State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Most fans loved Raimi’s first couple of films so I don’t know why they would want to say the films had no influence.

Many fans right or wrong do call the Raimi films goofy, reliant on comedy etc.

Many fans think that there are tonal clashes between the humor and the whiplash into melodrama.

Many fans look at 1, 2 (Yes... Even 2) and 3 and see not just a director's signature style or coherent themes uniting the trilogy but a "formula". Similar beats, humor and even specific moments repeated as though each film had a singular outline.

Many fans complain about the villains in 1 and 3, but there are also some that while they think Molina's performance as Doc Ock is scenery chewing greatness actually thinking on it the character and his motivations are thinner than what the film wants us to believe.

And...

The irony is that many of those self same fans won't concede an inch that those same criticisms can rightly be thrown at a minimum about half of the films Marvel Studios has put out.

Many fans right or wrong do call the Raimi films goofy, reliant on comedy etc.

Many fans think that there are tonal clashes between the humor and the whiplash into melodrama.

Many fans look at 1, 2 (Yes... Even 2) and 3 and see not just a director's signature style or coherent themes uniting the trilogy but a "formula". Similar beats, humor and even specific moments repeated as though each film had a singular outline.

Many fans complain about the villains in 1 and 3, but there are also some that while they think Molina's performance as Doc Ock is scenery chewing greatness actually thinking on it the character and his motivations are thinner than what the film wants us to believe.

And...

The irony is that many of those self same fans won't concede an inch that those same criticisms can rightly be thrown at a minimum about half of the films Marvel Studios has put out.
Sounds like a case of 3 (being the most recent) ruining the good taste of 1 and 2. There is goofy comedy in Raimi’s work (outside of Spidey) and plenty of outright painful comedy in a bunch of MCU films. The tonal clash works better in Raimi’s films than in something like Ragnarok (which is still nonetheless one of my favourites).

SM2 along with Molina I find very different to and a step above the other 2 films, and a step above most CBMs, especially given it helped set the path for many of them. Raimi’s stamp is clear all over them though and I’m hoping we get that on Dr Strange.

I get that SM3 was very disappointing to the majority of fans but this seems like a case of letting it discolour previous experiences, along with the MCU also being more recent and finishing on a relative high (rather than us now being directly after AoU for eg).

Overall, I’m glad I managed to miss these original discussions haha.

My biggest problems with Raimi's Spider-Man trilogy has always been casting. Tobey McGuire's a bad Spider-Man and a bad actor in general. I also don't particularly care for Kirsten Dunst as an actress either. There's also the miscasting of Topher Grace. Raimi's take on the other aspects of Spider-Man's universe are solid but when you don't care for the core elements of that trilogy, it makes it harder to give a **** about the elements that work... At least for me.

Now that we're talking Spider-Man and MCU, Homecoming does have the best on film enemy of Spider-Man. It's the first popular Spider-Man movie where the villain doesn't talk to his split personality self he's afraid of but suddenly agrees with because plot convenience.

Here's a rundown of these characters arcs:

Norman Osborn wants to save the financial status of his company, but he's nice. Untested serum awakens his evil alternate personality he doesn't remember until more than half the movie later, and suddenly the evil self and the nice self agree on being evil and Norman grovels before his mask to beg on tips about being evil.

Otto Octavius doesn't want tentacles to take control of his mind, then he hears them talk and is like "Yes, let's be evil together." "No, wait, that's not evil. Let's be ruthlessly important together". And he's a punching bag who can take all kinds of physical abuse cause the tentacles that punctured his spine make him durable and tough.

Adrian Toomes is himself, he's aware of his goals and motives, his armor did not talk to him and suddenly found an ally in him, you know why he does what he does, he knows what he wants and does it. A tool does not give him commands for some odd hokey reason.

Vulture is the best cinematic villain to fight Spider-Man, even better than Mysterio and the rest.

Yeah, as much as I liked Spider-Man 2, the whole "AI arms" thing never made sense to me with Otto. And yeah, they also never explained how metal arms somehow made him able to go toe-to-toe in a fight with a guy who can lift cable cars.

In my mind, the AI-arms are more plausible than Otto being able to walk with that rig without his knees turning to powder. But that's comics for ya.

Ah, yeah good point. Otto would have to be squatting about 900 lbs. on the regular to be able to walk around with those things, lol.

Comics Otto carries unbelievably heavy appendages, movie Otto carries unbelievable heavy gear that crack through his spine.

Bane not just gassing the cops doesn't pass the smell test... That the cops were allowed food and meds is just ridiculous... The cops after months underground are in fighting form enough to take on a mercenary army makes me want to know what strain Nolan and his bro were smoking during the writing.

