State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 28

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not a marketing genius, but I think it would've been cool to "dark up" Suicide Squad in funny ways (like, when Griggs and his men go to get Croc and Croc pulls some of the guards in, have him tearing into them like a real crocodile...show some limbs/organs smacking the wall by Griggs. Griggs looks at it and is like, "Rip new guy"), but keep the vibrant skull posters/mushroom cloud poster.

The posters reminded me of 70's-80's pulp SF covers, which I'm a fan of.

I didn't actually like 300 all that much. There's another opinion for the thread. I did see it in theatres and it looked gorgeous, but I wasn't into it enough for repeat viewings.

Suicide Squad was the first time I enjoyed Harley Quinn's character, not a big fan of her in the comics or cartoons, and I like how they changed the dynamics between her and the Joker making him the one running after her. Also Leto, with the little time he was given, really did a great job.

I was kinda skeptical about the changes given what I'd read about how stuff got shuffled...I'd be lying if I said I didn't enjoy the fact that Joker came across as less evil than Waller.

Suicide Squad was the first time I enjoyed Harley Quinn's character, not a big fan of her in the comics or cartoons, and I like how they changed the dynamics between her and the Joker making him the one running after her. Also Leto, with the little time he was given, really did a great job.

Ditto. I HATE Harley Quinn but she did well in the film.

I didn't actually like 300 all that much. There's another opinion for the thread. I did see it in theatres and it looked gorgeous, but I wasn't into it enough for repeat viewings.
I didn't like 300 either. MoS is the only Zack Snyder movie I've even remotely enjoyed.

I really enjoy 300 for what it is, even if it's piss poor in terms of historical accuracy. Conservatives hold it in some esteem as some propaganda piece about the superiority of the West ect., with manly men doing manly deeds, apparently ignorant of the reality of Spartan society which had vast acceptance of homosexuality and were basically fascist and totalitarian in practice.

I don't love the film, but I'm reasonably certain that's more due to the material it was based on than anything Zack did.

It does look good, though, and I'll never get on any Larry Fong hate train that happens to pop up in these parts.
300 is the gayest, non-gay movie I've ever seen.

The way God intended. :o

Really didn't like 300 either the only Snyder film I liked was Watchmen

They had a theocracy, with extremist views, whom refuse to give in utill they die to the last man... and where being invaded by a superior force, led by an all powerful leader with a God complex, looking to plunder Sparta's natural resources..... It's not quite the right wing propaganda film it's made out to be.

Honestly I love Zack Snyder, the guy just gets it in a way others don't, he's Ridley Scott formy inner 14 year old. Not saying his way is the only way, Shane Black gets it in a way Snyder doesn't, James Gunn gets it in a way Snyder nor Shane Black don't, Bryan Singer, Nolan, Del Toro, etc, etc, all get it in their own way.

300 is the gayest, non-gay movie I've ever seen.

It most definitely is, which in a world with Tango & Cash and 2 Fast 2 Furious is really saying something.

Top Gun wasn't a candidate for gayest non-gay movie. It is, however, eligible for most heterosexual gay film. :o

No, I'm pretty sure Top Gun a completely gay movie, and if it isn't I'll be severely dissapointed in all the characters.

Top Gun wasn't a candidate for gayest non-gay movie. It is, however, eligible for most heterosexual gay film. :o

I don't understand a single thing you just said.

I haven't seen the movie, but purely as an idea, the Joker does not chase after Harley Quinn. That's not who the Joker is fundamentally as a character. That means he cares about an individual or is attached to them in some way. The Joker is ready to drop Harley at a moments notice and doesn't care about her. Yet the fact Harley still keeps coming back to him is what makes it so ****ed up.

Yeah. I think that's why I've never warmed to the character of Harley. I've always seem the Joker as the type of guy who never works with ANYONE for too long because he's liable to kill you for a laugh or hang you out to dry at the drop of a hat. It's why I've also never liked the idea of the Joker and Luthor teaming up. That pairing, whenever it happens, makes no sense at all and is just done to give Batman and Superman a reason to team up.

I agree. I have never liked Harley for the same reason. Also never cared for Robin either. I like the Joker and Batman as loners who "complete" each other. But like I said even though it was too heavily edited, I enjoyed the Joker in SS and the reverse dynamics between him and Harley, which gave the couple a kind of deranged Bonnie and Clyde vibe, I hope they explore that more in the future, as opposed to the problematic and one note sado/maso relationship they share in the comics and cartoons.

Yeah, I have mixed feelings about Robin; I think at times the character really works but other times I wish they left him out altogether and left Batman as a cantankerous loner whose only companionship comes from Alfred and the few women with whom he's able to have real relationships with (Selina and Talia, mostly).

Batman needs Robin. You do him right, and he's been done right a lot, he's a necessary next step in Bruce's growth as a human being and it departs from him being just a lonely man all his life. The Bat family is great character development for him from going to this obsessive near nut case to being more open and letting people into his life and sharing his abilities and passing them on. He couldn't keep the loner act up for the rest of his career, otherwise he would have fallen off the edge. Robin is there to keep him from it. Robin is out there in the field with him where all this ****ed up **** happens and can do things Alfred or his other relationships cannot fulfill as much because they're different dynamics and don't speak to certain aspects of Bruce Wayne's personhood as someone who cares and wants to help people.

Just his sunnier and more out going demeanor is exactly what Batman needs. Taking in Dick was a deliberate choice by Bruce and shows his good nature and something he really needed too, whether he knew it or not at first. It takes Bruce out of from just being about him and grounds him and gives him more perspective. I like a Bruce Wayne who has his **** together. Not fixed, but coping and functioning well instead of remaining the same. The man doesn't always need to be waking up from nightmares in a cold sweat for the rest of his life.

Last edited:
Batman needs Robin. You do him right, and he's been done right a lot, he's a necessary next step in Bruce's growth as a human being and it departs from him being just a lonely man all his life. The Bat family is great character development for him from going to this obsessive near nut case to being more open and letting people into his life and sharing his abilities and passing them on. He couldn't keep the loner act up for the rest of his career, otherwise he would have fallen off the edge. Robin is there to keep him from it. Robin is out there in the field with him where all this ****ed up **** happens and can do things Alfred or his other relationships cannot fulfill as much because they're different dynamics and don't speak to certain aspects of Bruce Wayne's personhood as someone who cares and wants to help people.

Just his sunnier and more out going demeanor is exactly what Batman needs. Taking in Dick was a deliberate choice by Bruce and shows his good nature and something he really needed too, whether he knew it or not at first. It takes Bruce out of from just being about him and grounds him and gives him more perspective. I like a Bruce Wayne who has his **** together. Not fixed, but coping and functioning well instead of remaining the same. The man doesn't always need to be waking up from nightmares in a cold sweat for the rest of his life.

Well, when you put it that way... :sly:

I see The Joker more as a smoker or a midnight toker.

Everyone talks about BvS and SS being poor movies, but I think X-Men Apocalypse is the worst SH movie released this year so far. Just a terrible, terrible movie
-I have no interest in a Harley Quinn movie and I don't think it'll work. Same goes for a Joker movie (even in some alternate timeline where Ledger didn't die). Same goes for a Joker & Harley team up movie. Same goes for a Loki movie. Same goes for a Black Widow movie.

X-Men Apocalypse was a bizarrely weak offering coming off the heels of DOFP. Still thoroughly more disappointed by BVS, but yeah, I don't know why they made the choices they made.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"