State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

I keep wondering what makes Darth Vader eligible to be considered as one of the top cinematic villains, most of what he does is walk around and sound awesome thanks to James Earl Jones providing his voice and those respirator effects.

Death of Obi Wan is that old man chose to stop fighting and allowed his former apprentice to kill him.
I'm not gonna lie, I see your point and wonder that too sometimes. Vader has an awesome presence, but Obi-Wan was more of an assisted suicide and the only real "good guys" Vader kills in A New Hope besides that are the captain of the ship in the beginning and a few Rebel pilots in the Death Star battle. After that? Literally everyone else Vader kills in the original trilogy is a bad guy. He chokes out a few of his own men in Empire and then in Return of the Jedi he kills his own master, THE big bad of the galaxy. Now granted, he did do some messed up stuff like torture his daughter (even though he didn't know it, it doesn't make that any less bad) and cut off his own son's hand. But the Death Star blowing up Alderaan? That was all Tarkin.

Now, I'm not saying that Vader isn't a great villain. I have loved the character since I first saw him. But strictly speaking in terms of the original trilogy (not counting Revenge of the Sith or Rogue One), Palpatine is the real major villain since it's Vader's redemption story. Recently there was that thread that questioned whether or not Thanos was more iconic than Vader. I think it's far too early to even argue that, but people were up in arms about it anyway. "How DARE you even compare Thanos to Vader?" The question of being iconic aside, I think Thanos
wiping out half of all life in the universe, regardless of whether it becomes undone in Avengers 4,
is a pretty big deal. Even Vader didn't go there. Vader is awesome looking and probably the most memorable villain of all time because of his overall presence, but in terms of sheer evil doing, there have been villains in film who have done a lot worse.

Now, I'm not saying that Vader isn't a great villain. I have loved the character since I first saw him. But strictly speaking in terms of the original trilogy (not counting Revenge of the Sith or Rogue One), Palpatine is the real major villain since it's Vader's redemption story. Recently there was that thread that questioned whether or not Thanos was more iconic than Vader. I think it's far too early to even argue that, but people were up in arms about it anyway. "How DARE you even compare Thanos to Vader?" The question of being iconic aside, I think Thanos
wiping out half of all life in the universe, regardless of whether it becomes undone in Avengers 4,
is a pretty big deal. Even Vader didn't go there. Vader is awesome looking and probably the most memorable villain of all time because of his overall presence, but in terms of sheer evil doing, there have been villains in film who have done a lot worse.
That thread is what made me question Vader's status in the eyes of the audience more than anything else. As a character I find him somewhat interesting.

The fact that still.. after 40 years, Vader is the Villian bench mark...

That tells you everything you need to know!

Solo is the best Disney Wars film.

I agree! And I say that as someone who liked all of the new SW films. But I just had more fun watching Solo than all the rest and I'm sad that it won't get a sequel.

I agree! And I say that as someone who liked all of the new SW films. But I just had more fun watching Solo than all the rest and I'm sad that it won't get a sequel.
For me it's probably because it had the least off-putting material. There are moments of bad writing and the story contradicts Han's arc in OT (maybe because it was meant to be series, not a single film), but I enjoyed the ride and the main cast was likable. And the film looked great too.

I was very entertained by Solo. I don't think is the best SW movie, however I do think it does a better job than Rogue One and The Last Jedi in expanding the universe.
There's a shot of the actor, right near the end, where he does like a face and it was like if Harrison Ford possessed his body for a second.

The fact that still.. after 40 years, Vader is the Villian bench mark...

That tells you everything you need to know!
How does it tell me all I need to know when it's the exact thing I question?

This kinda spans a view of games into movies, but the storyline & character presentation in the new PS4 Spider-Man game is an equal of the Raimi classics.

This kinda spans a view of games into movies, but the storyline & character presentation in the new PS4 Spider-Man game is an equal of the Raimi classics.

TBH, I think it's got a better story and characterization than any previous Spider-Man movie.