You realize this is the exact same film series where a man is able to conduct a vengeance campaign with half his face burned off, a secret ninja society caused the Great London fire and a man could fill an entire hospital with explosives without anyone noticing, Right?

The double standard that people apply to the last movie in TDK trilogy vexes me to no end. Bane even explained why their not "gassing the cops", It's literally all there in the movie. I'm sorry but i really don't see how it's anymore "messy all around" than any given MCU movie.

Last edited:
I think TDKR works really well until the third act, in which Bane's plan is revealed and everyone starts acting like complete morons. Yeah, let's send EVERY cop in the city except one into the sewers because THAT makes sense.

They didn't send every cop into the sewers. A sizable portion are topside and they form the resistance to Bane's rule. Gordon also had no way of knowing about the explosive concrete and they had made previous attempts to locate Bane's sewer hideout but always failed because they kept moving, he was essentially cat-and-mousing the police.

Probably, as people have pointed out - the cops being underground for months and then being in fighting shape ( and reasonably groomed) doesn't make any logistical sense. Although having them all go in the sewers in the first place made very little sense either.

Why exactly is this an issue in the same film series where Harvey Dent was able to function with half his face burned off?

The Nolan movies may be more grounded but you still shouldn't try to apply real world logic to them.

Why exactly is this an issue in the same film series where Harvey Dent was able to function with half his face burned off?
You realize this is the exact same film series where a man is able to conduct a vengeance campaign with half his face burned off
And do you realize that many people consider that he went too far with the facial damage to Dent and consider that one of the big points against the movie?

I feel like it's an extremely unpopular opinion, but I think The Dark Knight Rises is one of the worst comic book movies of all time. Not only is it inferior to The Dark Knight and Batman Begins, but it really made me question Nolan's credibility. I know there wasn't many places for him to go after the death of Ledger, but it really felt like it wasn't even made by the same team. Most notably, switching from Chicago to New York, reintroducing the League of Shadows, making Bane completely ridiculous, Talia's plan making absolutely no sense, Levitt being Robin, and the ending.

I don't know about that. It's completely fair to say it's the least of the series (like Age of Ultron and the First Avenger are the weakest of their respective film series) but "worst of all time"? Hardly. I can think up some pretty terrible superhero movies (BVS, Suicide Squad, Fan4stic), You honestly think Rises is on the same level as those?

Personal opinion, It's always felt super-hypocritical to me whenever anyone complains about the League of Shadows coming back but then turn around to say they should have found a way to bring back the Joker. This is The Dark Knight Trilogy, not the Joker Trilogy or the Dark Knight/Joker trilogy. Joker is not the co-lead of this film series.

Last edited:
And do you realize that many people consider that he went too far with the facial damage to Dent and consider that one of the big points against the movie?

Doesn't negate my point. All three Nolan movies make it pretty clear that they're not actually set in the real world. They're still movies, the sense of relalism they abide by is a heightened one.

(like Age of Ultron and the First Avenger are the weakest of their respective film series)

Here's an unpopular opinion: I enjoyed Age of Ultron more than the original Avengers film and Infinity War (Haven't seen Endgame in its entirety yet, just clips online)

That's just the thing about TDKR- as long as you dont think about it at all it's good. But once you start thinking even a little it starts to unravel.

You've just described literally every movie based off a comic book ever made.

Eh, I'd disagree. I mean yeah superpowers don't make any logical sense but from a story perspective, you'd be hard-pressed to find a well-regarded superhero movie with as many "wait, what?!" moments as TDKR.

I don't think it's anywhere close to one of the worst of all-time tho. I think it's fine.

Eh, I'd disagree. I mean yeah superpowers don't make any logical sense but from a story perspective, you'd be hard-pressed to find a well-regarded superhero movie with as many "wait, what?!" moments as TDKR.

I don't think it's anywhere close to one of the worst of all-time tho. I think it's fine.

Agree completely. As our friend said....

Interesting, because in your previous posts you seem to acknowledge that Nolan's world isn't completely real, it merely has a thin veneer of realism. Saying that, I kind of struggle to see why you have issues with the criticism of TDKR.

You know all this, but I'll say it anyway for the avoidance of doubt. The general critique of TDKR isn't that its unrealistic, because you're right that every superhero movie is. However, the " suspension of disbelief" allows audience to accept the impossible when a story is properly told (e.g. we are told in Superman the movie by Jor El ( and 40 years of comics) that Kal El will be a godlike being on Earth, so all the incredible feats he performs can be accepted by the audience......all perhaps him turning back time, which for me was a stretch too far, but that's another discussion).

