State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 21

Status
Not open for further replies.
I prefer returns. It's like a twisted, f***ed silver age comic. A beautiful merging of two kinds of batmen.

That's nice, now get back to that movie award thing you dropped the ball on back in 2013 :o

As lame as Doom's back story is, I'm still interested in the F4 film.

I am insterested too but seriously now, just make up your own characters and call it a F4 homage. Taking liberties is fine but this is just rediculous. Even if the movie is good, it will still be rediculous.

I don't care for Dumb and Dumber, and think the sequel looks ****ing terrible.

I am insterested too but seriously now, just make up your own characters and call it a F4 homage. Taking liberties is fine but this is just rediculous. Even if the movie is good, it will still be rediculous.

Comics do this all the time, which is why the Ultimate brand of comics were called Ultimate Fantastic Four and not Them Crazy Four or something. I'll never understand why it is that movies are put to this strict code of adaptation when the comic medium they draw from do it literally all the time.

You're right, but I think it has to be within limits. The changes to F4 sound ludicrous.

Comics do this all the time, which is why the Ultimate brand of comics were called Ultimate Fantastic Four and not Them Crazy Four or something. I'll never understand why it is that movies are put to this strict code of adaptation when the comic medium they draw from do it literally all the time.
Ultimate Fantastic Four is an alternative to the standard 616 Fantastic Four, both comics were available at the same time. A film is a new medium, you only get one every two years (if you're lucky) so fans want to see the Fantastic Four translated to the screen in a way that they enjoy and recognise.

You're right, but I think it has to be within limits. The changes to F4 sound ludicrous.

All changes probably sound that way if you have a dogmatic view of something. Honestly, I don't think it sounds particularly good or anything, but they can still portray Doom as a character properly regardless of his background. It may suck, sure, but let it suck for sucking, not suck for not copying to a source that's been changed and reimagined so many times throughout the years that it's not all that recognizable what the "source" is anymore.

All changes probably sound that way if you have a dogmatic view of something. Honestly, I don't think it sounds particularly good or anything, but they can still portray Doom as a character properly regardless of his background. It may suck, sure, but let it suck for sucking, not suck for not copying to a source that's been changed and reimagined so many times throughout the years that it's not all that recognizable what the "source" is anymore.
..Have you heard what they're doing with Dr. Doom?

When I said I didn't think it sounded particularly good, what is it that you thought I was referring to?

I'm just making sure because it seems like you're implying the fans are overreacting over a change that deserves all the scorn that it receives.

JAK®;30097927 said:
I'm just making sure because it seems like you're implying the fans are overreacting over a change that deserves all the scorn that it receives.

No, you have it right, I'm just not one to blindly "scorn" something that I haven't seen yet. That being open-minded and all.

No, you have it right, I'm just not one to blindly "scorn" something that I haven't seen yet. That being open-minded and all.
Mate.

They turned a dictator in a suit of cybernetic armour and sorcery powers into a blogger.

You don't have to see it to know that this is not acceptable.

JAK®;30098029 said:
Mate.

They turned a dictator in a suit of cybernetic armour and sorcery powers into a blogger.

You don't have to see it to know that this is not acceptable.

If all the character is to you is aesthetics and background, sure (and we don't know what he'll look like either as far as to my knowledge), I'd agree here. Just like if the fact that Johnny Storm has white skin was all there was to his character would make the casting of Jordan unacceptable. But I understand that these characters are more than that (characterizations, personalities, archetypes, etc.), and have been reinterpreted in a multitude of ways over the 50 years of their existence. Like I said, the change definitely doesn't sound good, but I'm open enough that I'll wait and see what it produces before denouncing it.

Indiana Jones Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is better than The Last Crusade.

Tim Burton's Batman movies are terrible, and poor representations of Batman.

Man Of Steel is worse than Superman Returns.

The horror genre has not produced a really good horror movie since the 80's.

If all the character is to you is aesthetics and background, sure (and we don't know what he'll look like either as far as to my knowledge), I'd agree here. Just like if the fact that Johnny Storm has white skin was all there was to his character would make the casting of Jordan unacceptable. But I understand that these characters are more than that (characterizations, personalities, archetypes, etc.), and have been reinterpreted in a multitude of ways over the 50 years of their existence. Like I said, the change definitely doesn't sound good, but I'm open enough that I'll wait and see what it produces before denouncing it.

Don't compare what they've done to Doom to a race swap. Johnny can still act like Johnny, black or white.

Dr. Doom is not a blogger. It is not in his character to be a blogger. To make him a blogger rather than a dictator is swapping his character with another. To handwave this off as 'another interpretation' is a vast oversimplification of the issue. This is not minor. And you're not being sensible for reserving judgment.

JAK®;30098419 said:
Don't compare what they've done to Doom to a race swap. Johnny can still act like Johnny, black or white.

I will compare it, because it's similar. No, not exactly the same obviously, but just like a race change doesn't totally change everything about a character, neither does a background change. If they can still preserve the egotistic madmen with a Messiah complex who has an irrational hatred of Reed Richards, then you can Doom, it'll just be a different context, such as any new imagining of a character. If the character is the only the background of being a maniacal dictator, then I guess there's no way to convince you otherwise: you and others can stay hidden away in your dogmatic views until you're either vindicated or proven wrong when the film actually comes out.

Dr. Doom is not a blogger. It is not in his character to be a blogger. To make him a blogger rather than a dictator is swapping his character with another. To handwave this off as 'another interpretation' is a vast oversimplification of the issue. This is not minor. And you're not being sensible for reserving judgment.
Yeah, I forgot this is the internet where rash, kneejerk reactions are the sensible thing over reserving judgement until you've actually seen something.

I just hope this guy gets his due. "Its Clobberin' Time!":woot:

FF51.jpg

Besides "Planes, Trains and Automobiles", I don't really care for any John Hughes' films:o

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"