State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

I find it ironic the first one is actually trying to say something serious about how damaged veterans are treated after they come home, and then the rest totally abandon that to be a gung-ho shoot-em-up where said damaged veteran mows down thousands of enemy soldiers.

Yeah, Ocean's 12 was terrible. I loved the first one, but they should have just stopped there if they couldn't think up a good idea for a sequel. Never bothered to see 13, though 8 was okay.

I never saw Ocean's Twelve in it's entirety but Ocean's Thirteen is pretty good. You should check it out. Although if you were a fan of the Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones characters you might get pissed.

The only Rambo movie I have seen is First Blood.

It’s the only one worth watching, IMO.

I find it ironic the first one is actually trying to say something serious about how damaged veterans are treated after they come home, and then the rest totally abandon that to be a gung-ho shoot-em-up where said damaged veteran mows down thousands of enemy soldiers.

Yep, totally agree. Turning that film into an action franchise is almost like doing the same thing to Taxi Driver or The Deer Hunter.

I never saw Ocean's Twelve in it's entirety but Ocean's Thirteen is pretty good. You should check it out. Although if you were a fan of the Julia Roberts and Catherine Zeta Jones characters you might get pissed.

Maybe I’ll give it a chance at some point.

Watching The Irishman I felt trapped inside a retirement home for great actors where they were pointlessly rehashing similar roles from their past without a coherent whole to support them.

And all those names and places! It reminded me of that scene in The Naked Gun:

-Hector Savage. From Detroit. Ex-boxer. His real name was Joey Chicago.
-Oh, yeah. He fought under the name of Kid Minneapolis.
-I saw Kid Minneapolis fight once. In Cincinnati.
-No, you're thinking of Kid New York. He fought out of Philly.
-He was killed in the ring in Houston. By Tex Colorado. You know, the Arizona Assassin.
-Yeah, from Dakota. I don't remember it was North or South.
-North. South Dakota was his brother. From West Virginia.

I really struggled with the Irishman. Unlike Goodfellas, which immediately grabbed my attention, the Irishman was dragging its ass for the first 20 minutes, after which I gave up. I'll go back to watch the rest but I'm in no hurry.

The Naked Gun was the total opposite f@$!ing hilarious from the first minute.

It is weird indeed.

It’s the only one worth watching, IMO.
I should take this into heart, but I'm not one who listens to advice.

Gung Ho does seem kind of a fitting direction considering all the damage he's done on his own in the first film.

The Naked Gun is hilarious.

Nobody could carry off deadpan silliness like Leslie Nielsen, Canada's greatest comedic actor ever. I would watch anything with him in it.

A really tough question would be which was funnier the first Naked Gun film or Airplane. I'm leaning towards Airplane just because it's more quotable.

"A hospital! What is it ?"
" Its a big building with patients in it, but that's not important right now."

"Surely you can't be serious !"
" I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Last edited:
The Amazing Spider-man had many great things.

In it Spider-man had had one of the best executed relationships with the police.
The scene of the rescue of the kid in the car is awesome.
The chemistry between Peter and Gwen is great.

Here's an unpopular opinion about Leslie Nielsen: Wrongfully Accused is one of his best spoof films alongside The Naked Gun and Airplane!.

Here's an unpopular opinion about Leslie Nielsen: Wrongfully Accused is one of his best spoof films alongside The Naked Gun and Airplane!.

If I'm thinking of the right one, I just remember the part where he's running from the crashing train through the woods.....and then runs back the other way with the train still behind him.

If I'm thinking of the right one, I just remember the part where he's running from the crashing train through the woods.....and then runs back the other way with the train still behind him.
That's the one. Mainly a parody of The Fugitive. There are tons of great jokes in that one.

You ever watch an acclaimed film and you’re sad that you just don’t get it? I can add Au Hasard Balthazar to my list of European films I just don’t get.
Several acclaimed films have just been duds for me. I can't sit through a lot of them because of how dramatic they are and how serious everything is and how self important so many of them are.

I guess that is why I can't watch 2001 or many of the Oscar best picture films. They all have too much weight on them.

Which isn't to say I don't watch serious movies, it's just so many of the most highly regarded ones bore me, depress me, annoy me or have absolutely nothing of interest to say to me.

And another unpopular film opinion: franchise movie sequels aren't all terrible. I don't like all of them (most of the Transformers up to Bumblebee were trash, similarly Resident Evil quickly went downhill, the Alien/Predator franchises have suffered) but Terminator Dark Fate, Rise of Skywalker (& even TLJ) were decent sequels to movie franchises that have otherwise seen better days. Captain Marvel was not a bad MCU movie.

