State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's as close to a reboot as you're going to get. Especially now, what with the X-Men franchise gaining new life and becoming good again.

no one ever said we would get more of a reboot; alls I'm saying is that x men first class does not describe what blackman wanted. a full reboot.

And I'm saying that DOFP is as close to a full reboot as you're going to get. Events have changed, actors will change, basically everything will change. It does the same thing a full reboot would have done without the mess of a full reboot.

I've read where some call DOFP Singer's X-Men 3. Does this hold true in the sense of the movie working as a better followup to X2 than X3 The Last Stand?

He's not overrated amongst joe six pack, but among us....we do kinda label him as the alpha and omega.

Yea i get what you're saying. But still, one of the best actors around. He's a proper chameleon.

Gary Oldman overrated? If anything he is underrated. One of the most underrated actors of all time really. He's given some truly amazing performances over the years.

dude gets praise left and right and got nominated for an oscar. that doesn't scream underrated to me.

Oldman is one of the best working character actors.

Not everyone showered with praise is "overrated". That's become such a lazy word.

Sometimes people are highly regarded because they deserve it.

There is a definite disconnect between here and the real world though.

Like here prope like Tom Hardy and Benedict Cumberbatch might be called "overrated" because they're fan cast for everything, but among mainstream crowds if anything they're underrated. Joe Shmo on the street doesn't know who Tom Hardy is, just because he gets worshipped here.

Only thing Gary Oldman is is typecast as a bad guy a lot of the time. It's part of why I loved him as Commissioner Gordon. As good as he is playing a bad guy, he also does a bad place of a job as a good guy.

Oldman hasn't actually played a bad guy for a long time now, unless I'm forgetting something.

Tbh, I haven't seen a whole lot of stuff with him in it, but the movies I did see him in primarily had him as a villain.

The Fifth Element has my favourite Gary Oldman performance...

Despite it's major missteps with The Last Stand and Origins and I'd like less Wolverine focus, I prefer the X-Men series to the MCU.

Fun fact: Oldman was Bennet Miller's first choice for DuPont in Foxcatcher before Carell was eventually cast.

I 100% agree. I wish he'd win an award, but Im glad he's at least getting recognition

I have no idea how no one on Youtube mashed up DuPont working in the Office and Michael Scott as the coach.

Not everyone showered with praise is "overrated". That's become such a lazy word.

Sometimes people are highly regarded because they deserve it.
This is true, and i do think oldman is a good actor, but in my opinion he gets more praise than he deserves. Hence, overrated.
And I'm saying that DOFP is as close to a full reboot as you're going to get. Events have changed, actors will change, basically everything will change. It does the same thing a full reboot would have done without the mess of a full reboot.

Right but this all started when Blackman said he wanted a full reboot, and you responded by saying he got one with dofp/first class, which is not true. A full reboot means starting from scratch and that's not at all what first class was. It was a prequel to the first x men trilogy.

Right but this all started when Blackman said he wanted a full reboot, and you responded by saying he got one with dofp/first class, which is not true. A full reboot means starting from scratch and that's not at all what first class was. It was a prequel to the first x men trilogy.

Why do you keep saying First Class? He's not talking about First Class, he's talking about Days of Future Past. FC is a prequel with some events rectonned. DOFP may not be a traditional reboot like we got with Spider-Man, but it functions as one: it basically wipes out the continuity of the previous films. It may not be a reboot like he wanted, but it functions in the same way.

Why do you keep saying First Class? He's not talking about First Class, he's talking about Days of Future Past. FC is a prequel with some events rectonned. DOFP may not be a traditional reboot like we got with Spider-Man, but it functions as one: it basically wipes out the continuity of the previous films. It may not be a reboot like he wanted, but it functions in the same way.

Okay it wasn't exactly right of me to say first class, but everything else I say still goes. Blackman said he wanted a full reboot, and that is not what dofp is. It is a continuation of the story set up by all the previous x men films. Yes, the plot of dofp involved wiping out the events of the previous installments, but that is part of the full cinematic story itself.

These things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

These things are not necessarily mutually exclusive.

No they are not, tron bonne. However, I think you and I can agree on the idea that typically, a reboot consists of the reintroduction of main characters, yeah?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"