State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 31

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's The Emoji Movie done right version tbh.

Not an MCU hater by any means, but Civil War and Infinity War were the only good movies of Phase 3 IMO.

Loved the first Guardians of the Galaxy, but I thought Vol. 2 was a watered down sequel, with a worse villain, worse comedy and added new characters that weren't good.

Thor: Ragnarok was a big disappointment for me. Partially my own fault because I was hoping when they announced the title was going to be "Ragnarok" that it was going to be a more serious take on Thor, which I have been hoping for since the 1st Thor movie. Instead it was a straight action comedy (which I did know before seeing the movie), that wasn't funny at all outside of a line or two. A couple cool action scenes but otherwise forgettable.

Spider-Man: Homecoming. Once again, partially my own fault because I have never and will never be interested in teen movies of any kind. This movie was never going to be "for me", since I wanted a Spider-Man movie, not a Spider-Boy movie. It's a solid movie overall, certainly not bad by any means, but overall it was pretty paint by the numbers young superhero fare.

Black Panther was awful IMO. Didn't make it to the end of the movie. Incredibly boring story, terrible villain (I will never understand what people see in Michael B. Jordan, he's just not a good actor IMO). None of the characters were interesting, none of the action was particularly good, nothing kept my attention and I lost interest half way thru, tried to finish but just skipped the last 20 minutes or so.

Dr. Strange, also a boring story, with boring characters and possibly the cheesiest defeat of a villain ever. Some good visuals but terrible villains, not sure why Dormannu isn't viewed in a similar vein as Parralax from the Green Lantern movie, they're basically the same.

Civil War and Infinity War are both very, very good movies, but these other Phase 3 movies are bottom of the MCU barrel to me, down there with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

Last edited:
Not an MCU hater by any means, but Civil War and Infinity War were the only good movies of Phase 3 IMO.

Loved the first Guardians of the Galaxy, but I thought Vol. 2 was a watered down sequel, with a worse villain, worse comedy and added new characters that weren't good.

Thor: Ragnarok was a big disappointment for me. Partially my own fault because I was hoping when they announced the title was going to be "Ragnarok" that it was going to be a more serious take on Thor, which I have been hoping for since the 1st Thor movie. Instead it was a straight action comedy, that wasn't funny at all outside of a line or two. A couple cool action scenes but otherwise forgettable.

Spider-Man: Homecoming. Once again, partially my own fault because I have never and will never be interested in teen movies of any kind. This movie was never going to be "for me", since I wanted a Spider-Man movie, not a Spider-Boy movie. It's a solid movie overall, certainly not bad by any means, but overall it was pretty paint by the numbers young superhero fare.

Black Panther was awful IMO. Didn't make it to the end of the movie. Incredibly boring story, terrible villain (I will never understand what people see in Michael B. Jordan, he's just not a good actor IMO). None of the characters were interesting, none of the action was particularly good, nothing kept my attention and I lost interest half way thru, tried to finish but just skipped the last 20 minutes or so.

Dr. Strange, also a boring story, with boring characters and possibly the cheesiest defeat of a villain ever. Some good visuals but terrible villains, not sure why Dormannu isn't viewed in a similar vein as Parralax from the Green Lantern movie, they're basically the same.

Civil War and Infinity War are both very, very good movies, but these other Phase 3 movies are bottom of the MCU barrel to me, down there with Iron Man 3 and Thor 2.

I agree with you on Guardians 2 and Ragnarok.

Thor: Ragnarok was a big disappointment for me. Partially my own fault because I was hoping when they announced the title was going to be "Ragnarok" that it was going to be a more serious take on Thor, which I have been hoping for since the 1st Thor movie. Instead it was a straight action comedy, that wasn't funny at all outside of a line or two. A couple cool action scenes but otherwise forgettable.

I agree with you too, except for BP, that I really liked, including Killmonger whom I thought was a great villain and performance.

It's Steven Universe. :hehe:
I'm aware of that show. :yay:
And joke worked. :up:

The Wreck-It-Ralph sequel looks like the Emoji movie. I have zero interest in watching that.
That, actually sounds right. I still want to watch it though, mostly cause I really love the first movie.

This tops unpopular MCU and CBM opinions in general, might be even less popular than saying TDK is a terrible movie.

