State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 27

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't blame Edwards for that, at least not entirely. He didn't write Godzilla, nor did he write Rogue One. There weren't really any bad performances in Godzilla, the characters were just written very blandly save for Bryan Cranston's.

Here's the "The director did what they could with a lesser script" idea. I just don't buy this. Film is the director's medium, and if anyone has control first in a big studio movie, it's the studio then the director who guides the story. The writers don't have control. They write, but based on the demands of everybody in every direction and with luck, get something that they wanted to tell to be filmed. Especially with movies today. A blockbuster movie usually is not wholly representative of the writer's ability and skill. I mean if one thinks that is all Frank Darabont's script, the writer of Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile, then ****. :funny: That script was a conglomeration of many writers, a director and a two studios with their own requirements and wants. It takes a great director to guide the story and know what it is going, despite all of this. I find it ironic in an industry that overlooks writers, once a movie is bad, the blame first goes to the writers. :funny:

Looking at Monsters and Godzilla, there's recurring elements in both if one doesn't look at the writing. It's Edwards guiding vision, and from what I've seen in his vision and sensibilities, his characters are lacking.

Once you sell a screenplay, that's it. Your job is done. They tweak the **** out that thing unless you're directing or producing.

Yup. Chance are you will never get to write on it again. They will bring in multiple writers, most we won't hear about except the bigger names in the trades. The best way for a writer to maintain control on a film is if they direct it.

The only exceptions are those writers that have ties to a studio, like a lot of the Marvel ones do. They're part of that club, so everybody already knows what's being added or taken out.

Even then, the directors still have final say.

I'm tired of people pretending that there's this big backlash against Star Wars having more female leads. I keep seeing these straw men (Sawyer's signature is an example) but never a large volume of actual, real world examples.

It's a loud minority online. I don't know why someone would bother even giving these people the notoriety. Also we went through this with TFA. There's misogyny in the world. Whooaaaa! It's not worth countering these things.

I'm tired of people pretending that there's this big backlash against Star Wars having more female leads. I keep seeing these straw men (Sawyer's signature is an example) but never a large volume of actual, real world examples.

Agreed with every point.

It's the same thing as the racist for Finn with TFA. Just ignore them. I mean they're either 1) trolls 2) idiots. Keep it moving.

It's a loud minority online. I don't know why someone would bother even giving these people the notoriety. Also we went through this with TFA. There's misogyny in the world. Whooaaaa! It's not worth countering these things.

Thank you Jones. Those are exactly my thoughts.

Don't give these people the attention.

I do like that Star Wars is putting more genders and races into lead roles and I hope other film franchises do it too. But I do hope, which they will, move into different races of women if/when they are cast in the lead. I know Gina Rodriguez was up for a role in Episode 8. Don't know what happened with that.
Im still majorily pissed that they got Lupita Nyongo and she's just playing that CGI character. Lupita is a good enough actress to be able to lead a spin off

Last edited:
Agreed with every point.

It's the same thing as the racist for Finn with TFA. Just ignore them. I mean they're either 1) trolls 2) idiots. Keep it moving.

I do like that Star Wars is putting more genders and races into lead roles and I hope other film franchises do it too. But I do hope, which they will, move into different races of women if/when they are cast in the lead. I know Gina Rodriguez was up for a role in Episode 8. Don't know what happened with that.
Im still majorily pissed that they got Lupita Nyongo and she's just playing that CGI character. Lupita is a good enough actress to be able to lead a spin off
Agreed, I would have much rather seen her play a live action character than a CGI creature.

Yeah it's pretty dumb

The thing is these people retreat to spouting their **** online because they know in real life if they said these things, they'd be met with hostility (rightfully so) so they cowardly project to a faceless group and they get off on instigation so when people complain, it makes them worse.

The thing is these people retreat to spouting their **** online because they know in real life if they said these things, they'd be met with hostility (rightfully so) so they cowardly project to a faceless group and they get off on instigation so when people complain, it makes them worse.

"Telephone tough guys" are a dime a dozen online. Perks of anonymity.

Such as it is, I'm in the same boat as you (and others in this thread). While I'm fully aware these people exist, I don't make a habit of frequenting anywhere where they might be. It's out there, but I never see it firsthand, and that's the way I'd like to keep it.

-Im a fan of the X-Men and I've liked a good portion of the movies. I dont even think X-Men 3 is not that bad. It's not great or even good but I dont it ranks among the worst CBMs like some people put it as.
But I'm just not that hyped for X-Men: Apocalypse. I dont know why. I like Apocalyspe as a character and I like how much bigger the scale seems. But I just havent been moved by any of the trailers. I'll still see it of course, but idk.
I definitely don't think theyve done a good job advertising the young versions of Cyclops, Storm (my 2nd favorite X-Man), etc.