Finally...

There is too much derision in the main franchise forums anymore for me to go into them anymore. The fanbase is too entitled to enjoy sharing an experience about how much you liked a given movie. It's all how the movie was terrible, how it failed to live up to some impossible or unreasonable expectation. That this character wasn't right, or that the story didn't make sense because (long diatribe on something pointless) and that it just isn't good anymore. Not even Endgame escaped the hate from some fans out to tarnish it.

The movies get pre-judged and then that assumption is borne out and reinforced by other people who already inexplicably hate a sequel to a franchise they are supposedly fans of.

Yeah, a bit bitter myself over how the fanbase has turned on itself and the franchises they used to represent.

Return of the Jedi is my favourite Star Wars movie.

Yeah. I get that. I go back and forth between ANH and ROTJ. People go on about Empire Strikes back, it is great but I find it drags in the middle.

ROTJ does rehash some old ideas - but hey at least it's George Lucas rehashing his own ideas ( not JJ Abrams shamelessly plagiarizing them)

In ROTJ The action sequences are great ( love the Endor bike chase) and the final confrontation between Luke, Vader and the Emperor is wonderfully satisfying.

The score is also incredibly strong - "Into the Trap" beautifully sets the mood, and the Emperor's theme is suitably ominous and menacing.

It's a good enough movie to make us think ( even if only while watching it ) that an army of Carebears could have defeated a Nazi regiment.

Most importantly we leave the cinema feeling that all the loose ends are tied up, the problems are all resolved and the galaxy has been saved, - regardless of the goofy music in that final scene. I did think that just having music and no dialogue was brilliant because if you're a fan, you know what the characters are thinking. You walk away feeling hopeful.

And of course Leia's metal bikini......

I mean, ROTJ has it all.

Joker.... the scene in which he kills DeNiro is rubbish. Even DeNiro doesn't excel in this one, although the dialogue doesn't help, it's pretty clunky - I mean who actually talks like that at all, much less on a talk show?

What really ruins it for me is the characterization of the Joker. He isn't just unlikable and unsympathetic he's infantile and annoying. The whiny voice does nothing for the character.

This film has only reinforced my belief that no one will ever topple Ledger as the best ever performance as the Joker.

Flying in the face of critical opinion, the Bodyguard is a very good film and there was a lot of chemistry between Costner and Houston IMO.

X-Men Origins Wolverine was actually a solid movie had it not been for the whole Deadpool part of things.
On the other hand, the Deadpool movies get old pretty quickly

Space franchises like Star Trek and Star Wars are pretty boring and people get way too hyped for Star Wars.

Majority of movie book adaptation fall short of the charms of the book and don't do it justice. Yes, even Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings and Chronicles of Narnia.

Rebooting a male lead movie into a female lead movie is a bad choice for many reasons, and they are always forgettable. Just like with reboots in general.

Basically I'm super picky and I'd say 80% of movies sound boring to me.

Solo is incredibly underrated.

I agree. It may have been an unnecessary movie but it still wasn't a bad one. I think the bigger problem it suffered was two-fold. It came out too soon and the behind the scenes drama with the directors resulting in a lot of bad press.
I agree about Solo being underrated.

Solo is the best Disney SW film.
I wouldn't call it the best cause Rogue One hits me harder there as the better movie.

Majority of movie book adaptation fall short of the charms of the book and don't do it justice.
That is true.

Majority of movie book adaptation fall short of the charms of the book and don't do it justice.
That's probably true. It can be really difficult to capture the appeal of a good, let alone great, book. But then again, great movies have been made from lackluster novels. For example Godfather is not, IMHO, a particularly good book. Neither is Jaws. As I recall, the book Die Hard is based on was surprisingly dark and interesting but no one would remember it if it wasn't for the film.

Rebooting a male lead movie into a female lead movie is a bad choice for many reasons, and they are always forgettable. Just like with reboots in general.
Reboot just for the sake of reboot annoys me. If you have a fresh point of view or feel you can somehow improve on the original, sure, go ahead. Same goes for swapping the gender of the character. If you think the story works better with a different gender, then by all means change it. But it is not compelling in and of itself. (Not that it wouldn't be interesting to see a gender-swapped version of 40 Days and 40 Nights.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vortep88
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"