State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

American Beauty was just kind of Meh.
Cloverfield made me really sick of New York Hipsters.
Ben Afflec ended up being a pretty good Batman.

SM2 just might be THE most overrated superhero movie ever made.

giphy.gif

Katniss Everdeen was about as unemotional and cringe worthy as Bella Swan in both print and film.

Ben Affleck ended up being a pretty good Batman.
I still think he's suitable for the character, but he needed better material to work with.
"This is not the plan"
"I don't need to know the world, I need to save it"

Yuck.

I wouldn’t consider that movie overrated. I love it, but a LOT of people don’t.
I see it getting a lot of love on these message boards as one of the finest CBMs, when it's full of crap like penguins unlocking a cage of baby Penguin, how easy it is for them to escape the zoo, and how Catwoman worked with the guy publicly endorsed by the arthole who killed her to kill the guy who saved her life from one of his goons.

Katniss Everdeen was about as unemotional and cringe worthy as Bella Swan in both print and film.
I still don't want to watch any Twilight crap, that is all I can say.

I see it getting a lot of love on these message boards as one of the finest CBMs, when it's full of crap like penguins unlocking a cage of baby Penguin, how easy it is for them to escape the zoo, and how Catwoman worked with the guy publicly endorsed by the arthole who killed her to kill the guy who saved her life from one of his goons.

I’ve seen a spectrum of reactions. I’d say it has a mixed-to-positive reception. Probably a 60/40 split.

You're trying to hard, your hate for baby penguins has defeated you. Why would Catwoman care if Penguin is endorsed by Shreck? She wants revenge on Shreck and Batman is in her way.

I think the comedy and jokes in some CBM like Thor and other films are lame, it's like watching a bad Adam Sandler film, forced, childish, cliche and lame :o

Not a fan of John Wick. Saw the first one and couldn't get into it. One guy shooting hundreds just doesn't do it for me. Plus found Reeves boring. Equalizer for me.

Reactions: CJ
You're trying too hard, your hate for baby penguins has defeated you. Why would Catwoman care if Penguin is endorsed by Shreck? She wants revenge on Shreck and Batman is in her way.
Nah, I'm not trying too hard, you're going too easy on that movie. Baby Penguin is just the tip of the iceberg of how awkward and bizarre that movie is when it comes to poor storytelling.

Batman wasn't in Catwoman's way once, not even that one time he followed her to see what's her case, she just kicked him, and once he relaxed his guard with her she stabbed his stomach.

When it comes to Penguin and Schreck she didn't know the former blackmailed her boss, she sat there on the bed of the guy publicly endorsed by her killer out of the blue, while the troublemakers which one of them held her by the neck were standing there, and she didn't find that one bit fishy.

This is not trying too hard, this is simply poor storytelling and motivations.

Nah, I'm not trying too hard, you're going too easy on that movie. Baby Penguin is just the tip of the iceberg of how awkward and bizarre that movie is when it comes to poor storytelling.
Poor storytelling - it can be said about any 80s-90s live action Batman. Storytelling and character works in Batman films were sketchy and pun-driven right till Nolan. Granted, we didn't have anything else at the time. Bizarre and awkward - I agree. And I never praised the film for it's storytelling. Batman Returns is a great set piece, with wonderful music, great visuals and electric performances.
Batman wasn't in Catwoman's way once, not even that one time he followed her to see what's her case, she just kicked him, and once he relaxed his guard with her she stabbed his stomach.
She blew up a store right in front of his eyes. He chased her. And while he certainly didn't initiate the fight, Selina at that moment in the story is this unhinged thorny persona, so it escalated pretty quickly.
When it comes to Penguin and Schreck she didn't know the former blackmailed her boss, she sat there on the bed of the guy publicly endorsed by her killer out of the blue, while the troublemakers which one of them held her by the neck were standing there, and she didn't find that one bit fishy.
Not necessarily out of the blue. She probably connected pieces: the clown gang works for Penguin -> Batman opposes Penguin -> Penguin can be an ally. For the sake of successful cooperation it's not out of the realm of possibility she was willing to forgive clowns attacking her. Fleshing all that stuff wouldn't hurt, but it's not that big of a deal, imo. It's like complaining about TDKR not showing how Bruce returned to Gotham. Or how the Joker stuffed the hospital with explosives.

Poor storytelling - it can be said about any 80s-90s live action Batman. Storytelling and character works in Batman films were sketchy and pun-driven right till Nolan.
The first one is pretty good even with all its kinks, it makes it all the more disappointing that Batman Returns plummeted down so hard coming from the same writer(s).

At least you're aware that BR is not good.

For me, Batman Returns is the 2nd best live action Batman movie. Not even close IMO.

I find Batman Returns highly enjoyable and enchanting. But I'm also a bit biased because it's my childhood and the first CBM.

Returns might have been my first as well.
I don't get what the hoopla is over it being worse than Batman '89 given this sequel is clearly the more iconic one.

I don't get what the hoopla is over it being worse than Batman '89 given this sequel is clearly the more iconic one.
More iconic does not immediately translate to better. Batman & Robin is more iconic than Batman Forever, but the newer one is reputed to be the worse of the two.

I haven't seen the new Tomb Raider, but Mortal Kombat is awesome! Dumb plot and script? Yes. But I don't care, it's amazing!!!!

The last Tomb Raider got boring once Lara's father got into the picture, it was fairly entertaining before that.

That comment feels awkward now that I changed the movie names I listed above. :hehe:

The last Tomb Raider got boring once Lara's father got into the picture, it was fairly entertaining before that.

That comment feels awkward now that I changed the movie names I listed above. :hehe:

Now you're making me look foolish!!! :cmad:

:csad:

More iconic does not immediately translate to better. Batman & Robin is more iconic than Batman Forever, but the newer one is reputed to be the worse of the two.
Batman & Robin is still little less than the toy commercial they set out to make.
Returns is definitely an upgrade to its predecessor. I'll go even as far as saying it's probably the best superhero sequel of the 2oth century.

Batman & Robin is still little less than the toy commercial they set out to make.
Returns is definitely an upgrade to its predecessor. I'll go even as far as saying it's probably the best superhero sequel of the 2oth century.

Superman II ?

Superman II is the best superhero sequel of the last century. And you shouldn't laugh at Zod, he's pretty threatening and serious.

Batman Returns has a very rushed and superficial romance compared to the first, that is for starters.
Penguin lives in the sewers that are part of the Zoo river and has a lot of access to henchmen, technology, knowledge of all kinds, tape, toxic waste, etc etc....
Having the batmobile schematics makes zero sense, and Batman punching through the reinforced bottom breaking it makes even less sense.
Why did Gordon decide to flash the signal instead of calling more cops early in the movie? And how does Batman know where to go?
Penguin's move by remote control?
Waterproof technology, and a giant duck elevator that goes up and fully appears out of a small manhole.
Max Schreck telling his son that he tossed Selina out of the window to call her is ridiculous and unnecessary.
Chip Schreck is almost completely useless and superfluous.
Catwoman's origin is sooooo dumb, even before inspiring that trash Catwoman movie from 2004.
Why did Batman stare at one victim for long while he was saving civilians and property?
Bulletproof vest can be pierced by that small cheap custom added claw.
All those effing umbrellas and the gadgets they contain, and they are owned by some vagrant in the sewers.

And more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"