When I first saw Captain America TWS, I was like '" Wait, what ?" as Cap performs superhuman feats of strength and resistance to injury. In the comics he has no such powers..... until I learned that MCU Cap is a loose adaptation of Ultimate Captain America who is super strong and tough. So when I see him throw a motorcycle through a truck and go one on one with Ultron in AoU or hold down a helicopter in CW, that's okay. More importantly it also makes story points, such as his ability to off screen steal the Falcon suit ( from a military base) and his own costume from the Smithsonian completely plausible.

The criticism of TDKR comes from gaps within the story that are so jarring or so ridiculous that they virtually destroy the suspension of disbelief.

Back to the veneer of realism for a moment,
Nolan establishes that Batman has no superpowers and lives in a world which obeys real world laws of physics ( most of the time), in TDK his reliance on mostly practical special effects helps maintain this premise ( the gliding cape is theoretically possible but in real life Batman would need space to reduce speed before landing, or he would really hurt himself, and the way he catches a falling Joker with a grapple and pulls him up - pretty much impossible. Dent's facial injuries aren't realistic, and he would have died from infection in a day or two, but his rampage is pretty short lived so it's not too hard to accept). In TDK this is not done so skillfully.

It's not that Batman is necessarily doing more outrageous or impossible **** than in previous films, but the storytelling isn't as well done so as an audience we get a bit put out.

For me, Bane's voice simply didn't work - too muffled and a bizarre acting choice. The mask was creepy enough but there was no reason to create the sound in the way they did ( V for Vendetta and Star Wars prove that masks are no issue re having an impressive voice in film). Similarly, Marion Cotillard is a world class actress, yet her death scene is more painful for the audience, poor direction and storytelling, uncharacteristic for Nolan.

The cops in the sewers premise suffers from both real world physics and story point problems, and as an audience we struggle with it. I can accept Harvey Dent going on a rampage for a few hours with horrific injuries ( although I accept his speech would be much less clear) but beardless cops in sewers for 5 months, that's just silly.

In contrast, Bruce Wayne returning to Gotham in secret I can live with - he's a ninja and a former billionaire, so him having the skills and resources to sneak into Gotham is plausible.

My biggest struggle is Batman's heroic sacrifice- because the timeframe is just too short for him to make safe distance - had Nolan set that scene up a little differently then it would be at least plausible that he could save the city, much less survive the explosion and get back to land safely.

I've digressed a bit, apologies.

Anyway, agree to disagree I guess.

For me, Bane's voice simply didn't work - too muffled and a bizarre acting choice. The mask was creepy enough but there was no reason to create the sound in the way they did ( V for Vendetta and Star Wars prove that masks are no issue re having an impressive voice in film). Similarly, Marion Cotillard is a world class actress, yet her death scene is more painful for the audience, poor direction and storytelling, uncharacteristic for Nolan.

The cops in the sewers premise suffers from both real world physics and story point problems, and as an audience we struggle with it. I can accept Harvey Dent going on a rampage for a few hours with horrific injuries ( although I accept his speech would be much less clear) but beardless cops in sewers for 5 months, that's just silly.

In contrast, Bruce Wayne returning to Gotham in secret I can live with - he's a ninja and a former billionaire, so him having the skills and resources to sneak into Gotham is plausible.

My biggest struggle is Batman's heroic sacrifice- because the timeframe is just too short for him to make safe distance - had Nolan set that scene up a little differently then it would be at least plausible that he could save the city, much less survive the explosion and get back to land safely.

I'm sorry but this all just super-nitpicky to me, especially the part about the 'beardless cops' because during the montage, Bane's men are shown passing down supplies to the police. The bomb escape scene is honestly pretty simple to me, He ejected from the bat before it even left the city. The shot of him inside it before it cuts to the countdown clock is just a usual Nolan editing trick. We have talked about Bane before but I stand firm on my opinion, It's an example of a good over-the-top villain portrayal and it definitely works better than most other comic book movie villains you could name.

I often find myself wondering if a TDK sequel was made with the same kinds of leaps in logic Rises had but began with Batman fighting crime as a fugitive vigilante, had the villain be the Riddler and ended with Bruce resigning himself to the idea that he has to protect Gotham as Batman until the day he dies. Would they draw as much the attention as this movie and would they be used as criticisms to put the movie down as much in comparison to the other two? I have my doubts honestly. I find quite a lot of fans tend to mistake a "story not being told well" with "not following the blueprint I laid out in my head for it". I've no doubt many will disagree and that's perfectly fine but I just can't help but feel this way.