Solo is my favorite of these new SW films and the only one I'll really give any positive thought to in the future.

Phase 3, for the most part, was "to watch and forget" for me. And Black Panther is in the bottom of the list.

Phase 3, for the most part, was "to watch and forget" for me. And Black Panther is in the bottom of the list.

I don't think this is an unpopular one.

Most of MCU's movies, though fantastic ones, are pure entertaining and not much there to think about. There is no risk and outstanding feature there.

The top CBMs always have something different that make them special. SpiderMan 2 has heart. The Dark Knight has acting and script. The Avengers is the first ensemble movie ever. Iron Man is the landmark, the standard of any MCU's movie. Black Panther has the art direction and atmosphere.

^Black Panther has blacks. :o

On a serious note, Black Panther was the most dull, boring and absurd film of Phase 3. Least liked film for me. Ragnarok didn't work for me at all and I didn't like what they did to my boy Banner. Doctor Strange is forgettable as hell. Infinity War is giant-budget cameo-fest. Vol. 2 separates Guardians and sits on it's ass for majority of the film till big action happens. Civil War was interesting, but with some flaws and contrivances, and for me it's the best film of the phase. Homecoming's drama felt unearned simetimes, but it's a surprisingly rewatchable film, IMO. Both Keaton and Holland were really nice in their roles, plus Ned.

Jurassic Park is within my Top 3 favourite movies of all time, but I don't feel any excitement at all to watch Fallen Kingdom. The movie magic and slow-reveal horror of the original film is long gone.

Jurassic Park is within my Top 3 favourite movies of all time, but I don't feel any excitement at all to watch Fallen Kingdom. The movie magic and slow-reveal horror of the original film is long gone.

I have a feeling the movie could underperform. The last film was a huge success because it was so highly anticipated for years and had the build-up of the first movie. And afterwards I feel like everyone got what they needed and didn't really need another one. Plus, I'm just not feeling the hype for it like the last one.

Love JP

Don't care that the movie magic and slow reveal horror is gone. Just from a storytelling level Fallen Kingdom isn't driving me to the theater. I liked JW, but as I was walking out of the theater I thought: "I doubt I'll be in the mood to watch it again" and that's been true. I have had no desire to watch it or any scene of it again. FK doesn't do it for me either.

I said after JW that I don't see where this franchise can go. I really don't they've tackled every angle except for military dinosaurs which I think would be stupid. Not even because of the quality of films, they should end the franchise.

JW is absolutely terrible. It's so boring and pointless. It made me reluctant to watch Jurassic Park.

I have a feeling the movie could underperform. The last film was a huge success because it was so highly anticipated for years and had the build-up of the first movie. And afterwards I feel like everyone got what they needed and didn't really need another one. Plus, I'm just not feeling the hype for it like the last one.

Yeah, and this year is overloaded with action blockbusters. Even Solo had no space to breathe

Love JP

Don't care that the movie magic and slow reveal horror is gone. Just from a storytelling level Fallen Kingdom isn't driving me to the theater. I liked JW, but as I was walking out of the theater I thought: "I doubt I'll be in the mood to watch it again" and that's been true. I have had no desire to watch it or any scene of it again. FK doesn't do it for me either.

I said after JW that I don't see where this franchise can go. I really don't they've tackled every angle except for military dinosaurs which I think would be stupid. Not even because of the quality of films, they should end the franchise.

Yeah the story is repeating the same thing over and over again. They need new dinosaurs or just a new type of plot

I enjoy dinosaurs like the next guy, but I don't think there has ever been a great Jurassic Park film. I loved the 1st one back in the day mostly for the special effects, and all of them have bravura moments, but maybe it's not as good as Jaws or Raiders etc...

Last edited:
This tops unpopular MCU and CBM opinions in general, might be even less popular than saying TDK is a terrible movie.

Nope, my most unpopular opinion is still probably that I think Spider-Man 2 is the most overrated CBM ever.

, but maybe it's not as good as Jaws or Raiders etc...

I actually really like Jaws but can't stand Raiders, mainly because of the extremely cheesy acting. The fight scene also feels like a cartoon, very cheesy, the acting is cheesy and there are many silly plot details.

