State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah, I like Ruffalo the best as well, which is funny to me because when he was first announced I thought he seemed like a miscast. But he's great. Though I would agree that he hasn't been utilized particularly well since the first Avengers film. I did like him a lot in Ragnarok though.

Bana (who is really good in most things) just came off bland in Hulk. I don't think it was totally his fault; the writing in that movie was terrible for just about every character except Thunderbolt Ross (and maybe Nick Nolte, who I'm pretty sure was just improving the whole time lol). Norton had some good moments but that movie mostly felt like a dull rehash of the previous Hulk movie only with more influence from the TV show. Tim Roth was especially dull as the one-note villain.

Schlosser85 likes this.
  2. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

Tim Roth is dull and one-note (I blame the material, considering Roth is an all-time great movie villain in Rob Roy), and also William Hurt is totally sleepwalking as Ross. But then Hurt seems bored out of his mind most of the time.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  3. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Agreed. I was honestly shocked that they didn’t recast Ross when he showed up in Civil War; he was so meh in TIC. But I think he’s been a little better in more recent movies, maybe? It’s hard to say really because he’s just been in them sporadically and not making much impact.

4. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

Honestly, he just has walk-on roles in Civil War and Endgame, so it's hard to tell.

KRYPTON INC. and Deck Rickard like this.
  5. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah. It looks like his role is more substantial in Black Widow but who knows when we’ll see that movie.

Batmannerism likes this.
  6. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Hopefully it involves getting punched a lot, I would love to see that.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  7. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

William Hurt is the only remaining link to The Incredible Hulk in the MCU. Yes, we have Banner/Hulk himself but it's just not the same considering Ruffalo didn't play the role until Avengers. If Hurt had been recast then there really would have been no point in pretending that movie is still a part of the MCU. I think the only reason why Ross was at Tony's funeral was so they had a legitimate callback to TIH even though he also appeared in Civil War and Infinity War previously to that.

8. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

Loving all of this Hulk talk. :funny:

But it's a real damn shame that Hulk has been relegated to supporting roles. I think Whedon got Hulk, and Ruffalo's best performance is in Avengers and best utilized. I think he's the standout character in it. But I think after that, he never reached to his full potential, even though I quite like him AOU. I think he just sort of fits into whatever the following movies need him to be, which are just more fun. Fun Hulk is fine and all, but I would really love to see Hulk more horror based. I mean for God's sake he was inspired by the Frankenstein monster and Jekyll and Hyde.

Despite the anti-Communist propaganda of those early Hulk comics, the first issue really is more like a horror comic. He changes into Hulk at night, he's not green yet, and even the cover is eerie where he is called "The Strangest Man Of All Time." I always preferred Hulk as a more sad and tragic character. Hulk should be treated as a monster, not a super hero. A force of nature whose only side he is on is his and he'll only work with someone by happenstance or it's beneficial to him. Sort of like Godzilla.

Is anyone reading the current Al Ewing run? I'm absolutely in love with it and it's exactly what I would want out of Hulk. It's taken into account of years of Hulk's continuity but is in the prism of a more body horror comic. Banner has different Hulk personalities and it cleverly uses the fact that the Hulk has been killed off and brought back multiple times in comics as part of the thematic point. The fact that someone can't die is a horrifying nightmare that reflects into the horror of the rest of the world.

weezerspider likes this.
  9. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Unpopular opinion but I prefer Hulk as a supporting character. Honestly, after two bad Hulk movies, and a bunch of horrendous TV movies I saw when I was growing up, my interest in further solo Hulk adventures has pretty much died. Maybe a new film could reignite it (and it is a shame that Ruffalo hasn’t gotten one since he’s better than the other guys) but as of now, I’d be fine if he continued to only show up in team-up movies.

10. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I wish you felt differently man. I think what we've seen so far is the tip of the iceberg for this character. This is one of the times where I'd want to see Hulk as a TV show.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  11. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

You’re probably right; I think maybe it’s the fault of the movies that the territory they’ve explored with him hasn’t been that interesting (IMO). Maybe if I read more of his comics, I’d have a different view.

Doctor Jones likes this.
  12. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I definitely think that's the case. I highly recommend the current Al Ewing run. It's awesome. :up: Pick up the first trade to see if you're into it. Or the Peter David stuff.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  13. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Thanks, yeah I think I will. Got plenty of time these days to sit around the house and read!

