State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Panic Room is the only Fincher movie I liked (I have not seen Gone Girl).

I think Alien3 is worse than Resurrection or AvP.

Panic Room is the only Fincher movie I liked (I have not seen Gone Girl).

I think Alien3 is worse than Resurrection or AvP.
I don't think you will enjoy Gone Girl, so I recommend sticking to not watching it.

Alien 3 is the underrated entry in the franchise. I've seen the Assembly Cut, never the incomplete cut.
Resurrection is the first bad movie in that franchise, but I'd consider watching it before trying to watch either one of the prequels.

I think Gone Girl might be his best film. I’m a big Fincher fan overall.

I don’t know how controversial this is, but I think MAGNUM FORCE is a legitimate masterpiece and a perfect sequel because it’s the perfect next step in Harry’s character arc. Having the rogue cop fight rogue cops makes the characterization of Harry Callahan more complex than most give it credit for. We learn more about Harry Callahan through his monologue at the end of Magnum Force(where he describes his hatred for the system, but how he’ll defend it until someone makes a better system) than we do throughout all of DIRTY HARRY imo.

Oh I forgot about Panic Room. Add that to my list.

I do think Se7en, The Game and The Social Network (and TGwtDT) are OK but just OK, don't see reasons for idolization, disliked Zodiac and Benjamin Button and hated Fight Club.

With Alien3 I thought the characters were too unlikeable (I guess that was intentional but went too far and also seemed to want us to mostly give them a pass) and both the action and horror felt inevitable and repetitive/obvious (from the previous films or horror films in general, while on the other hand "action movie without guns" felt trying too hard to be different) and boring. Alien 4 knew it was pretty tired and/or cliched but had some fun and energy in knowingly re-doing elements from the previous films or general cliches.

I love Zodiac, The Social Network, Dragon Tattoo, Se7en and Fight Club.
Panic Room, Gone Girl and The Game are fine entertainers.
Alien 3, Benjamin Button - ugh.

Can't believe I forgot Social Network. That and Alien 3 are the only Fincher films I like.

I considered watching Benjamin Button a few times, but I kept forgetting it exists.
With Alien3 I thought the characters were too unlikeable (I guess that was intentional but went too far and also seemed to want us to mostly give them a pass) and both the action and horror felt inevitable and repetitive/obvious (from the previous films or horror films in general, while on the other hand "action movie without guns" felt trying too hard to be different) and boring.
Really? Outside the warden and the moment nameless prisoners tried to gang rape Ellen Ripley characters seem charming and interestingly nice. But it's true that the movie retreaded old grounds.

I don't know how unpopular this is, but:

After rewatching all three of them for the first time in about 15 years, I have to say that the first Blade film is the best of the trilogy, but none of them are that good. Blade Trinity is the worst of them (most will agree there), but Blade II isn't much better. Guillermo Del Toro went on to bigger and better things for sure. What really makes them worth watching is Wesley Snipes and a few of the supporting cast performances, like Kris Kristofferson in all three, Stephen Dorff in the first film, Ron Perlman and Norman Reedus in Blade II and Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool lite Hannibal King in Trinity.

I give the first movie credit for being Marvel's first box office success and for not being a complete laughing stock during a period of CBMs like Batman & Robin and Steel, but they haven't really aged well at all.

That being said, the line "Some mother****ers are always trying to ice skate uphill" is Oscar-worthy.

One of the things I liked the most about <i>Gone Girl</i>, specially the first time I saw it, was that you had no idea if Ben Affleck's character was being truthful or not.

Even if people don’t like Gone Girl, that was a damn near perfect adaptation of the book. It helped, of course, that Gillian Flynn wrote they screenplay, but Fincher did a great job adapting the book. Much better than he did with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

How can you even make an argument out of it when one was just a non-speaking, 3 second cameo in a mid-credits stinger and nothing more?
I already stated earlier in the thread how I make that argument. If it was a nonspeaking, 3 second cameo why not just CGI the entire thing? Why even have an actor stand-in?

And that's what I mean. Since they went ahead to have an actor stand-in for the role, that actor should have owned it for the entire franchise since he was already portraying the character.

I don't know how unpopular this is, but:

After rewatching all three of them for the first time in about 15 years, I have to say that the first Blade film is the best of the trilogy, but none of them are that good. Blade Trinity is the worst of them (most will agree there), but Blade II isn't much better. Guillermo Del Toro went on to bigger and better things for sure. What really makes them worth watching is Wesley Snipes and a few of the supporting cast performances, like Kris Kristofferson in all three, Stephen Dorff in the first film, Ron Perlman and Norman Reedus in Blade II and Ryan Reynolds' Deadpool lite Hannibal King in Trinity.

I give the first movie credit for being Marvel's first box office success and for not being a complete laughing stock during a period of CBMs like Batman & Robin and Steel, but they haven't really aged well at all.