I'm not hyped for Apocalypse either. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores all the Singer films. The trailers have just done nothing for me apart from a few cool things. What I've liked about these films is that they've never really been a "save the world" type of plot like most blockbusters now. But now this is just that. Hopefully they do something clever with all of that and with Singer's track record, I'm not ruling out the chance that this will be good, but I'm concerned about it, given the quality of the trailers.

Well, we've all been hankering for Apocalypse to be brought to the live action venue for years, so hey. And his plots have always been take over the world.

Agreed with every point.

Don't say that on the Star Wars boards or else you'll get hammered with haughty comments about how you're completely wrong and everything decision JJ Abrams and the Star Wars producers have made is 100% perfect and anyone who says otherwise is a prole who simply can't comprehend their genius.

Seriously though, I agree 100%. They had one of the most talented and beautiful actresses at their disposal, and... they turned her into f***ing Rango. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Maz character, but let's be honest here. Any capable actress could have played that part, and honestly, it was probably better suited to an older actress, given that Maz is supposed to be ancient. Lupita could have been used in a much better way.

I'm not hyped for Apocalypse either. And this is coming from someone who absolutely adores all the Singer films. The trailers have just done nothing for me apart from a few cool things. What I've liked about these films is that they've never really been a "save the world" type of plot like most blockbusters now. But now this is just that. Hopefully they do something clever with all of that and with Singer's track record, I'm not ruling out the chance that this will be good, but I'm concerned about it, given the quality of the trailers.

Well X2 was kinda a "save the world" type movie at least for a minute in the final act.
I still think Apocalypse will be good but Im just not hype like I am for Civil War or really any other movie.

The summer movie season this year is kinda lacking. All the movies I'm really looking forward to will have come out by end of June.

I personally think the X-Men series needs a jolt. I know DeadPool came out. I loved it. Everone loved it, but idk.
Don't say that on the Star Wars boards or else you'll get hammered with haughty comments about how you're completely wrong and everything decision JJ Abrams and the Star Wars producers have made is 100% perfect and anyone who says otherwise is a prole who simply can't comprehend their genius.

Seriously though, I agree 100%. They had one of the most talented and beautiful actresses at their disposal, and... they turned her into f***ing Rango. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the Maz character, but let's be honest here. Any capable actress could have played that part, and honestly, it was probably better suited to an older actress, given that Maz is supposed to be ancient. Lupita could have been used in a much better way.
Yeah... I liked TFA but I had my problems with it. I thought the last 20 or so mins had some "lameness" in it especially regarding Finn and Rey.
But when I started seeing people throw around the sexist label...I just had to nope outta talking about TFA.
Still enjoyed it very much. Damn near loved it. Only saw it once, but I will pick it up on Blu Ray. However, it did have it's problems as all films do

Back to Lupita, yeah I have no idea what JJ was thinking. Once the credits rolled up and my friend saw Lupita's name he was so confused. I had to explain that she was Maz and the only reason I knew that was because I saw that in a magazine.
Good news about that is, I suppose they can intro her as another character as someone else.
But yeah. I don't know why get a talented Oscar winning actress and then cast her as Maz. Maybe in Ep. 8 I'll change my tune but as for right now I dont really like it.
Lupita's whole career since 12 Years a Slave hasn't been that good. I mean it's not bad. I know she does Broadway. I dont know if that's by choice or because they aren't offering her good roles. But she's been in good movies. TFA and The Jungle Book...both as voice acting roles

Yeah... I liked TFA but I had my problems with it. I thought the last 20 or so mins had some "lameness" in it especially regarding Finn and Rey.
But when I started seeing people throw around the sexist label...I just had to nope outta talking about TFA.
Still enjoyed it very much. Damn near loved it. Only saw it once, but I will pick it up on Blu Ray. However, it did have it's problems as all films do

Back to Lupita, yeah I have no idea what JJ was thinking. Once the credits rolled up and my friend saw Lupita's name he was so confused. I had to explain that she was Maz and the only reason I knew that was because I saw that in a magazine.
Good news about that is, I suppose they can intro her as another character as someone else.
But yeah. I don't know why get a talented Oscar winning actress and then cast her as Maz. Maybe in Ep. 8 I'll change my tune but as for right now I dont really like it.
Lupita's whole career since 12 Years a Slave hasn't been that good. I mean it's not bad. I know she does Broadway. I dont know if that's by choice or because they aren't offering her good roles. But she's been in good movies. TFA and The Jungle Book...both as voice acting roles

Yeah, I loved TFA but I'll admit there are quite a few things that could have been better. The whole Starkiller weapon really makes no sense at all (how do people on the surface of the planet survive when you suck up the power of the nearest star?). And if you read the visual effects designer's comments on it, it only reveals more plot holes (Planets are mobile now; as in, they can move into different star systems?!).

