State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Spider-Aziz

Spider-Aziz Not the Voice You Know

Prometheus is as bad as someone taking a piss in his own bottle of water and expects me to drink it as a prank, my reaction would be holding back from throwing the bottle back at the pissers face.

Visually beautiful, but piss poor characterization is the key to terrible storytelling in the case of that garbage of a film

2. TheGuy

TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

Imagine Rachel Dawes going on to become Bruce's final love in TDKR? That's what we got in Endgame. Goddamn atrocious writing for Cap.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  3. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

You're comparing Peggy to Rachel Dawes?

Steve Roger's is basically the 90 year old virgin. He finally found a woman who he loved, and she loved him. Then he sacrificed his chance at a life with her to save the world. He wakes back up in the modern world, 60 odd years down the line, but his love for Peggy was literally yesterday.

Who is Rachel Dawes to Bruce Wayne? She doesn't even love him. She loves and wants to marry Harvey Dent. Even though Bruce is constantly badgering her and putting her under this pressure. So Bruce Wayne not only wants to steal Dent's girl... he also wants to pass the burden of being Gothams protector onto him. Bruce Wayne is, for lack of a better term, a ****ing wanker

I just cant see how the characters or their relationships are comparable.

Deck Rickard and Spider-Aziz like this.
  4. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

Rachel Dawes can shine Peggy Carter's combat boots.

Deck Rickard and Spider-Aziz like this.
  5. TheGuy

TheGuy Dwelling under the Batcave

Yes. :o
    Peggy died in CW. Sharon's relationship with Steve was built minimally in TWS and explored a bit in CW. By the end of AOU, Steve explicitly mentions that the Avengers is his home. Yet oddly, Sharon was not even present in IW and EG. We never got to hear from Sharon again. It's like she never existed at all and was only there to fill a temporary love interest. Somehow, the writers managed to bring back Peggy just because she was the popular and better character of the two. The results however managed to only make Peggy and Cap become selfish adulterers or pricks who want to **** each other. Steve instead had to go back and not move forward as a character.

They somehow managed to make the best female character, BY FAR, in the MCU to some mere hottie Steve can't get over with. In my theater, nobody clapped or cheered for the ending of EG. The writers suddenly became lazy and forgot they wrote TFA, TWS, CW and IW. Lol.

Don't sweat about my opinion. I still have EG as the 2nd best MCU film. They simply did Cap dirty. :yuk:

She loved Bruce in both a platonic (not romantic) and friendly way. This was made clear by BB's ending, especially with regards to the former. Bruce however treats their relationship as romantic. Rachel isn't even Harvey's girl to begin with. That fact is made clear when she denied Harvey's initial proposal to marry. Only when Joker's attacks consumed Batman, the police and Gotham did she made her choice final. Steve is getting a free pass for returning to Peggy despite the presence of Sharon yet Bruce isn't for wanting Rachel when he and Harvey were in direct competition for her love. Bruce's longing for love and rest is perfectly concluded when he got over Rachel and took off with Selina after TDKR. He may be a wanker for Rachel but at least Bruce did not get stuck in her memory forever.

Peggy is the better character, no doubt. But EG throws a bone and ruins a perfectly layered character that should have been terminated at CW. Both are definitely comparable in my eyes.

Abudefduf, Ninjablade and Spider-Aziz like this.
  6. The Endless

The Endless WE are Groot

Fair points. Tbh I completely forgot about Sharon.

But I think overall it ends Steve's arc beautifully. It humanises him which is the key to bold characters like Cap and Superman.

He's still a hero. For all these years hes been trying to get over this pain. A bereavement even. Burying it deep down and focusing on helping others. I loved the therapy scene in Endgame where Steve is helping other people to cope and move on from the snap. But he himself cant quite do it.

I understand criticisms with how it was executed. Other consequences of playing with time. But I'm glad Cap got that happy ending. I was too emotionally invested to even notice tbh.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  7. Schlosser85

I do think it’s a little iffy writing how Steve is soooo determined to get Bucky back and defies The Avengers and like 117 nations for him and then is like “lol bye” without them even saying more than two words to each other and Steve not even acknowledging Bucky when he comes back old.

I have a problem buying it being in Steve’s character to go play house with Peggy and live happily ever after knowing Bucky is being tortured and brainwashed and Hydra is growing inside SHIELD.

Batmannerism and Spider-Aziz like this.
  8. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

The only good thing about that film was Fassbender as David - his performance carries the movie.

9. Batmannerism

Yeah, but the Russo's time travel rules won't let him change the past....except to get together with Peggy, soòoo....yeah.

I don't think Steve and Bucky left anything unsaid between them, whereas Sam and Steve needed that final exchange. The passing of the shield was kind of symbolic, as unless Sam gets some super soldier serum he's not going to be able to do much with the shield. I'm interested to see how the Falcon/winter soldier series plays out.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  10. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Steve's ending was bull****.

Spider-Aziz and TheGuy like this.
  11. DOBSON10

DOBSON10 Custom User Title

Michael B. Jordan is awful...

Donald Glover is awful...

Oscar Issac is awful...

Patrick Wilson is awful...

Miles Teller is awful...

Emilia Clarke is awful...

Jamie Foxx is god awful...

Common is god awful...

I see these names come up in fancasting, or see their performances praised alot of this site and I just scratch my head. I'll never understand what people see in any of them, they're all mediocre actors at very best.

Brie Larson, and Jennifer Lawrence are good actors, but both are wildly overrated. Emma Stone, Margot Robbie, Keira Knightley, Emily Blunt, among others in their age range, are much better actresses.

Julianne Moore is a better actress than Meryl Streep. Streep is the most overrated actress of All-Time.

Christian Bale is the best actor of this generation, edging out Leo DiCaprio.

12. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

The Bourne movies are the best spy movie franchise.

13. DOBSON10

DOBSON10 Custom User Title

Co-sign.

14. the last son

the last son Registered

Affleck Batman sucked.

15. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Not sure that is an unpopular opinion.

16. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Jeremy Renner is the best part of the Avengers movies.

17. Batmannerism

That may not be the most popular opinion but I imagine that more than a few people would take Jason Bourne over James Bond, Jack Bauer or Ethan Hunt any day.

For me nothing beats the Matt Damon Bourne trilogy ( the sequels....not so much). Bourne Ultimatum is my GOAT spy thriller/action film.

CJ and DOBSON10 like this.
  18. Batmannerism

I would agree with a fair bit of that.

19. Schlosser85

I would agree Streep and DiCaprio are overrated, and I’m not impressed with Donald Glover in anything. I wasn’t impressed with Jordan in Black Panther (haven’t seen him in anything else), and I usually find Patrick Wilson pretty meh, although I dug him in Aquaman.

DOBSON10 likes this.
  20. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Now that's an unpopular opinion.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  21. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Indeed it is. :yay:

22. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I'd say Clint Barton is the character that grounds the entire thing. Natasha is a trained assassin, there's a God, a genius billionaire, a big green guy, etc. But he is the regular man. He is indeed a very important part of the Avengers.

23. 2kt09

2kt09 Snyder Rent-Free

Parabellum wasn't good.

2019 may as well go down as one of the worst for movies at this rate.

24. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Yes, I agree. In fact, the meeting that did not happen during either Infinity War or Endgame was between Barton and Peter Quill, who fills the same sort of role in the Guardians of the Galaxy franchise.

25. the last son

the last son Registered

The audience was wrong. Pet semetary was a good horror movie. Finally a decent one compared to the garbage the conjuring has been putting out.