State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 24

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hate the HS setting, I would have loved if they started with college so I'm disappointed that we'll get teen Spidey. However a reboot was completely necessary, Andrew was completely awful in the role and both of those movies were bad. Tom Holland already feels like a better PP/SM
what's ironic is that at 19, holland is right around the age that most college students are freshman. and he's gonna be portraying a sophomore or something, in high school...

I agree though. I wanted a college peter parker, and that's another reason why I was rooting for dylan o'brien, coz at this point he would be the ideal, probably perfect peter parker in college...ugh. and now we've got this tom holland guy who's college age who can also easily portray a college freshman but instead they're gonna just make him a high school kid.

Sorry, but you set yourself up for it. You can't have it both ways. You can't dismiss something and say, 'Hey, this is silly, please don't put in something that's already so silly it's almost a parody of itself.' It's fine if you personally don't like it or don't want it. I'm not going to diss someone for that. I personally think it's a very limiting and narrow view of a character who has been around for 75 years, but we all have our personal preference. But let's not pretend something is as silly or cheesy as stuff about people dressing up in pajamas and fighting clays and clowns is some kind of realistic portrayal of life on anything other than the symbolic.
this is how I feel about nolan's batman trilogy. as much as he tried to "ground it in reality", i'll never for a second believe that a secret group of ninja terrorists claiming to be like the illuminati ("we sacked rome, loaded ships with plague rats, burned london to the ground") exists in a realistic setting, or that fear toxin, or a man who can punch through concrete like a bag.
You say I set myself up for it, I say it's unnecessarily condescending, you could have just ignored my post or made your point without trying to degrade another person's opinion. It's obvious that superhero movies are inherently unrealistic and yes, even cheesy if you look at it in a literal sense. But I think most superhero movie fans are happy that these movies are being taken more seriously as a genre, both in terms of tone and reception from otherwise pretensions people who think the entire genre is a joke.

Sure, guys dressing up in costumes, doing fantastical things and fighting fantastical creatures or costumed villains isn't exactly Shakespeare but I for one am glad that they're trying to blend these characters into a more realistic setting and showing that the genre is no less valid than any other. Plenty of movie genre's are inherently unrealistic and cheesy, that doesn't mean that you can't approach it from a perspective that lends itself to making not only good comic book movies, but good movies in general that just happen to be based on comic book characters.

You can take all kinds of different approaches in regards to comic book movies, I prefer embracing the source material while taking a more real world approach. Yeah, they're dressed in costumes you could call ridiculous, with powers that don't exist but plenty of these characters have complex and realistic qualities and backstories too. You can say it's hypocritical to accept powers and costumes but not accept kid superhero's, and hell I guess it is, but that doesn't change my preference. It's as simple as personal preference, some things I just don't care for even if it's contradictory. I do find kid superhero's more cheesy and silly than their adult counterparts, you don't agree and that's fine, we have different tolerance levels, you're entitled to your opinion just like I am. And I'm fine with you thinking it's contradictory or hypocritical, it's still my preference. I don't care for kid/teen movies of any genre the majority of the time, just because this genre is based on alot completely unrealistic themes doesn't make it any more enjoyable for me. You say superhero movies are inherently silly and cheesy, well then I say adding kids into the mix is just unnecessarily doubling down on that factor and to top it off with lousy kid actors that are usually cringe worthy even in the most serious of genres.
I agree with that - that's one of the reasons why I think daredevil is great, I mean it's not so much dark as it is just gritty, but it was still great to me. it's also a reason why av2 was so disappointing to me. the first teaser trailer made it feel like the film was gonna have a much darker tone than previously established but then the film comes out and ends up being such an utter disappointment on sooo many fronts.

One could also argue that calling something silly and cheesy is just as condescending, since there are people out there who like these things and don't find them silly or cheesy, at least not in a negative context.
I don't think calling the specified work cheesy or silly is condescending, that's just how the person who views it feels of it. it may be an unpopular opinion compared to others' but it's still what they made of it.

like...I thought parts of harry potter and the prisoner of azkaban were extremely corny...I don't see how it is condescending to say or believe that, and i'm also a hardcore harry potter fan.
The one that's always stuck out to me is Wolverine. He's supposed to have this reputation as the ultimate badass loner, but he's got more friends and family than anyone else in the MU.
are we talking the cinematic fox wolverine? or the comic character?

are we talking the cinematic fox wolverine? or the comic character?

