for school the day of a "class trip"?

I don't know, maybe it was all just me. I just didn't like it. I could keep saying things I didn't like, but I know I am in the minority on that movie.

The one scene I thought was great was the one in the lighthouse with all of the girls. I thought the way they all turned on each other so quickly when just the thought of suspicion came up was really well done.

I think it's a good film , but do agree some of the emotional impact is lost because we don't really get to know anyone until later in the film. I thought it got better as it went along. The lighthouse scene was also one of my favorite parts.

The reason the students act surprised was never explained. It's different from the novel .

Yeah, I too liked (and still like SR). The main issue, I think, is that it really wasn't the Superman movie we expected and wanted (and I use we in the royal sense to include fans and general audiences). In a lot of ways, it really let down the expectations of what a modern Superman movie should've been.

I like Superman Returns a lot.

As everyone else has it, it just wasn't the type of movie people wanted, and that's why it proved unsuccessful. Its still technically a good movie.

I think it's a good film , but do agree some of the emotional impact is lost because we don't really get to know anyone until later in the film. I thought it got better as it went along. The lighthouse scene was also one of my favorite parts.

The reason the students act surprised was never explained. It's different from the novel .
Hard to fit as many characters as they did?
I thought it was nice to see a few characters before their deaths

So I'm nearly done watching superman returns for the first time in ages to cap off my pre man of steel marathon...and I really like it. It isn't a bad movie by any stretch. Spacey is awesome, routh does a decent enough job, and there is an over abundance of awesome superman moments (the plane rescue, the action comics #1 shot, and hell I'll say it, him lifting the continent is pretty damn awesome). Bosworth is just kind of there, but she's not bad, though it bothers me that she brought her kid along with her on an investigation. Sam Huntington is fun as jimmy Olsen, frank langella is good as perry white. As for the kid...eh. The mechanics of it don't make sense but hey, it works thematically with ethe story they were trying to tell. All in all, I really liked it, and I would definitely had liked to see a sequel to it, though Im still excited as hell for man steel.

Speaking of the word Steel

steel.jpg

I don't hate Shaq's Steel movie

I actually don't know why Warner didn't go for a sequel to Superman Returns. The critics liked it, and though it wasn't a big hit, it made enough money. They could've built their own DC universe with that movie, even before Marvel.

Maybe cause it didn't inspire confidence in a billion dollar grossing movie

I actually don't know why Warner didn't go for a sequel to Superman Returns. The critics liked it, and though it wasn't a big hit, it made enough money. They could've built their own DC universe with that movie, even before Marvel.

The movie is known for having a mostly good reception, but executives wanted more money, since they had already wasted a lot in previous failed attempts. Still, I read on Wikipedia that Bryan Singer was still working in a sequel, but decided to stop in order to direct Valkyrie which delayed the sequel, and then Harris and Dougherty also left and moved on.

The movie is known for having a mostly good reception, but executives wanted more money, since they had already wasted a lot in previous failed attempts. Still, I read on Wikipedia that Bryan Singer was still working in a sequel, but decided to stop in order to direct Valkyrie which delayed the sequel, and then Harris and Dougherty also left and moved on.

Right, interesting.
I also think that since that time, and with so many regular and bad superhero movies in between, Superman Return's reputation holds up. Is like "hey, after all the s**t we've been watching, Returns wasn't that bad", you know what I mean?

Oh, here's a massive one: Sean Connery is a bad actor.

This is a man who played every single role he ever had -from Spanish Conquistador to Russian submarine commander- the exact. same. way... and got inexplicably lauded for it.

Don't get me wrong, he has buckets of charm and as a "Movie Star", he's a living legend. Nobody could deny it. But as an actual thespian? Pffft... nope.

-I dont like Wrath of Khan
-I dont really want Arnold back for another Terminator film

Oh, here's a massive one: Sean Connery is a bad actor.

This is a man who played every single role he ever had -from Spanish Conquistador to Russian submarine commander- the exact. same. way... and got inexplicably lauded for it.

Don't get me wrong, he has buckets of charm and as a "Movie Star", he's a living legend. Nobody could deny it. But as an actual thespian? Pffft... nope.

After reading that he turned down X-Men, Lord of the Rings, and The Matrix, my friend and I started playing "The Sean Connery Game," which is basically someone names a movie and you start acting out a role from that movie as Connery. It would catch on from time to time when we were out drinking with my other friends.

Citizen Kane is not the impressive movie everyone make it sound to be
-I dont really want Arnold back for another Terminator film
No Terminator movie should be made, Terminator 2 was the right place to end the story

Actually, Terminator 3 has a ****ing amazing ending. Best of the series.

Citizen Kane is not the impressive movie everyone make it sound to be

Oh, it is, but it's been Seinfeld isn't funny-ed. What makes it so amazing has been riffed, homaged, and used that it's easy for someone who wasn't there at the time to not see it. You have to put on your 1930s glasses and realized that this movie basically birthed the drama as we know it today.

That said, I tend to agree that's it's not the best film ever or anything. Probably not even the best one by Welles, but it's influence is pretty staggering.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say they like Kane in a forum post or article other than Roger Ebert and his like. It's always people going on about how brave and rebellious they are to admit they don't like it. I personally think it's a good drama but more worth watching for its historical importance, like all the innovative stuff it did first.

Citizen Kane is a fantastic film, and in my opinion holds up perfectly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"