State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 29

Status
Not open for further replies.
My biggest impression of that one was how much Ella Purnell took after Eva Green.

Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter was a very well made movie.

Benjamin Walker really does not get enough credit for playing that role as straight as he did.

Always Sunny's next episode should be called "The gang runs out of ideas."

No, it should be called A Necessary Evil: A Necessary Evil.

Am I wrong though? :O

Oh, I also think Green Lantern is better than any DCEU movie.

These are strong challenging words.
It's an average movie, certainly better than being terrible, but I enjoy it less than Suicide Squad or Man of Steel.

I honestly think Helmut Zemo is the best villain the MCU has had so far. Granted the competition isn't too fierce, but I found the character more interesting than any of the other bad guys, including Loki. Perhaps this isn't too much of an Unpopular Opinion, I'm not entirely sure, I just recall a lot of talk about Zemo being "just some guy" shortly after the release of Captain America Civil War (no doubt from people who weren't paying attention to the dialogue).

Part of it has to do with the MCU obviously laying the groundwork for Thunderbotls, but on top of that I found Zemo to be equal parts calculating and sympathetic. I also really like that he sort of won. I guess it'll be a while, but I'm excited to see him show up again.

I honestly think Helmut Zemo is the best villain the MCU has had so far. Granted the competition isn't too fierce, but I found the character more interesting than any of the other bad guys, including Loki. Perhaps this isn't too much of an Unpopular Opinion, I'm not entirely sure, I just recall a lot of talk about Zemo being "just some guy" shortly after the release of Captain America Civil War (no doubt from people who weren't paying attention to the dialogue).

Part of it has to do with the MCU obviously laying the groundwork for Thunderbotls, but on top of that I found Zemo to be equal parts calculating and sympathetic. I also really like that he sort of won. I guess it'll be a while, but I'm excited to see him show up again.

I agree that Zemo was a great villain - although I still think Loki's the best villain, Zemo is a very different kind of villain, and probably a much more interesting (and less stereotypical) villain than Loki.

Okay, my unpopular opinion......the original version of Blade Runner, with the voiceover is the best, in fact the voiceover actually makes the movie waaayyyy better.

Though I certainly admire the creativity and direction behind them, I found both Hellboy films to be kind of dull. I definitely never had the desire to watch either one a second time.

I bring it up because I saw this thread, announcing the news that a third Hellboy film won't be happening -and my immediate thought upon read the thread title was "Oh well."

The Revenant is boring, self-indulgent rubbish.

The Godfather Part III and Alien³ are the best threequels ever made.

Friday the 13th: A New Beginning is the best film in the franchise.

Showgirls is a legitimately great black comedy.

A Serbian Film is a masterpiece.

Exorcist II: The Heretic is, for all its flaws, still an interesting sequel with some original concepts and a gorgeous score.

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010) is better than the majority of the sequels.

Agreed. Zemo being a "normal man" is exactly why he was so compelling. The core conflict in the film was very personal; it required an intimate kind of villain. Small-scale masqueraded as large-scale.

Though I certainly admire the creativity and direction behind them, I found both Hellboy films to be kind of dull. I definitely never had the desire to watch either one a second time.

I bring it up because I saw this thread, announcing the news that a third Hellboy film won't be happening -and my immediate thought upon read the thread title was "Oh well."
I'm yet to watch either one of them, and at this point a third movies sounded like an impossibility at least three years before today.

Could be the pace. All the Hellboy flicks, including the animated ones, have a slower pace to them (products of their time, how the comic material is, or even just how GDT directs). OR you might be that guy who notes GDT's blockbusters have pretty generic character writing.

Yea, Zemo is probably the best MCU villain and was much better than Loki, IMO. I had high hopes for Kaecilius but he was severely underwritten. :csad:

I thought Kaecillius was pretty decent. Superbly acted by Mads. He didn't have a lot of screen time but when he was there he had a strong presence. And his villainy was believable. He was human, not just a moustache twirling giant ham. I could buy that he felt wronged by the Ancient One. I could buy that his character believed in what he was doing, even if he was misguided. There was a conviction to him.

But what I liked about Doctor Strange was how it told the heroes origin, but also Mordo's descent into eventual villainy. Mordo's characterisation was just as strong as Strange's. Again, he was a believable human and you could totally understand why he turned away from the Ancient One's path.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"