I thought if I said the story & characterisation was better than Raimi's (which in certain areas it does exceed), I'd get shot. So it's SA-MK-Drizz for 3 then. :up:
This is a thread for unpopular opinions, and I push that envelope sometimes. You have little to worry about compared to me.
:oldrazz:

This is a thread for unpopular opinions, and I push that envelope sometimes. You have little to worry about compared to me.
:oldrazz:

I save & use my 'unpopular' / burn at the stake points for any MCU discussion I find myself in at an inopportune moment I unfortunately place myself in. ;)

I save & use my 'unpopular' / burn at the stake points for any MCU discussion I find myself in at an inopportune moment I unfortunately place myself in. ;)
I have one that has nothing to do with my usual dislike of MCU Spider-Man, in his first solo outing more than any other point:

The friendship between the Guardians is quickly developed and not really earned in the first movie.

I have one that has nothing to do with my usual dislike of MCU Spider-Man, in his first solo outing more than any other point:

The friendship between the Guardians is quickly developed and not really earned in the first movie.

Whilst my MCU hate is well known, to be fair to GOTG, they are not alone in the quick gang / die for each other mentality formation issue, in a 2hr film, that's quite an achievement to bag everyone in the gang and have an emotional 'outcome' for them all to latch onto.

I thought if I said the story & characterisation was better than Raimi's (which in certain areas it does exceed), I'd get shot. So it's SA-MK-Drizz for 3 then. :up:
I'll always love the Raimi films but they're far from perfect. Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie but it's not without its problems. To be fair, the game also has the advantage of hours upon hours of character development and sheer immersion into the story that none of the films have on their own.

Temple of Doom is the Bay-formers of the 1980s.

I'll always love the Raimi films but they're far from perfect. Spider-Man 2 is still my favorite Spider-Man movie but it's not without its problems. To be fair, the game also has the advantage of hours upon hours of character development and sheer immersion into the story that none of the films have on their own.
It's good to see someone loving it admitting that it's not a perfect movie. I still love that movie as entertainment, I love all three.

In a way, you're not wrong. It's still better than any of those, and does not make me wish to slap a single character.

Is it wrong that I think it's a great Indiana Jones movie, but a not very great movie in general?

I feel like Last Crusade is great entertainment, but it lacks the sense of atmosphere that Raiders and Doom had. Doom just feels "INDY-er" than Last Crusade, with the bridge scene showing Jones at his most plucky and intense. I guess Last Crusade is a GREAT movie, but just a "good enough" Indiana Jones adventure. Raiders was able to combine an intense atmosphere and a light-hearted approach, and had the advantage of being the establishing movie. I don't think there's anyone who's emotionally well that dislikes that flick :p

Crystal Skull is *unpopular opinion coming on* less uneven than TOD, but seldom contains quality storytelling. It feels more of a time-capsule of a world-weary Spielberg and unhinged Lucas..though ironically I'm disturbingly okay with the Nuke-The-Fridge scene.

Like, I feel like part of the point of Indiana Jones is that he puts himself in crazy situations that no normal person can survive.

Is it stupid? Yes, but don't tell me that immortal knights and cartooney heart rippings are more realistic. Crystal skulls use of CGI setpieces is overdone, but the biggest flaws are the inconsequential narrative. It neither has enough intrigue to carry its adventure (Raiders), nor enough character to provide weight (Last Crusade).

KOTCS will probably always be the worst Indy movie, but Temple of Doom for me is the least satisfying. I think it has more to do with the awesomesauce of Raiders than its own shortcomings-it's arguably the most exciting IJ movie.

One of the villains?
Nope.

KlutzyMixedEgret-max-1mb.gif

Willie is an insufferable character, but she's meant to be. Also makes you appreciate Marion (Karen Allen) all that more for ROTA & Crystal Skulls. That's the point, the difference between the two woman is to signify the differing periods of Indy's life plus the point becomes more 'visible' that he is meant to be with Marion, by making Willie & her differences so stark and jarring, there is room for the story to explore, plus a man like Jones would not stay in a relationship with someone like Willie for too long.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"