State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - Part 16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Close Encounters, War of the Worlds, ET, and Indy 4. Spielberg should marry an alien or something.

If anything, Close Encounters of the Third Kind is underrated. Some of it is a little dated in fashion and dialogue, but otherwise it holds up extremely well imo.

It's not underrated. Ranking it lowly is most certainly the minority opinion.

Speaking of Spielberg, Empire of the Sun is one of his very best but no one seems to talk about it.

Temple Of Doom is one of, if not the, most complex movies Spielberg has made. He relates imperialism to the human interaction he finds in his own family life. He then displays the awesome effects of imperialism, as well as its negative reactions. Every scene is loaded with meaning, even those with Capshaw. People talk **** about it.

I can understand one not being able to enjoy it, it is an extremely dark and angry film on par with the Dark Knight. and Skyfall. But to not respect it or analyze it drives me nuts.

I mean think about the fact that Spielberg always has a theme of child to parent relationships in his films to relate his own struggles with his parents. Then you have this Raja show up as a child, the child is king but ultimately abused and used by the adults for ulterior motives.

Short round is Indy's best friend and a child. This is not a mistake. The fact that he ignores short round while investing in Capshaw's drama has significance.

Finally, at the dinner with the Raja the British officer, representative of the British empire, makes a comment referring to the Colony of India as a child of the British empire. Even the Voodoo doll, the idea of controlling someone as a puppet is very significant.

But I always hear it every time I try to talk about it, "I hate that movie Kate Capshaw is annoying". Its like really? No ****ing **** she is annoying that's the ****ing point you ******. And then they try to sound smart by naming some officially pronounced academic film, like the Godfather or Goodfellas. Oh really you like The Godfather? What a pioneer you are. Such intellect!

I think that my anger spurs from people so openly stating that they think outside the box because they like a film. Then you come to find there are 8 billion other academics sounding off with the same viewpoints on the same film. There are so many hidden gems, try to think different than the person next to you.

EDIT:

Indy also never steps foot on US soil in Temple of doom , also important.

there are films I hate, that I absolutely detest, that i can still speak intellectually about. So i am not calling out anyone specific but a trend I see online and outside.

Wut?

I just saw it again, and I must admit, I really enjoyed it. The Lone Ranger is actually pretty good. It could use some edit in the second act, but I like this movie.

Granted, it has been a long time since I have seen them, but I really do not care for the Indiana Jones films. Maybe I should give the franchise another chance in the future, but nothing about it really motivates me to see them.

I have a similar mind set towards Star Trek, and Lord Of The Rings.

Last edited:
Speaking of Spielberg, Empire of the Sun is one of his very best but no one seems to talk about it.

Indeed. I'd call it his best film overtly about childhood featuring a great central performance by a young Christian Bale.

Although I really like (and sometimes love) the French New Wave, i believe that as time went by the directors quit being artists for cinema and experimentation and instead became pretentious *****ebags hiding their dumb, self-indulgent crap behind the "nouvelle vague" curtain. Not all of them but quite a few of them, especially Godard.

Also an unpopular comic book related opinion: I like Rob Liefeld's work and I don't mind his overthetop designs.

Bad form!

ISusqd3.gif

Dustin Hoffman was really miscast in this.

I really enjoyed Punisher: WarZone and Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"