State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Batmannerism

Batmannerism Super-unknown

Dude, I suspect that might be one of the most unpopular opinions ever - I salute your bravery for sharing it !

CJ likes this.
  2. CJ

CJ Every Villain Has A Dreamcast

Electro was a really underrated villain, imo.

I loved when he projected himself on the side of the skyscraper and taunted Spidey with that 'itsy bitsy spider' song. The music and special effects during the fight were great and the plot-point about the air traffic controllers helped create a lot of tension during the scene.

Batmannerism likes this.
  3. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Fans want to blame Sony for TASM2's issues... Here is an unpopular opinion... Fans brought those issues upon themselves with their par for the course at this point hyperbolic complaints about TASM1. The good things in TASM2 are the things that carried over in tone and spirit from the first film. The the nonsensical stuff like Electro's pre-transformed characterization, the BS with "Rhino", the Schumacher-esque doctor? All reactions to the fans complaints about the "darkness" of TASM1.

Social media amplifies things as is, and when you add in a certain type of obsessed demo like super hero fans, the most vocal gets the most attention.

Does that absolve Sony? No. There were financial issues at play, they over spent, there are problems with the film even taking out what I already mentioned... But if they had decided to NOT cater to the vocal fan "outrage" I also suspect the script and other choices would have been different from the get go.

Fan overrraction has played a lot more into how many of these franchises develop than we care to admit, for obvious reasons.

4. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

Eh, there’s fan outrage over everything. It’s not like ASM was so good that fans didn’t have a right to voice their dissatisfaction with it. It wasn’t terrible but it also wasn’t great and it didn’t really bring anything new to the table other than a different actor in the lead role and a slightly darker tone than we’d seen before. After watching it, I think the collective response was mostly, “Meh. Why did they feel the need to reboot this?”

Anyway, whether they decided to listen to the fans or not, there are ways of doing that without producing a turd of a movie. I remember reading an article after Batman Begins came out that said that Nolan had been listening to what fans were asking for while he was crafting TDK. And if that’s true, well, he clearly listened to the right suggestions. If you retool your entire script based on random people on the internet who claimed that your last movie raped their childhood and it turns out like garbage, that’s on you.

Herofan likes this.
  5. Bobber

Bobber Registered

That's probably the difference between when a director is listening to what fans have to say, and when a studio does it.

6. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

It's pretty great. The action sequences in the TASM series were real good. Not Raimi good, but still.

CJ likes this.
  7. DOBSON10

DOBSON10 Custom User Title

My unpopular Spider-Man movie opinion is that Amazing Spider-Man 1 is still the best Spider-Man movie and Andrew Garfield is still the best Spider-Man.

As for ASM2 and Electro, can't agree with that. Electro was god awful, and that movie was really mediocre.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  8. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Yeah, I find that in terms of what a modern film version of Spidey should be for me, in a world that looks and feels like an actual representation of an NYC that I know... TAS-M1 delivers what I want. The sequel is a mess with some really good material interspread between the junk. And yes... I like Tobey, I like Tom... But neither represent the Spidey I grew up with in the 80's and 90's in any meaningful way. Maguire is JUST a sadsack punching bag for Raimi. In costume the quips are so ****ing lame when they even remember that Spidey is supposed to be confident and cocky with the mask on. Holland I was hoping after five times out in the role would have developed into a more confident hero in costume and out personality wise by FFH but... That never really materialized. I adored HC but FFH, the characterization was now borderline grating. Garfield nailed a modern Peter (including, guess what... Peter's petty, selfish and not so nice side which has always been there in the character right from the start...) in his first film. He was both superhero and relatable human being.

TheGuy likes this.
  9. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

I just want to say that back in Dec 2015 I was Literally the ONLY person on this forum who hated Force Awakens.

And now pretty much the whole internet agrees with me.

10. Schlosser85

Schlosser85 Watchful Protector

.....it does?

11. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

Obvious hyperbole but the tide definitely turned after a while. Now I see a lot of people grouping TFA in with their hatred of TLJ.

There were certainly negative opinions of TFA on release but damned if I could find any on this site. I've never seen a movie get that kind of reaction here. It was all 9s and 10s.

12. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

I have kind of a weird view of TFA and TLJ. At least I think I do. Maybe it’s the general consensus though; I’m not sure.

I like both films overall but I think it’s mostly because I absolutely HATED the prequels so much that I probably would have liked literally ANYTHING better than them. Like, they reduced the franchise to such a low place that TFA, which is mostly just ANH remade with legacy characters, felt like a Best Picture candidate in comparison. Though overtime, the derivative nature of the script has bothered me a bit.

TLJ is a bit of a different animal. I like the film overall but setting the entire movie around a low-speed chase through space just bothers me. It just feels like they didn’t know what to do with the plot, and it seems a bit silly that Snoke’s all powerful ship can’t catch up to them or just annihilate them but Finn and Rose are able to scurry off on a secret mission and come all the way back. I also didn’t really care for all the clandestine plotting by Poe, which is supposed to be character-building but ultimately just makes him look like an idiot and gets people killed. And the movie also felt like it was an hour too long. That said, there is a lot that I like in the film like Hamill’s performance, good character growth for Rey and interesting interplay between Rey and Kylo. And the battle between them and the Praetorian Guard is epic.

