State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Ninjablade

Ninjablade Not as bad as it looks

With the exception of John Wick 3, I’ve found every film I’ve seen this year different levels of disappointing. All of them have soured for me after repeated viewings.

JimThompson likes this.
  2. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

Not trying to be a smartass here, but I found John Wick 3 disappointing.

Ninjablade and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  3. Speed Force

Speed Force Hope, help and compassion

This has been a really disappointing year for movies. There's been plenty of "good" ones, but I don't have a clear favorite film yet and the only movie I'm actually excited for now is Ad Astra

Ninjablade likes this.
  4. Ninjablade

Ninjablade Not as bad as it looks

Fair enough. Honestly, even that film wasn’t as good as I was hoping it’d be. The action sequences really save it for my personal enjoyment.
    Yeah, I’d agree, this year has been kind of lackluster. As of right now, the only film’s I’m looking forward to are Jojo Rabbit, The Lighthouse, Ad Astra, and IT Chapter 2. There’s plenty of other films I’m sure I’ll see, but nothing I’ll be dying to go see.

So far the best movie I’ve seen in theaters this year is The Shining.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  5. Speed Force

Taxi Driver is a good movie, but not "great"

6. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

I’ll go one further and say it’s not even an especially good one.

7. Herofan

Herofan Registered

The acting in it is great, the writing not really so much.

8. Bobber

Bobber Registered

lol

9. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

Everyone on earth should watch Taxi Driver solely for the reason that it's the only opportunity you'll have to witness the majesty that is Robert De Niro with a mohawk.

Batmannerism likes this.
  10. Speed Force

I was definitely not that impressed. De Niro is good, but it felt really outdated.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  11. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

Interesting, I feel like it really captures the era. I haven't been to NY, or wasn't even alive in that year, but the atmosphere of the film, with the music, the camera around the city, the themes, it's a like perfect portrait of the 70's.

12. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

A weird thing about 70s and early 80s movies is that the music makes them feel really cheesy at times to me. I love 70s music but in some films like Taxi Driver in particular, I feel like the music is SO representative of films at the time that it's a bit grating. It's a nitpick for sure but I remember finding the music really irritating when I saw it. It was like the soundtrack to Moonlighting, lol.

13. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

Unpopular film opinion. I prefer Superman 3 to Superman 2.

14. Jordacar

Jordacar The Endless One

I prefer Superman 4 to Superman 3.

I Am The Knight and Batmannerism like this.
  15. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

YES! YES! YES ! I knew I wasn't the only one!

Superman IV has worse effects but Margot Kidder is pretty good as Lois, and Reeve is always great as Superman.

Superman's UN speech is better than anything in Superman 3 ( except maybe good Clark vs evil Superman) and always gets a reaction from me.

16. Batmannerism

Wow ! Now that's an unpopular opinion.
    Having said that the so-called Donner cut of S2 is terrible !

Deck Rickard likes this.
  17. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I would argue it isn't"terrible" but that going in expecting it to be a totally co-hesive film was a fool's errand to begin with. It is an incomplete film, that version, patched together to give a fan an idea of how a Donner completed SII might have been like. It even had to use audition and workshop footage to fill in gaps. That it repeats the ending of the first film is a big tip off that it wouldn't have actually been released like that in the first place since its widely known that the reverse time angle for a finale was switched from the at the same time in production sequel to the ending of the first film and that Donner was going to by necessity come up with a different ending.

All that said... I think that since MOST of the film we saw in the theatrical release is Donner's to begin with (In varous interviews and I believe in the commentary on S:TM's dvd release Donner talks about Lester being asked questions about various scenes he supposedly shot for SII and Donner says something like "That's interesting because you can see me in the background in X scene acting as an extra so I don't know where he was that day because I directed that and put myself in the background, so...) what the SII Donner cut brings to the table is chance to see the particular takes and overall tone he would have had if he could have completed it. And... I think if I judge it that way that I think his cut would have been superior, and as stated without the time reverse since that would have been scrapped. The takes Donner would choose seem to be better ones than what was used in the theatrical release and elements like Lois, as is true to the silver age comics, NOT being fooled by the glasses and figuring out the truth, the actual reveal moment( loads better than the insipid tripping on the bear skin thing) and the moments in the Fortress and the scene of Jor-el's essence repowering Superman are just flat out better on all levels to Lester's added material. Not to mention Donner was way better in how he approached and used humor. The devistation of Metropolis doesn't include all that silliness like the ice cream to the face or nonsense of the guy still on the phone as everything is being blown away around him.

It's not a complete film in the truest sense but I much prefer the Donner material we got to see in the Donner Cut over both the material Lester created whole cloth or Lester's choice of the takes Donner did shoot himself.

18. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

It's a great thing to see Superman giving a speech in the UN (and exactly the kind of thing missing from BvS) but I just can't take that scene seriously. The movie's such a fairy tale and not in the good way.

19. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I have a soft spot for Superman III because it was the one I saw the most when I was a kid. I'm afraid to watch it again and notice how awful it actually is.
    The scene I remember the most is him changing from Clark to Superman in the back of the car during the fire in the factory sequence. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

20. KRYPTON INC.

I actually enjoy the Smalleville material in SIII. Not having Kidder allowed for inclusion of Lana and I think it's the best stuff in the film and something that probably wouldn't have been included otherwise.