I'd have to say mostly the comic. My familiarity with movie-Wolverine isn't all that great, but from what I do know they never really tried to push the badass loner reputation on the character after the first film. In the comics, at least up until 3-4 years ago, it was still constantly being suggested that Logan is this lone wanderer type character, when really he was the complete opposite.

It's a bit of a trend with the cool side characters though. Not that they're terribly similar, but Jack Sparrow is sort of another example of this. What started out as an amusing side character gets bought into the forefront when the creators realize how popular the character has become. Ironically, in my opinion, often times exploring your mysterious or amusing supporting characters tends to take away from what made them so appealing in the first place.

I'd have to say mostly the comic. My familiarity with movie-Wolverine isn't all that great, but from what I do know they never really tried to push the badass loner reputation on the character after the first film. In the comics, at least up until 3-4 years ago, it was still constantly being suggested that Logan is this lone wanderer type character, when really he was the complete opposite.

It's a bit of a trend with the cool side characters though. Not that they're terribly similar, but Jack Sparrow is sort of another example of this. What started out as an amusing side character gets bought into the forefront when the creators realize how popular the character has become. Ironically, in my opinion, often times exploring your mysterious or amusing supporting characters tends to take away from what made them so appealing in the first place.
well he's kinda both isn't he? i mean after all he is an x-man and I know he was part of the new avengers at some point or something like that. I get where you're coming from though. people say similar things about spidey being a solo superhero and that being a primary reason he shouldn't have joined the mcu or the avengers. for the former, I cannot agree with that at all whatsoever because he should definitely exist in the same universe as the rest, but I dunno how well he'd fit into the team coz he kinda does operate solo. but he was involved in the infinity wars so there's that.

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood is, for the money, the best Jason movie. It's got Kane Hodder, the kills are brutal, Jason looks sick, he has a worthwhile opponent, and there's even a recap of the previous movies at the beginning. If you can only watch one Friday the 13th movie, Part VII is where it's at.

That's the one with the telekinetic chick, right? It's one of the better later Friday movies. Definitely wouldn't call it the best, though.

Its on netflix. Ill watch it on your advise guys, I'll update with my conclusion.

I'm not interested in rehashing high school Peter. We've gotten it twice within one decade.

They should have kept Garfield and gone into the wider MCU with Spidey in a bad place from the death of Gwen. Then his next solo movie could have introduced MJ.

Rebooting Spidey again was unnecessary. The reboot series' problems weren't Garfield's fault.

Feel the exact same way.

Would've been much better to have Andrews next movie a year or so after Gwens death, in college and with a larger supporting cast.

Starting over for the second time is counter-active.

If not keeping with the current actor an continuity then a different version of Spidey, something we haven't seen yet would be better than a a THIRD Peter Parker

I don´t mind a new peter. but if they don´t bring back JK Simmons and instead cast J. Jonah Jameson with a new actor then I´ll be angry!!!

I'm not interested in rehashing high school Peter. We've gotten it twice within one decade.

They should have kept Garfield and gone into the wider MCU with Spidey in a bad place from the death of Gwen. Then his next solo movie could have introduced MJ.

Rebooting Spidey again was unnecessary. The reboot series' problems weren't Garfield's fault.
Agreed. Garfield was a great Peter/Spidey.

I like Jason Statham in general but I didn't think he was very good in Spy, granted he wasn't helped by a poorly written role.
Melissa Mc Carthy on the other hand was great. I wouldn't be surprised if she got an Oscar in a couple of years for a dramatic role or something.

well he's kinda both isn't he? i mean after all he is an x-man and I know he was part of the new avengers at some point or something like that. I get where you're coming from though. people say similar things about spidey being a solo superhero and that being a primary reason he shouldn't have joined the mcu or the avengers. for the former, I cannot agree with that at all whatsoever because he should definitely exist in the same universe as the rest, but I dunno how well he'd fit into the team coz he kinda does operate solo. but he was involved in the infinity wars so there's that.

