State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - Part 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Tobey Maguire for lifeeeee <3 my childhood Spider-Man, no one can beat him never ever he is the one and only Spider-Man!"
Garfieldand_friends.png

:rimshot:

Maguire does good work, though it's just cool to rag on him after Spidey. Brothers and Pleasantville were probably his two best pieces of work. Seabiscuit I could take or leave.

When movies had great ideas behind them despite being executed badly, I choose to enjoy them rather than nitpick them to death. Films like the Matrix sequels and the Star Wars prequels. I wouldn't disagree though when someone will tell me that they have bad dialogue or there were plot holes. To me they are great stories, just told the bad way and could have been told better.

That's kind of how I feel about the original Highlander. Great concept. Even had some really good moments/scenes, but I found the overall delivery lacking.

Superman III was an abomination. I remember being 9 years old so looking forward to it and being so disgusted by the end result but too young to understand why it was such a terrible movie. The evil Superman fight in the junkyard was cool I guess - but made absolutely no sense.

I will confess to really liking Superman IV. I watch it now and cringe but I remember being thrilled to see Superman battle another super being ala Superman II. But the fights were cheesy as bad place.

If it were up to me Michael Rosenbaum would come back as Lex Luthor.

"Tobey Maguire for lifeeeee <3 my childhood Spider-Man, no one can beat him never ever he is the one and only Spider-Man!"

Okay. I'll revise my sig to "There is only one Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He is an adult, and he is straight. AND he is played by Tobey Maguire!"

When movies had great ideas behind them despite being executed badly, I choose to enjoy them rather than nitpick them to death. Films like the Matrix sequels and the Star Wars prequels. I wouldn't disagree though when someone will tell me that they have bad dialogue or there were plot holes. To me they are great stories, just told the bad way and could have been told better.

I prefer a bad director with a great story over a good director with a bad story.

Andrew Garfield's Peter Parker was more relateable than Tobey's. I also liked Tobey in Brothers, so my beef is more with Sam's writing. When it comes to adapting a hero for screen, I think having that relatability is important. Classic Peter Parker was meant to be someone the nerds of his time could relate to. So long as the film adaption is relatable, the director has done his or her job successfully.

Last edited:
Christopher Nolan's films get described as cold and emotionless quite a bit, and that's true sometimes. I didn't feel anything when the Waynes were shot, and in The Prestige you don't really sympathize much with anybody.

But Inception is definitely not emotionless. That last scene with DiCaprio and Marion Cotillard, and the last scene with Cillian Murphy and his father are extremely moving.

Christopher Nolan's films get described as cold and emotionless quite a bit, and that's true sometimes. I didn't feel anything when the Waynes were shot, and in The Prestige you don't really sympathize much with anybody.

But Inception is definitely not emotionless. That last scene with DiCaprio and Marion Cotillard, and the last scene with Cillian Murphy and his father are extremely moving.

As well as the examples you cite, Batman and Gordon's decision at the end of Knight, the entire ending of Rises, a lot of Leonard's journey in Memento etc. I get lots of 'feels' from his movies. I prefer that things like that are underplayed. Nothing irritates me more than a filmmaker trying to force me into feeling what they want me to through melodramatics a la Peter Jackson (for example).

Yeah, I also never got a cold vibe from Nolan's work. I always find myself emotionally invested in his movies.

Nolan's movies are more cerebral, maybe that's why is harder to find some sort of genuine emotion in them. He's a brilliant filmmaker, I just don't think he has found his best movie yet. There's still plenty of room for him to improve, and he certainly has the tools.

I have a hard time feeling emotional over the Waynes' deaths and the death of both Ben Parkers. Same for Broom's death in Hellboy. But yeah, give me underplayed over melodrama any day of the week.

Yeah, I also never got a cold vibe from Nolan's work. I always find myself emotionally invested in his movies.

Same. Great moments include the death of the Waynes', Alfred and Bruce at the Funeral, Harvey's last stand, and Alfred's scene in ''Rise''.

That reminds me, I guess one unpopular opinion I have about Rises is that I didn't particularly like the way Alfred was characterized. Mainly with how against Wayne being Batman he seemed to be. I think maybe part of it was that I'm just use to Alfred being supportive, but another part was that he never seemed to be against the idea before. He ran right into it along with Bruce in Begins and seemed more or less fine with it in TDK. I never liked that very much, always seemed odd to me.

HULK (2003) for me is the best the character has been characterised in feature films so far.

South Park, Bigger, Longer and Uncut is the best feature film musical since Grease.

Back To The future is the most consistently good movie franchise.

Box Office doesn't equal quality

South Park, Bigger, Longer and Uncut is the best feature film musical since Grease.
While I do love that movie, as far as musicals goes, I think Team America is better. Which of course, is still another Matt and Trey movie.

Last edited:
HULK (2003) for me is the best the character has been characterised in feature films so far.

Back To The future is the most consistently good movie franchise.

Box Office doesn't equal quality

I do really like HULK, though I prefer his characterization in the avengers. And absolutely agreed on the last two. Back to the future as a whole is fantastic.

Okay. I'll revise my sig to "There is only one Spider-Man. His name is Peter Parker. He is an adult, and he is straight. AND he is played by Tobey Maguire!"

It's funny, I would not mind if they cast Peter Parker as a black guy. As long as the actor portrayes the core of the character I'm happy.

Get out of here with that nonsense. Change is a toxic, ugly thing, dontcha know :o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"