State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 25

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's one. Buffy the Vampire Slayer the movie is better than the TV series.

The movie is good, campy fun. But I find the TV series unwatchable. The bad acting, writing, direction, fight choreography, makeup, effects... It's unbearable. Granted, I've only seen the earlier episodes, but they're garbage. I've heard it gets good later on, but I'm sorry... I'm not going to sit through three or four seasons of crap in hopes that it eventually becomes watchable.

I agree. Almost everyone seemed to love it when I was in high school, probably at the hight of it's popularity and I wasn't a fan either.

You guys are a hot mess, but I still love you anyway. :o

I like Wild Wild West.

Meh. It was alright. Kenneth Branagh was having fun in it.

The movie is good, campy fun. But I find the TV series unwatchable. The bad acting, writing, direction, fight choreography, makeup, effects... It's unbearable. Granted, I've only seen the earlier episodes, but they're garbage. I've heard it gets good later on, but I'm sorry... I'm not going to sit through three or four seasons of crap in hopes that it eventually becomes watchable.

I dont like Buffy either.
I actually think Whedon is incredibly overrated in general.

I do think the ending for Angel was really cool though.

You're all monsters.

Buffy was great. In its day. Doesn't hold up well, like all of Whedons work

I don't know, those episodes of Roseanne he wrote are still pretty solid I think

Agreed. I made through four seasons of that and I don't know why. It was when The Avengers came out, so I tried. I really did. The dialogue is grating. Everything is dated in the worst way. No thanks. Definitely not one of the all-time great TV shows like some people say. Good for 90s WB shows, maybe. (Angel seems like it could be cool from what I've heard.)

The best part of Buffy was that it gave Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight their careers.

I dont like Buffy either.
I actually think Whedon is incredibly overrated in general.

I do think the ending for Angel was really cool though.

While I don't agree with your Buffy/Whedon comments, I definitely agree about the end of Angel.

Not only is Angel season five my favorite of all the Buffy/Angel seasons, but "Not Fade Away" is one of my favorite episodes of any show ever.

Agreed. I made through four seasons of that and I don't know why. It was when The Avengers came out, so I tried. I really did. The dialogue is grating. Everything is dated in the worst way. No thanks. Definitely not one of the all-time great TV shows like some people say. Good for 90s WB shows, maybe. (Angel seems like it could be cool from what I've heard.)

The best part of Buffy was that it gave Drew Goddard and Steven DeKnight their careers.

Yeah, I gave it another shot recently since it's on Netflix and damn... I used to just think it was Sarah Michelle Gellar that was bad... But the truth is, ALL of the actors on it suck. That stupid guy who follows her around, Charisma Carpeter.... Hell, even Alison Hannigan isn't very good. It's so weak.

It's funny how quickly people turn on someone no longer associated with their overlord Marvel. :whatever:

For me nothing to do with Marvel. Never really liked him.

Joss Whedon has always felt overrated to me. He basically carries the cliches of his work with him EVERYWHERE. Everyone is snarky, there is always some sort of emotional moment in between the snark, someone dies unexpectedly even though its's seen from a mile away.
That said, I do like some of his work. Mostly the comic stuff, like his run on X-men, obvious Avengers, and to a lesser extent Age of Ultron. But stuff like Buffy and Firefly (Especially Firefly) I either don't get into it or I don't care at all. He's ok, but he's not as great as his fans hold him up to be. Which makes me wonder how he gets to do the same thing over and over again but that's fine, but M. Night does the same thing over and over again but gets blasted for it.

Joss Whedon has always felt overrated to me. He basically carries the cliches of his work with him EVERYWHERE. Everyone is snarky, there is always some sort of emotional moment in between the snark, someone dies unexpectedly even though its's seen from a mile away.That said, I do like some of his work. Mostly the comic stuff, like his run on X-men, obvious Avengers, and to a lesser extent Age of Ultron. But stuff like Buffy and Firefly (Especially Firefly) I either don't get into it or I don't care at all. He's ok, but he's not as great as his fans hold him up to be. Which makes me wonder how he gets to do the same thing over and over again but that's fine, but M. Night does the same thing over and over again but gets blasted for it.

I think that's true for most creators though, isn't it? Read/watch enough of anyone's work and you start to notice patterns. Maybe M. Night gets more guff for it because he doesn't hide his tricks as well as others -and his latter films are widely panned for a myriad of other reasons, which can't help. Most directors use the same tricks over and over, I'd struggle to think of a writer (especially in comics) who doesn't repeat certain story elements, or dialogue.

Whedon's main strength is creating lovable characters -sure he goes about it much the same way each time, but he's good at what he does, it obviously works well. Once you can get your audience invested in the fate of your characters, you can do whatever you like.

I'm watching the Buffy series right now on Netflix. I still love it.

I hate you all!

Superman Returns isn't the travesty some people think it is.
Same with the last two Iron Man movies.
I also found Batman Returns to be both unpleasant and boring, I don't care to ever watch it again.
Batman Forever is almost as bad as Batman and Robin, but no one ever talks about how awful that movie is because B&R's role as the punching bag for the entire CBM genre as a whole has overshadowed it.
I don't know how unpopular any of those might be, but I figure'd I'd throw in my two cents.

Same with the last two Iron Man movies.

I like all the Iron Man movies. I think the third one gets a lot of complaints for the twist, which is fair enough -it didn't bother me personally (I thought it was pretty clever) but I can definitely appreciate why people got upset about it. The other chief complaint that I've heard isn't actually accurate, sort of a false complaint -that Killian's motivation is all due to the fact Stark left him waiting on a roof top one evening- which isn't the case.

I like all the Iron Man movies. I think the third one gets a lot of complaints for the twist, which is fair enough -it didn't bother me personally (I thought it was pretty clever) but I can definitely appreciate why people got upset about it. The other chief complaint that I've heard isn't actually accurate, sort of a false complaint -that Killian's motivation is all due to the fact Stark left him waiting on a roof top one evening- which isn't the case.

I understand why some wouldn't be too fond of it, but I loved it. I was laughing out loud when Kingsley finally revealed himself, he really sold it. IM 3 is probably in the top 5 MCU movies for me.

I understand why some wouldn't be too fond of it, but I loved it. I was laughing out loud when Kingsley finally revealed himself, he really sold it. IM 3 is probably in the top 5 MCU movies for me.

So was I! Partly because it was funny, but mostly because I admired how unexpected it was. They really pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

That said, I hope they continue on from the one-shot and create a real MCU Mandarin at some point.

So was I! Partly because it was funny, but mostly because I admired how unexpected it was. They really pulled the wool over everyone's eyes.

That said, I hope they continue on from the one-shot and create a real MCU Mandarin at some point.

In a world of leaks, spoilers, and scoops, you have to admire Marvel for being able to keep the lid on that like they did.
The funniest part was when Kingsley started cheering for the soccer match in the middle of being interrogated. From what I understand that was Kingsley's idea.
I also really hope we get a real Mandarin at some point, but I'm not super optimistic about it. They've got a lot on their plate. It'd make a very interesting addition to phase 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"