I guess the difference with Spidey, at least to me, is that I don't feel like they ever really pushed any kind of lone-wolf type reputation on the character. It doesn't seem quite as unusual for Spider-Man to have super friends as it does for a character who's supposedly a loner, like Wolverine.

Off the top of my head, about the only Marvel character I can think of who has successfully maintained that badass-loner rep over the years is The Punisher. Now and then people develop a small supporting cast for him, or have him team up with whoever for a few issues, but in the end Frank Castle consistently returns to flying solo.

I'm personally glad that the MCU is scrapping the ASM-Sony verse because they really drove that franchise into the ground.
That aside, when you think about it, we didn't really get a high school Peter save for one movie. He graduated high school halfway through the first Raimi film and was in college for the other two; then came ASM, which was the only one in that setting.

I really just want a Spider-Man film that is
80% Spectacular Spider-Man, 10% Ultimate, and then 10% "original" ideas

I guess the difference with Spidey, at least to me, is that I don't feel like they ever really pushed any kind of lone-wolf type reputation on the character. It doesn't seem quite as unusual for Spider-Man to have super friends as it does for a character who's supposedly a loner, like Wolverine.

Off the top of my head, about the only Marvel character I can think of who has successfully maintained that badass-loner rep over the years is The Punisher. Now and then people develop a small supporting cast for him, or have him team up with whoever for a few issues, but in the end Frank Castle consistently returns to flying solo.
ah well technically the punisher found a worthy partner in slim shady :D

eminem-punisher-comic.jpg

I really just want a Spider-Man film that is
80% Spectacular Spider-Man, 10% Ultimate, and then 10% "original" ideas
hm, I didn't think people want the film to have anything to do with that. are you talking about the cartoon?

Fun fact, Eminem wanted to be a comic book artist before he set his sights on becoming a rapper.

Are you kidding me? Are you kidding me?
Eminem could do that as a kid? Damn. That dude was going to be successful at whatever he wanted.
yes. i mean no, i'm not kidding you. he seriously wanted to pursue a career in comic books before he stuck to rapping. he also drew the reup cover

Eminem_Presents_the_Re-Up.jpg

Friday the 13th Part VII: The New Blood is, for the money, the best Jason movie. It's got Kane Hodder, the kills are brutal, Jason looks sick, he has a worthwhile opponent, and there's even a recap of the previous movies at the beginning. If you can only watch one Friday the 13th movie, Part VII is where it's at.

It's not my favorite, but it might have the definitive look for Jason. Hodder gives a real performance too. He's not just hitting his marks, he found a character in the body language. It's a shame he didn't get to be in more of the classic F13 movies.

Exception being Mr. Hyde, all the CGI monsters in that Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie, visually, still hold up really well.

Exception being Mr. Hyde, all the CGI monsters in that Hugh Jackman Van Helsing movie, visually, still hold up really well.

The clothes becoming wings and the no nipples on the vampire brides drew me out of that.

That Punisher/Archie made me think that there's a Predator vs Archie comic running now where apparently the Archie crew legitimately getting killed in brutal ways.

hm, I didn't think people want the film to have anything to do with that. are you talking about the cartoon?

Might be worth mentioning that Ultimate Spider-Man started out as an alternate version of Peter Parker. Miles, the character many reference as Ultimate Spider-Man now, didn't actually come about until about 3 or so years ago.

I don´t mind a new peter. but if they don´t bring back JK Simmons and instead cast J. Jonah Jameson with a new actor then I´ll be angry!!!

I'll be honest, I can do without J. Jonah Jameson. Wanna talk about a character that hasn't changed in years, look no further than JJJ.
Also, why does everyone want a remake or reboot to cast the same actor as the same character? Do you not understand what that EVERYTHING changes in a remake/reboot? Ya don't get to pick and choose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"