Doctor Jones likes this.
  14. TheFlamingCoco Registered

^ I unironically think Bruce Wayne is a harder role to play than Batman. With Batman, a lot of what makes the character work are the aesthetics (a sleek suit, underexposed lighting)..but with Wayne, you have to play something that in universe could NEVER be Batman, but at the same time provide enough plausibility to the audience that he's CAPABLE of being Batman. I think Conroy's "just a nice guy who likes to party" is the best Wayne, followed by Bale's goofball interpretation. I really think Wayne is where even good Batmen (Keaton/Affleck) falter.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  15. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Given the recent death of Chadwick Boseman, similar to when Heath Ledger died there is a sentiment among fans to retire Boseman's character completely from the MCU as it stands now and to pass the mantle onto another character.

The MCU as it is now has also made a decision to more or less do the same with Steve Rogers and Tony Stark.

My take is... I think this is a mistake. I think that the characters and franchises should be bigger than the individuals that play the parts.

Spider-Aziz and Deck Rickard like this.
  16. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I agree. I think even especially Black Panther, what the character represents for a lot of people is bigger than any one person. And I feel like Chadwick would agree.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  17. Batmannerism Super-unknown

I agree that Black Panther should continue as a Marvel Character. I'm sure Boseman would have wanted that because the character stands for so many important things.

I feel like it's very early to discuss recasting, but having seen John Washington in Tenet, he could pull off Tchalla easily.

Spider-Aziz and Deck Rickard like this.
  18. Doctor Jones shocked and baffled

I think Black Panther is too important to retire. And it needs to be T'Challa. We can't afford to lack a black male character like that in cinema, particularly one so historical like Black Panther who really kickstarted things. The only way is to recast.

I've only thought about it once as to whom, but even then I'm still not as comfortable thinking about it.

19. Guts Smug

Don't know how unpopular this is. But I think the best Philip K Dick adaptation is A Scanner Darkly.

20. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I agree that T’Challa should be allowed to continue as a character. I trust Marvel to find a worthy successor to the role. It’s not the same as retiring Iron Man and Cap, because their stories have ended. They had multiple movies to tell a complete arc. Perhaps if Chadwick had passed away after the completion of a BP trilogy and some appearances in other films, then I might be okay with retiring the character. But while he’s had some small appearances in Avengers films, his most substantial roles were in one solo film and in Civil War. There is still a lot to do with the character and it’s not fair to suddenly just end the story. And how would it be handled? Killing the character offscreen feels like a lousy move. Or using CGI to create a death scene would also feel kind of terrible. The character is groundbreaking and important, and a new actor needs to be able to take it on, especially when you consider that there are still far too few bug budget films with black male leads.

Spider-Aziz and Schlosser85 like this.
  21. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Hmm... I would probably argue against it's overall quality as movie myself but it is trying to do something beyond a mere straight up and mundane adaptation of Dick's work. And... I don't appreciate the end product all that much, I cannot dismiss that no other adaptation has so fully captured the flavor of what Dick gives on the printed page. Dick is often, and I bet fans would say too often, loosely adapted on sceen. A concept, a name... That's what has usually survived in going from page to a live action film. A SCANNER DARKLY is very much like tripping acid and communing with Dick's spirit.

Again... For myself I need more but I appreciated at least that the creators were so balls to wall commited to making it a dance of images as would happen when you would pick up a Dick novela.

Guts likes this.
  22. Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

I never thought I would watch the Justice League movie but Red Letter Media made a commentary for it, so what do you know? I didn’t really watch the movie per se but I can say the one thing that I liked about it was the scene where Clark and Bruce are standing next to each other and Clark is wearing a winter jacket and Bruce Wayne is wearing like a suit. That was cool.

23. Blitzkrieg Bop Fight Owens Fight

Since Sony is still making a Spider-Man Cinematic Universe, I cant wait till they make the Uncle Ben prequel. We need to be told that Uncle Ben was a good guy, how else are we supposed to know Peter loved him? There can be a scene when little Peter is scared of a spider and Uncle Ben can tell him that spiders are actually pretty neat and helpful. Uncle Ben can be all badass, working for SHIELD, but then a horrific accident leaves him with four metal arms and he goes into hiding with amnesia for 15 years. Then he returns as Dr Octopus and leads the Sinister Six in Spider-Man: Uncle Ben is Home.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  24. Bruce Wayne Let's get nuts!

25. Speed Force thwip

Airplane is not good or funny. At all.