State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
The breaking of the promise made perfect sense in the context of the movie.

Firstly, Capt Stacy made him promise as he was dying, in other words Pete was forced into it.

Secondly, Pete did reluctantly keep the promise, he even didn't go to the Funeral and rejected Gwen when she came to the house.

It was only after the speech from Aunt May about how Pete deserves to find happiness that he decides to break the forced promise.

The breaking of the promise made perfect sense in the context of the movie.

Firstly, Capt Stacy made him promise as he was dying, in other words Pete was forced into it.

Secondly, Pete did reluctantly keep the promise, he even didn't go to the Funeral and rejected Gwen when she came to the house.

It was only after the speech from Aunt May about how Pete deserves to find happiness that he decides to break the forced promise.

I agree, but I think the very compressed amount of time that the movie took to do it really didn't work. Right after the climax is a mini-arc that probably would have functioned better in the opening half of the sequel...but maybe they just didn't want to emulate the ending of the first Raimi movie.

Maguire captured Peter's inner nobility and earnestness of Peter so damn well. You feel for him.

the only thing I felt for Maguire's Peter was the urge to punch him in the face. and no, Andrew's Peter was not a jerk at all. you name the scenes where he acted like a dukee and I will explain to you why exactly he wasn't dukey. but even if he did act that way I'll take dukee over whiny pushover any day of the week.

I felt I could relate to Garfield more. He had that punk-hipster attitude and stood up for a kid even if he couldn't fight the bully. Kinda like how I was.

I agree, but I think the very compressed amount of time that the movie took to do it really didn't work. Right after the climax is a mini-arc that probably would have functioned better in the opening half of the sequel...but maybe they just didn't want to emulate the ending of the first Raimi movie.

Rather than the now infamous line, the teacher could've been talking about love or something and Peter could look at Gwen and smile. That would signify his intent to continue with Gwen without besmerching the promise he made, so soon after.

Although it flowed naturally in the movie, i agree it was too rushed.

Last edited:
Spider-Man 2 is also my favorite comic book film.

Why? Because it's simple and effective. It's not burdened with too many sub plots, characters and themes. Alvin Sargent wrote a beautiful screenplay, as it's one of my favorites in film. Raimi absolutely nailed the opposing Spider-Man No More and Doc Ock storylines in one film. The structure is superb where it looks easy. Everything is within a half hour of major turning points but it feels so natural where it doesn't feel underdeveloped. Everything is given the right amount of time.

Raimi also was able to really capture the spirit and tone of the comics while understanding that film is film and you need to tell the story for that format. He also improved upon Doc Ock as a character from the comics. He's actually interesting and tragic figure who isn't just some mad scientist who is full of himself.

Plus, it has a lot of heart. Moments like Peter and Uncle Ben in the car, Aunt May breaking down in front of Peter, and Harry hitting Peter. Real humanly raw and vulnerable moments that we don't see a lot in comic book films.

And until Garfield's Peter becomes likeable and an actual better person when he learns a lesson, then he has a shot of surpassing Maguire. Oh, and Andrew Garfield was more Peter Parker like in Boy A than he was in ASM. At least how I see Peter Parker anyway... which has something to do with Peter being a good person. Maguire captured Peter's inner nobility and earnestness of Peter so damn well. You feel for him. He's not just a character, he's a human being who happens to have these extraordinary powers while you can still identify with him. That is the essence of Peter Parker.

Problem is that you (well, not exactly you) feel... like sorry for him. The guy is hopelessly unable to socialize, to be respected by his fellow men (and women) and if writers weren't so compassionate, he wouldn't have one single shot at getting a girl like MJ (you never know what is she seeing in him).

But he was the better developed in SM2. That scene in which he confesses Aunt May he was partially responsible for Ben's death, that was true emotion. No underlining sad music, no cliche tear dropping, no infallible ever-forgiving little old lady cliche. That scene alone showed me Raimi was able to produce a good honest scene. Somehow he opted for easier ways most of the time.

I could relate to Garfield's Parker more than Maguire's Parker.

I liked that Garfield felt like an actual human being rather than a Saturday morning cartoon character.

I...

Oh sorry, apparently I'm in the Spider-Man thread.

*Closes the door*

Let's see an unpopular movie opinion to set the thread back on course...

hmmm.

I love Superman III. it's a funny movie, has the cool Clark vs Superman fight, develops Clark and Lana well and is just a good time.

One more?

Errr.

I don't get the hype for Nolan. While good storytelling and direction ect... All of his movies feel the same are are mostly depressing or downbeat

I actually like superman 3 as well. Gus Gorman, even though he's played entirely for laughs by Pryor, was actually a pretty interesting concept for a villain, being a savant with computers. I also thought the entire factory rescue scene was actually very well done with its pacing and gradually escalating sense of peril.

The Dark Knight Rises is a great film but you would not know that by reading these boards.

^ I enjoy when people on forums act like TDKR somehow flopped, when it was a huge hit with both critics and audiences.

It amuses me.

I still don't agree that Judge Dredd is a bad movie, it's much better than people say it is
I said Judge, so no one confuses it with the 2012 movie

The Dark Knight Rises is a great film but you would not know that by reading these boards.

Really? I'd say it's about 50/50. Just as many people on the 'Hype seem to think TDKR is brilliant, as there are people who thought it stunk on toast.

(though I don't ever visit the bat-boards, it could be a whole other story down there)

^ I enjoy when people on forums act like TDKR somehow flopped, when it was a huge hit with both critics and audiences.

It amuses me.

I can't say I've seen anyone doing that, but I guess it would be pretty funny. Everyone I've read who didn't like TDKR still recognizes it's box office success, much like disliking Avatar or Michael Bay's Transformers films. Ignoring a films success just because you didn't like it is bonkers.

I don't get the hype for Nolan. While good storytelling and direction ect... All of his movies feel the same are are mostly depressing or downbeat

I don't get why his fans are crazy

people do the same thing with the last two Superman movies. before MOS came out I have seen people describe Superman Returns as critically panned, but if you look at the RT score of the movie it's far from it.I mean in what world does 75% = critically panned? I'm guessing now that MOS is out they will stop doing that because MOS is actually the critically panned one. and I've seen people say MOS bombed at the BO :funny:

I wonder what is worse. Spidey boards or Bat boards.

But I though Garfield was a Saturday morning cartoon character? :oldrazz:

"Tobey Maguire for lifeeeee <3 my childhood Spider-Man, no one can beat him never ever he is the one and only Spider-Man!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"