State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Have to disagree Aziz. The Road Warrior is like, a borderline masterpiece. Thunderdome was garbage.
Why is it that people find this an obligation? It's amusing. :hehe:

My lack of love for this trilogy gives me no room to argue, I think they are both pretty good movies for what they attempted to do, neither one pleased me as I wanted it to.

Not liking Sharon Stone's performance is the one argument that at least makes sense to me. If you don't like the lead, clearly that's an issue for the film. I think they are being a bit harsh when they say she's awful though. In particular, I really liked the dinner table scene with her and Hackman. As for being cliche, that's kind of the point. It is a direct homage to the Spaghetti Westerns of the 60s. From the performances, to the costumes, to the camera work, to the music, that's all very deliberate. If that's the case it is almost like it was punished for not being a deconstruction of the genre like Unforgiven (still in recent memory).
She isn't awful. She just failed to do anything to help her dull and uninteresting character. Also, being a collection of homages to spaghetti westerns doesn't make it a good film. It's borderline saved by supporting actors mostly. In my opinion, it's an OK film. To watch and forget sort.

I like The Quick and the Dead, but literally everyone else in it is better than Sharon Stone, and her character is so dull it holds things back a bit. Gene Hackman is great though.

Also I like Mad Max Fury Road better than any older Mad Max movie.

Reactions: NDX
Also I like Mad Max Fury Road better than any older Mad Max movie.
Is that unpopular? Well, I agree. It's EASILY the best, imo. The others were cool for what they were, but Fury Road was on a whole other level.

I like The Quick and the Dead, but literally everyone else in it is better than Sharon Stone, and her character is so dull it holds things back a bit. Gene Hackman is great though.
Besides Mooseport which I haven't seen it and maybe prompted his retirement, Gene Hackman has always been great, I think (ok, not a big fan of his Luthor either :))
Another Raimi film that I feel is even more underrated and perhaps slightly better is The Gift, great Keanu Reeves villain in it :)

The Road Warrior/Fury Road
Mad Max
Thunderdome

Sharon Stone wasn't very memorable in TQATD, but she is still a fantastic actress, see her work with Verhoeven and Scorsese.

Besides Mooseport which I haven't seen it and maybe prompted his retirement, Gene Hackman has always been great, I think (ok, not a big fan of his Luthor either :))
Another Raimi film that I feel is even more underrated and perhaps slightly better is The Gift, great Keanu Reeves villain in it :)

The Road Warrior/Fury Road
Mad Max
Thunderdome

Sharon Stone wasn't very memorable in TQATD, but she is still a fantastic actress, see her work with Verhoeven and Scorsese.

The Gift is a good one too. Cate Blanchett is excellent in it (as usual).

Opinions are starting to level out on Homecoming, but I think it's a fine MCU film-it just isn't really emotional like the Raimi films were. I can't really recall a scene that feels on the same level as "the great thing about MJ" or "there's a hero in all of us" or even the moment in Spider-Man 3 when a certain character dies.

I think Homecoming is definitely well-made, it just doesn't have "the magic" that the first two films had. It feels like an assembly-line Marvel piece, albeit one with good structure and humor.

Homecoming has no emotional depth.

Which is little bit of a shame, as Holland can play more serious dramatic scenes if they ever give him the chance.

I prefer Road Warrior. Better story, better characters and a better Max. Both did similar things but I think on a story level, Road Warrior did it better. I just couldn't fully get engaged by a lot of Fury Road. Technically and directing wise it's phenomenal. I'm just sad I'm not on the boat with everyone on that one.

Granted it's been a long time since I watched Road Warrior, but that stayed with me more. Fury Road just didn't leave much of a lasting impression other than it's amazing action. It'll go down as the best action film of the decade but I'd put the last three Mission: Impossiboe movies over it.

Donald Pleasance is not good in the Halloween movies. Hamming all over the place with a really bad American accent.

It's skillfully directed, but the acting is so, so bad. From everyone involved, including Donald Pleasance and Jamie Lee Curtis, but especially from her friends. It's almost a relief when they get offed, because they cannot act their way out of a paper bag.

I can't even put why I think it's overrated. I like the film alright. It was a major influence on the slasher genre. It's well-made. But when I hear "best movie ever", "greatest horror film of all time", I just don't quite understand where it comes from. I never found it that scary either.

I can probably count on one hand the moments in the original Halloween I found legitimately creepy. For some reason the opening where they drive up on the inmates wandering around aimlessly in the rain spooks me out. Then the little moments like Laurie looking out the window and seeing Michael staring at her, or when he hides behind the hedgerow, etc.

Lastly, when she's trapped in the closet and he's barging his way in, and the lightbulb is flickering off and on over his mask. For some reason it's a creepy effect to me.

But yea, it got way overhyped to me as the scariest movie ever before I saw it, and then I was a little disappointed.

Granted I don't want to belittle the film. It's a horror classic still. But for me Exorcist, Jaws, The Thing, Body Snatchers '78 and a bunch of other horror films from that time give more scares than Halloween ever did.

I think the focus on the fact that (at the time) we hadn't had that kind of horror film, a suburban 'nightmare', a claustrophobic driven, central focus on a low budget, it was the 'effect' of the film making style and ability shown by 'what you could do' rather than the dependency on scares alone driving a horror through it's denouement, Carpenter showed that it was possible to get the results required with a film that was 'rough round the edges' but actually one that was a one-man film school in how to present terror with the use of the camera on a very low, self sustaining budget rather than studio dependency.

The Thing is mentioned as one that is thought of as 'more scary' during the golden age (mid 70's - mid 80's), The Thing is Carpenter with a budget and lo & behold, he is a genius with or without a load of money, that is why he is a master, he is driven by story, character and suspense in horror, not what and how we can jump scare or splatter fest you into fear.

This is unpopular?

"Luke is mistreated" is the main reason Star Wars "fans" hate The Last Jedi.

In fact according to Star Wars fans, everything single thing after Return of the Jedi sucks

The first Halloween is highly overrated in general.

It's definitely the scariest of the big 3 slashers (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th)

But I think Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th had the better series in general (even tho most of the sequels suck anyway)

It's definitely the scariest of the big 3 slashers (Halloween, Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th)

But I think Nightmare on Elm Street and Friday the 13th had the better series in general (even tho most of the sequels suck anyway)

I didn't find it scary at all aside from a couple of creepy moments. I mostly appreciate it on a technical level but it's nowhere near among my favorite horror movies. I think Nightmare On Elm Street is much better.

In fact according to Star Wars fans, everything single thing after Return of the Jedi sucks

According to many ROTJ sucks too. Not me though.

I like the OT (for the most part), The Force Awakens, and Rogue One.

Well, people here seem to indicate that the hate is from vocal minority and vast majority loved the film. Ergo, I'm not sure why "Luke is treated well" is in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"