That being said, the line "Some mother****ers are always trying to ice skate uphill" is Oscar-worthy.

Dude.

I agree with you about the Blade films being pretty average but interestingly for utterly different reasons. I feel like Snipes (after the first film ) is one of the most boring things about the film. Kristofferson is pretty dull as well. I'm in the minority about Trinity ( that's one of my unpopular opinions) because I enjoy it the most although mostly because of Reynolds being so goofy and Biel being so hot and badass.

That being said, the ice skating line..... can't decide whether its genius or the dumbest line in movie history. Nobody tries to ice skate uphill.

Anyway, not saying you're wrong, just find the difference in opinions interesting.

Blade Trinity is the worst of them (most will agree there), but Blade II isn't much better.

Not a lot of depth but very entertaining action and effects and involving-enough story and acting make II much better than Trinity, I think even better than the first. Trinity, it's amazing how formulaic it all so quickly became and how little effort the actors were putting in.

Eric Bana = Great Hulk

Mark Ruffalo = Okay Hulk (at best)

Edward Norton = Lame Hulk.

Nero in Star Trek is a terrible villain, maybe Eric Bana's worst performance.

Is that an unpopular opinion ? I remember seeing ST and Bana being outstanding....outstandingly TERRIBLE. Nero was a bunch of cliches wrapped up in a performance that manages to be OTT and underwhelming at the same time ! I can't think of a worse Eric Bana performance either !

Not a lot of depth but very entertaining action and effects and involving-enough story and acting make II much better than Trinity, I think even better than the first. Trinity, it's amazing how formulaic it all so quickly became and how little effort the actors were putting in.

I don't think we can begrudge Blade films for being formulaic, I mean he's a vampire hunter right so the scope of the story is always going to be limited by that.

It's kind of like the Jurassic park films, the common denominator is that sooner or later they turn into long sequences of running away from Dinosaurs, which limits the scope of the story somewhat.

As for effort I must disagree. Biel and Reynolds got into killer shape for that movie, it was the start of real physical roles for Reynolds - and he's absolutely hilarious in it.
Snipes is a bit bonkers, staying in character between takes. I think he was really trying- in his own crazy way.

The evil Vampires were mostly just mediocre actors, so it's less about lack of effort and more about lack of talent.

I must be the only person on this thread who enjoyed Trinity- I still watch it once in a while, just for laughs ( which you can't do with the first film).

Is that an unpopular opinion ? I remember seeing ST and Bana being outstanding....outstandingly TERRIBLE. Nero was a bunch of cliches wrapped up in a performance that manages to be OTT and underwhelming at the same time ! I can't think of a worse Eric Bana performance either !

Over the top and underwhelming at the same time is a good way to put it.

Over the top and underwhelming at the same time is a good way to put it.

Cheers. Somehow he managed to be hammy and loud but also completely unconvincing. TBH I think that JJ underperforms when it comes to directing villains. I thought Kylo Ren was an absolutely pathetic villain. It's hard to be menacing when you throw temper tantrums and constantly sound like you're going to cry.

I suppose Cumberbatch does a pretty good turn as the villain in ST ID but then it would be hard to find a poor Cumberbatch performance- the guy can do a lot with a little.

I suppose Cumberbatch does a pretty good turn as the villain in ST ID but then it would be hard to find a poor Cumberbatch performance- the guy can do a lot with a little.

Haha, "Cumberbatch does a lot with a little" is a literal quote from by ST: ID review.

Eric Bana = Great Hulk

Mark Ruffalo = Okay Hulk (at best)

Edward Norton = Lame Hulk.
It saddens me to say I disagree with this post after the first statement. All three of them are great for what they've got to play, and those who played the character in solo films are very underrated.

Norton is my personal favorite, and I love his movie a lot. Ruffalo had the better fortune of taking part in better and more lucrative movies, I especially love his role in Ragnarok and Endgame.

Both Hulk and the Incredible Hulk are underrated movies that got too much hate I don't agree with.

The Incredible Hulk is so forgettable I literally forget it exists when counting MCU movies most of the time, and Ruffalo is easily my favorite Banner.

I just don't think Norton ever does a convincing job of appearing troubled or emotionally volatile in any of his roles, save for American History X. And let's face it, it doesn't take subtlety or nuance to play a neo-nazi like the one in that movie.

I'm honestly amazed that he kept getting handed such deliciously neurotic and complicated characters like Banner or Will Graham in Red Dragon. Both characters require a certain measure of danger or edge to their performances, and he just never manages to bring it. He's so bland and ineffectual seeming in those roles.

Meanwhile I look at Eric Bana's Bruce Banner and I'm amazed at the palpable amount of tension and anger that seems to be bottled up inside him. I'm even more amazed that he's regularly seen as the lesser of the three cinematic Hulks. Imo he was perfectly cast.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"