LightDaggers and Deck Rickard like this.
  21. Batmannerism

Okay....
    in the cinematic and assorted Lester versions General Zoe holds the Daily Planet editorial staff hostage awaiting Superman 's arrival. Superman flies up to the window, gives Zod a look and says "General, would you care to step outside?" and flies off. It's awesome and straight up Superman.

In the Donner cut Supes flies up and says "Haven't you ever heard of the freedom of the press ?" Ummmmmm.....

That, and the green Crystal scene in the Donner cut is simply awful - you can almost see the disbelief on Reeve's face, and the "FATHER !" line ......ugh.

Those are just some of the differences that leap out between the two films.

Whoever shot it doesn't matter to me, IMHO simply put the so-called Donner cut is rubbish, it isn't even a complete film.

When I take the DVD of Superman the movie ( cinematic) out of the player I say to myself "Yeah, that's still awesome."

When I take out the Donner cut the first thing that comes to mind is WTF?

For people who like it, more power to you, but I think it's crap.

In another strange twist of fate, maybe even irony, Jon Cryer, who played the crappiest member of the Luthor family ever seen on the big screen played a much better version of Lex Luthor ,on the small screen in Supergirl, than Eisenberg did in B v S.

22. KRYPTON INC.

Why the adversarial tone? I wasn't doing anything but giving my opinion Senor Hombre-isms.

I will grant you the "freedom of the press" line. It felt off.

But the rest... I think the identity reveal stuff and Lois figuring it out is far better than Superman tripping on a pink bear is. I mean... One is pure silliness and the other version is based on character and was indeed one of the scenes the candidates for Lois did which won Margot the part.

Wasn't the calling out "Father!" in both versions though? (Just checked it... Yup. He screams it in both Theatrical and Donner cut...) And I just think given the primacy of Jor-El in S:TM that seeing him again makes a lot more sense than suddenly bringing in the mother whom we never got a sense at all in the first film was also some kind of all knowing A.I. It's obvious in hindsight now ADR that has Reeves saying "Father...(whispered ADR) Mother", showing a tagged on alteration. (Donner has a joke about this which I'm sure you've heard before.) Plus... Yeah, they pay off the Kryptonian prophecy thing, and bring the Christ metaphor to it's apotheosis.

If you want to see disbelief in Reeves face... You aren't wrong. I think a valid interpretation is of the hero that's lost faith, most of all in himself. It's to me, and especially after having never seen it, some of Reeve's best work as the character and showing some real under the hood humanity. Which, after all, is what messianic type characters are supposed to be about, not just divine perfection but a paradox of that melded with humanity. Jesus, Hercules, Thor... Superman. All hero figures that are supposed to be between both the mundane and the divine, or at least reference that in their origins.

Also... If I recall I believe if you read my post... I said that... Oh, here's the quote... Of... Myself.... (weird)

Later on...

So... I didn't make any claim it was a cohesive film in the first place.

You think it's crap. GOOD FOR YOU JACK. I just shared why I think that the material I got to see feels more authentic to the feel and vibe of Superman: The Movie than the many scenes in the version I grew up with.

23. Batmannerism

@KRYPTON INC. Dude, calm down, there's no need to get all capital letters about this.

I wasn't intending an adversarial tone - I honestly mean it, if you like the Donner cut more power to you, but to me it's crap.

I'm not disputing your opinion, or rubbishing you for having it - I just strongly disagree.

I feel the same way about Superman Returns, I hated it - but if people like it more power to them, in fact I'm slightly envious, because I felt like asking for my money back.

With regards to some of the stuff you mentioned:

He does call out "Father!" in both versions, but in the Donner cut it sounds even more forced and ridiculous IMO.

I'm not asserting you said it was a cohesive film or attacking you about it, because we both know that it isn't. Really it should be called the "Donner's nearly completed collection of stuff he filmed that almost makes sense"

I'm not slagging you off for having a different opinion ( and at no point did I suggest that you are wrong) - just stating that my opinion is very different. If it sounded like I was criticizing you then I apologise - surely we can agree to disagree like civilized humans, especially in this thread of all threads.

IMO the trip and accidental reveal worked for me... why? I'm glad you asked. It plays on the idea that as he grows closer to Lois Superman wants to reveal himself, so he makes it happen. To me, within the context of the film ( which is not all that serious) it works. If you prefer Donner's version, that's your call. TBH I think that one of the things that Snyder got right in Man of Steel was sidestepping the whole Clark-Lois co-workers issue.

While we're talking about it I hated the turning back time thing in the first movie ( even as an 8 year old I knew it was a cop out) so pulling that trick twice for me was ultra lame. The thing is that the rest of Superman the movie is so great that I can let it go - with the Donner cut.....

So in summary, agree to disagree on pretty much all of this one dude.

BtW which is the unpopular opinion? That the Donner cut is good or rubbish ?

Peace. Live Long and Prosper.

24. STARMAN

STARMAN Rebel With A Cause

When I first saw Superman II many years ago I considered it a worthy successor to Superman the movie. I like it less and less upon each viewing, to the point where I can barely watch it. I find the film mostly boring. From the villains passing through the small town to the Niagara Falls scenes. I don't like how they developed the romance between Superman and Lois at all. The only thing I like now is the battle of Metropolis.

I actually prefer Superman III mainly due to the junkyard battle, the chemical fire and the relationship of Clark and Lana. Still, I wouldn't be able to watch the entirety of Superman III either. Just the aforementioned scenes.

Batmannerism likes this.
  25. CJ

CJ Every Villain Has A Dreamcast

The Electro fight at the end of ASM2 is probably my favorite CBM fight scene.

Batmannerism likes this.