All in all though, I think the biggest problem is that the main characters all feel so disconnected. Like, Poe is barely in TFA. And we establish a decent bond between Rey and Finn there, but then they barely interact at all in TLJ. And while that can work, in the end, Star Wars is about family. And the main characters don’t feel like one at all. I can’t believe I’m saying this, but Disney can learn a thing or two from the Fast & Furious series. Those movies are stupid as hell but people keep coming back because they like how the characters play off each other. That’s one thing the new Star Wars films have been lacking.

Batmannerism likes this.
  13. Batmannerism

That might not be as unpopular an opinion as you might think. I completely agree with your assessment of TFA - it was simply ANH with a different lead cast, which was hugely disappointing - for it's lack of originality.

Something that made the original series so successful was the chemistry and connection between the 3 leads.

Is Poe really a main character ? He always felt like a supporting character to me, mostly because he seems to spend a lot of time screwing up.

TLJ is not without its merits IMO, but those are balanced against a lot of crap. The whole Benicio Del Toro subplot seems like it was only there because someone at Disney believed that the way to make any movie better is to have Del Toro make an appearance.

#638 Batmannerism, Sep 2, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
    Deck Rickard likes this.
  14. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

Ugh. Yeah Del Toro’s character was such a waste. It was like someone saw him in Guardians of the Galaxy and said, “Let’s have him do that, only worse!” Ugh. And even more depressing when you watch him in Sicario or Traffic and you think how great of a character he COULD have been.

And yeah, part of what makes the original films so great is the chemistry that Luke, Han, Leia, Chewie, Lando and the droids had with each other. We haven’t really gotten much of that with this new cast.

Batmannerism likes this.
  15. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I agree about the disconnection between all the characters in Star Wars. That's why I think putting all of them together for the majority of Episode 9 is probably the best idea of the entire trilogy. An adventure where everyone is together.

16. Schlosser85

I enjoyed TFA quite a lot. Yes, I know it's more or less a reworked A New Hope, but I thought it was a good launching pad. Then TLJ was just a hot mess and tbh pretty much killed my hype. Abrams has his work cut out for him, and this trilogy is always gonna have a ****ed up middle section.

MovieSlave likes this.
  17. Schlosser85

In TFA I thought Daisy Ridley and John Boyega had good chemistry (although Finn is kind of a bumbling black sidekick), but then TLJ has the bright idea to keep them separate the whole movie and have Finn on this total extraneous side adventure while Rey spends most of the movie traipsing around an island with Luke "get off my lawn!" Skywalker and Force Skyping with Kylo.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  18. Deck Rickard

Deck Rickard Bright Lord

I hope the third film can even everything out. I agree that bringing them altogether is a good idea. But how will they fare against the Emperor’s Hot Toys figure? Only time will tell...

19. I Am The Knight

I Am The Knight Tonight's a good night.

Even though I have enjoyed the films, I still feel like this sequel trilogy has failed to justify it's existence. For me, Star Wars ended with ROTJ. That was a perfect conclusion to the saga. The prequels were always kind of a mixed bag for me, but they were prequels, so they didn't matter as much, if that makes any sense? While with the sequel trilogy, I feel like they are sonewhat ruining a good thing that never needed a sequel. They haven't made me care that much about any of the new characters.

Batmannerism likes this.
  20. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

I've always said that there should never have been sequels. The story was over. All they could do is the same thing that the EU did which is bring the Empire/Emperor back and have our characters go on "another adventure". But there is nothing that can match the saga of Anakin and Luke.

Batmannerism likes this.
  21. Batmannerism

There is so much scope for great adventure stories in the Star Wars universe that they could have gone any number of directions. Stories could be set many generations before or after the original series.

That's why I was incredibly disappointed with TFA - if you've never seen a SW film it's good, but I believe that there were plenty of people who grew up with the originals who would have been thinking "Wait a moment, I've seen this before...." during most of TFA. I guess Abrams banked on a winning formula ( and I'm sure Disney's bankers had no complaints) but for fans it's a letdown.

TBH I would have been happy to see a transition film that passed the torch from Luke, Leia and Han to the new generation - maybe to deal with a new menace rather than just The Empire 2.0 ( complete with a Death Star 2.0) and a wannabe Darth Vader.

Sorry, this is a very old complaint..... I'll stop now. I should say that I did like Luke's ending, it worked within the film - but did he really need to repeat obi Wan's mistakes and retire as a grumpy bastard ?

22. DyeLorean

DyeLorean will return

I think they also ruined how to integrate the original trio into the new cast. We'll see what happens with Luke in 9 but I felt it was such a wasted opportunity to have all three of them together in some capacity.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  23. PunyGod

PunyGod Astronomer

I believe the Lucas version was going to have the Trio together for another mission. And it was Abrams who decided that he couldn't figure out how Luke works in the story so he took him out.

I hope that we get a synopsis of the Lucas version at some point.

I agree but the problem is audience expectations. If you come out with a new movie that has no connection to the previous films you are going to confuse and disappoint a lot of people. If you are going to bring the franchise back it is necessary to continue the main story first before you do the side stories.

Batmannerism likes this.
  24. Batmannerism

Okay , but surely the guy who reinvented Star Trek and created LOST could have come up with something a bit more original than a virtual remake of the original ? Couldn't he ?

25. JimThompson

JimThompson Registered

Apparently not.

Batmannerism likes this.