I'm sorry but this all just super-nitpicky to me, especially the part about the 'beardless cops' because during the montage, Bane's men are shown passing down supplies to the police. The bomb escape scene is honestly pretty simple to me, He ejected from the bat before it even left the city. The shot of him inside it before it cuts to the countdown clock is just a usual Nolan editing trick. We have talked about Bane before but I stand firm on my opinion, It's an example of a good over-the-top villain portrayal and it definitely works better than most other comic book movie villains you could name.

I often find myself wondering if a TDK sequel was made with the same kinds of leaps in logic Rises had but began with Batman fighting crime as a fugitive vigilante, had the villain be the Riddler and ended with Bruce resigning himself to the idea that he has to protect Gotham as Batman until the day he dies. Would they draw as much the attention as this movie and would they be used as criticisms to put the movie down as much in comparison to the other two? I have my doubts honestly. I find quite a lot of fans tend to mistake a "story not being told well" with "not following the blueprint I laid out in my head for it". I've no doubt many will disagree and that's perfectly fine but I just can't help but feel this way.

I just watched the bomb clip on YouTube.

We very clearly see Batman in the cockpit as the Bat clears the skyscrapers and approaches the bridge.

The bat then clears the shoreline and heads out to sea, the shot then cuts to Batman in the cockpit.

We have a shot of him in the cockpit which then cuts to the ocean for about five seconds, and then to the bomb, which has 5 seconds left on the timer. Cut back to Blake on the bridge for about 2 seconds and then boom.

There are plenty of ways to shoot that - including not cutting to Batman 5 seconds before the bomb explodes, or otherwise misdirecting the audience that make it plausible that he escaped. Instead showing him in the cockpit establishes that he's in the Bat without sufficient time to escape, unless he can outrun a nuclear blast ( although I'm assuming the detonation was below the water's surface )- Claiming it's some sort of "editing trick " is not a particularly convincing explanation. I submit that this is more than a nitpick.

The more plausible explanation is that Nolan got this one wrong. I love his films but he's not perfect. TDKR had a bunch of big and interesting ideas, but for whatever reason this time his reach exceeded his grasp ( as Tesla says in the Prestige).

And for good villain portrayals - well okay at least better than Bane there's Cate Blanchett as Hela, Josh Brolin as Thanos, Heath Ledger and Joaquin Phoenix as the Joker, Ian McKellen and Michael Fassbender as Magneto, Tom Hiddleston as Loki,
Michael Keaton as Vulture, Jake Gyllenhaal as Mysterio, Jude Law as Yon Rogg, Kevin Bacon as Sebastian Shaw, Daniel Bruhl as Zemo......I could keep going. Admittedly, there have been some cbm villains worse than Bane, like Malekith, Steppenwolf, Lex Luthor and Ronan the Accuser, but at least I could understand what they were saying when I was in the cinema - I won tickets to the premiere of TDKR, and down here it opened a full day and a half before anywhere else, and all through it I kept thinking " I bet that would sound really badass if it wasn't so muffled" the Blackgate speech, especially where his voice breaks is almost unintentionally hilarious.

I respect your opinion about Bane and I will admit that his beatdown of Batman was pretty chilling, despite the " phantom punch" and that Hardy had terrific physical presence as Bane - but utterly failed with the vocalization.

Last edited:
I love Tom Hardy in general, but he's a weird actor and makes all kinds of weird acting choices all the time, and sometimes he gets away with them and sometimes he doesn't. IMO Nolan should have shut down that crazy Bane voice he pulled out of his ass.

Honestly thought that voice was the one thing the character had going for him, stylistically. Otherwise he was just bland.

I love Tom Hardy in general, but he's a weird actor and makes all kinds of weird acting choices all the time, and sometimes he gets away with them and sometimes he doesn't. IMO Nolan should have shut down that crazy Bane voice he pulled out of his ass.

Well first that's hilarious :lmao::lmao::lmao: I have this image in my mind of Jim Carrey talking out of his ass while dressed as Bane " You have my permission to fart !" Yeah some of his choices dont quite come off, I found his Mad Max kind of bland - compared to the characters around him.

Honestly thought that voice was the one thing the character had going for him, stylistically. Otherwise he was just bland.

Funny you say that, I'm the opposite. I think he had the body language and swaggering walk ( as well as the bulk) that was perfect - but the voice let him down. It would be like Darth Vader, with Michael Caine doing the voice.

Ah well, there you go. Cheers.

If you don't like Bane voice, I don't trust anything you say.

Well on that note, Covid 19 is not a big deal, Brexit is a great idea and Donald Trump has been the best American President of All time. Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"