And yeah, it's a bit frustrating that Lupita hasn't landed some better roles since 12 Years a Slave. Abrams had the chance to cast her in a much more meaningful role. I have no idea why he used her for Maz.

All she's doing is voice roles and Sesame Street. Something is just weird about that whole situation. I figured she'd be like a younger Viola Davis or whatever role wise.

Well X2 was kinda a "save the world" type movie at least for a minute in the final act.
I still think Apocalypse will be good but Im just not hype like I am for Civil War or really any other movie.

The summer movie season this year is kinda lacking. All the movies I'm really looking forward to will have come out by end of June.

I personally think the X-Men series needs a jolt. I know DeadPool came out. I loved it. Everone loved it, but idk.

True, but at least it wasn't mass destruction level of save the world which is pretty in right now.

Depending on how it's received, I do think Apocalypse could very well underperform, especially with the competition in May. Especially how those movies have always been front loaded. It's a good thing this is the closing of the new X-Men trilogy, it's good timing for them to get new blood with a director. I hope Singer's sensibilities don't feel out of touch when this movie comes around. I'm glad the costumes are colorful now. But Singer has always been about story first which is something I can't say for WB.

They'll just find some way to put Deadpool in later movies.

All she's doing is voice roles and Sesame Street. Something is just weird about that whole situation. I figured she'd be like a younger Viola Davis or whatever role wise.

well i mean, and I'm gonna be that guy, it's because she doesn't fit the mold of conventional attractiveness to many people.

It's hard enough being a black actress, but a dark black actress with natural hair? That's crazy. With Hollywood actors is either 1) youre funny (McCarthy, Rogen, etc) 2) sell sex (any IT boy/It girl) 3) or both (Chris Pratt. Hope he returns to full fledged comedy soon)

ANd I personally find Nyongo to be gorgeous and immensely talented but I don't think that Hollywood trusts that they can sell her image as an actress

Even Viola Davis after The Help wasn't doing that well by her own admission. People forget back in 08 she was nominated for that movie Doubt. But even between Doubt and The Help she didn't have that many high profile movie roles or starring TV roles.

It's hard out there man.

well i mean, and I'm gonna be that guy, it's because she doesn't fit the mold of conventional attractiveness to many people.

It's hard enough being a black actress, but a dark black actress with natural hair? That's crazy. With Hollywood actors is either 1) youre funny (McCarthy, Rogen, etc) 2) sell sex (any IT boy/It girl) 3) or both (Chris Pratt. Hope he returns to full fledged comedy soon)

ANd I personally find Nyongo to be gorgeous and immensely talented but I don't think that Hollywood trusts that they can sell her image as an actress

Even Viola Davis after The Help wasn't doing that well by her own admission. People forget back in 08 she was nominated for that movie Doubt. But even between Doubt and The Help she didn't have that many high profile movie roles or starring TV roles.

It's hard out there man.

I was gonna say the same. By Hollywood's standards, she's too dark skinned.

True, but at least it wasn't mass destruction level of save the world which is pretty in right now.

Depending on how it's received, I do think Apocalypse could very well underperform, especially with the competition in May. Especially how those movies have always been front loaded. It's a good thing this is the closing of the new X-Men trilogy, it's good timing for them to get new blood with a director. I hope Singer's sensibilities don't feel out of touch when this movie comes around. I'm glad the costumes are colorful now. But Singer has always been about story first which is something I can't say for WB.

They'll just find some way to put Deadpool in later movies.

Ive said this before and I know that people claim to hate reboots...but I think it's time for an X-Men reboot. And yes I know DOFP reset the timeline, but I'm talking new cast, directors, new team dynamics, etc. OR at the very least they need to figure out another way to inject life into this franchise. Love X2 and X-Men, but with Jackman leaving and the rumor that the FC crew are done wwith their contracts after Apocalypse I think the time is good for a reboot relatively soon after 2017.

As you said they'll find some way to put Deadpool in it. He'll make some off hand remark about reboots and keep it moving

It's hard out there man.

Agreed. It's really disappointing. I'd love to see Lupita and Danai Gurira (who wrote the play she's starring in on Broadway right now) appear as the female leads in some movies, but I doubt it will happen any time soon. Even the great Viola Davis still has trouble landing lead roles in movies. Thank God for How to Get Away with Murder. It's not a perfect show but at least it gets me a dose of Viola on a regular basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"