I actually really like Jaws but can't stand Raiders, mainly because of the extremely cheesy acting. The fight scene also feels like a cartoon, very cheesy, the acting is cheesy and there are many silly plot details.

I'm French, I like cheese:woot: More seriously, I haven't revisited it in a long time and I don't know how it holds up but since it is inspired by serials of the past, it's going to have a bit of that silliness or more cartoonish vibe inherent to the genre maybe.

Even if you don't like the film overall, Raiders still has the best scene in any Indy movie:

[YT]anEuw8F8cpE[/YT]

The story behind that scene makes it even better.

The first fight wasn't cheesy at all. The fight in the marketplace is SUPPOSED to be, to juxtopose against the "tragedy" that occurs later.

The airport fight has cheesy bits (wrench man lol), but gets brutal near the end.

The truck chase was over-the-top, but appropriate for a climax.

And the punches are silly, but they're supposed to be bigger than life, and are like that the whole movie, especially Temple of Doom.

Nope, my most unpopular opinion is still probably that I think Spider-Man 2 is the most overrated CBM ever.

Maybe in 2004

But now, the two superhero movies that get all the hype are Dark Knight and Avengers..Logan and Black Panther also went through a fair amount of hype, but it seemed to com and go.

As much as I like Spider-Man 2, the Incredibles has overshadowed it.

If you were to ask average people their top superhero movies, it'd probably go something like this. The Dark Knight-The Avengers-The Incredibles-and maybe the first Iron Man.

Raimi's Trilogy has kind of faded with time.

Now with the Dark Knight, it's an exceptional modern blockbuster.

But I don't think it's a triumph of world cinema that should be placed along
the Godfather parts I+II, Seven Samurai, Lawrence of Arabia, Bicycle Thieves, Empire Strikes Back, Once upon A Time in the West, The Lord of the Rings movies, or a Frank Capra drama-Mr Deeds/Smith/Wonderful Life/John Doe-etc. To say nothing about the animated masterpieces Fantasia and The Lion King, and the heroic deconstruction of the 1950s Sci-Fi genre with WB's Iron Giant. And this is without the Studio Ghibli films.

However, for a high amount of folks, this is the best movie they think they will ever see.

And I honestly don't know what to say. Because whatever is in TDK, it has enough of an appeal to modernity in film to work on a lowbrow level and enough intelligence to mostly work on a highbrow level.

Shawshank has been accused of being overrated, but the film reinforces the values of fighting for your dreams over a lifetime of difficulty, with a magnificent payoff.

The Dark Knight seems to suggest that no matter how you try, you can't really win, just survive, as revealed by the fact that Batman is forced to do the one thing he hates.

I've defended Spider-Man 2 in the past, not going to do it again here. But Spider-Man 2 was always considered to be the best superhero movie before TDK came out, not transcendent of its genre.

The Dark Knight is considered by many people in the general audience to be the best movie ever made. And that is unfortunate, to me..Because unless a film is big and loud, deep and sinister, I doubt it's gonna make the same impact.

Bicycle Thieves doesn't scream it you. It doesn't preach a sermon. It just shows the commitment between a father and son, and uses a tragic incident to bring those characters together. It's a simple movie, and a devastating one.

Now obviously, the world has room for both. But maybe for every Dark Knight and Logan, there should be a Shawshank and Lion King.

But that was a sermon. Not a defense of Spider-Man 2. Whoops :p

I don't really think a film needs a proper "deep meaning" to be considered one of the best ever made. Mad Max: Fury Road is a 2-hour movie about racing cars and it's one of the best action flicks of all time.

The Dark Knight does have a clear message, though.

I don't really think a film needs a proper "deep meaning" to be considered one of the best ever made. Mad Max: Fury Road is a 2-hour movie about racing cars and it's one of the best action flicks of all time.

The Dark Knight does have a clear message, though.

I was actually agreeing with you, hence the mention of Bicycle Thieves.

The moral of that film is probably "life sucks" but because it uses its time effectively, I'd say it still counts as one of the best.

Dark Knight is probably the best "dramatic" superhero movie out there..but it's been more inflated than the Stay-Puft Marshmellow-Man on steroids.

Reddit's BEST film of all time? The top movie on twitter?

I wouldn't have minded if TDK got best picture. But...socially ranked higher than Lord of the Rings and the Godfather? Seriously?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"