State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

I felt indifferent towards the Iron Giant, I seem to feel indifferent toward a lot of human kid and giant creature friend movies.
    I did like Bumblee though, and still love How to Train Your Dragon trilogy. With HTTYD (this acronym looks too much like http:/) I think the appeal to me is that the secret creature is of the same species as other creatures family of the protagonist normally interact with, and we see how the protagonist learns how to treat the rest of the kind and is pretty creative, so it's more than just "Secret new creature, protagonist must keep it a secret and act awkward around everyone else".

Now on to the thing I wanted to talk about coming here, and the previous stuff interestingly make for a good segway to what I want to say:
    I seem to love prison drama. I've rewatched the Shawshank Redemption yesterday and it's as great as ever, and I even enjoy Escape Plan (not going to watch any of the sequels). Some of my favorite superhero stories involve prison, that happened to me since my childhood with Attack of the Arachnoid from Spider-Man & his Amazing Friends still being my favorite animated Spider-Man story, and the episode Opening Night from Spectacular Spider-Man animated coming as a close second.

My favorite Alien movie is Alien 3:Assembly Cut (not the original, which I hear is underdeveloped and is poorly structured fluff). I seem to enjoy it more as a prison drama than I do as a creature drama.

Bruce Wayne likes this.
  2. Herofan Registered

To me it felt pretty one-note-pretentious and bordering on irrelevant, that Cold War militarism/paranoia was bad, most people already agree at least about the paranoia.

I hate when Star Wars fans attack Annie Hall for beating it in the Oscars, they are both great, excellent films.

#1052 Herofan, Dec 21, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
    Spider-Aziz likes this.
  3. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Has anyone really complained about that in about 40 years or so give or take?

Schlosser85 likes this.
  4. Batmannerism Super-unknown

IMO the original cinematic version of Blade Runner, with the Harrison Ford voice overs, is the best.

The comments he makes remind me of a world weary detective from an old noir thriller.

Also, they humanize his character and make him a bit more relatable, and lighten the tone just a little.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  5. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

I’ve never seen that version but I would be interested to, just to see if it’s as bad as some many people say or if, like you say, it makes the movie better.

It makes me think of another film with two versions, and the theatrical one being the one with voiceovers: Payback. I’ve never seen the voiceover-free director’s cut, but I’ve heard that it’s better than the theatrical one. I’m not sure if I would agree though, because Gibson’s monologues throughout that film are great, IMO. It gives it that old timey noir film like you said about Blade Runner. Without that I’m not sure if the movie is as enjoyable. But I have to watch it to be sure.

Batmannerism likes this.
  6. Herofan Registered

I like Dan Castellaneta as the Genie in The Return of Jafar a lot, I like him better than Robin Williams in Aladdin and the King of Thieves.

7. Drizzle There's no knowing where we're rowing

I just watched Spotlight for the first time. It was the last Best Picture winner of the 2010s that I hadn't seen yet. Overall, it's a great film with some excellent performances but I'm really scratching my head as to how it won over The Revenant. Still, I wouldn't consider it the most undeserving Best Picture winner of the last decade. For me, that's Green Book.

8. flickchick85 Admin of Might

I MUCH preferred Spotlight over the Revenant. But then, I hated The Revenant, lol.

But yeah Green Book is by far the least-deserving winner in quite some time, imo.

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  9. Flint Marko Bring me Thanos (P)

I’ve seen Spotlight at least a dozen times now. It’s a near perfect movie IMO.

moviedoors and flickchick85 like this.
  10. Herofan Registered

I was unimpressed with Spotlight (good but not exceptional), it seemed pretentious in so much homaging All the President's Men and also trying to ignore that shows like Law & Order had dramatized priest sexual abuse 20 years before.

11. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

Spotlight and The Revenant are both very well-done, IMO.

I enjoyed Green Book but I agree it wasn't Best Picture material.

Deck Rickard and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  12. flickchick85 Admin of Might

Yeah it's shockingly rewatchable considering its disturbing subject matter. Procedural movies like that and Zodiac that showcase the nitty gritty "mundane" leg work and manage to capture the thrill of unraveling a mystery and the power a tiny piece of information can hold are just...my exact cup o' tea.

13. DyeLorean will return

I liked that Green Book won. Every year there's talk about 'comedy in the Oscars never wins anything', and Green Book was a comedy as much as it was a road drama. I, for one, am glad that it won over the same depressing boring stuff year after year.
    I guess that's my unpopular opinion. Besides, I really really liked that movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

14. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I think your sense of what pretentious is in your mind is decidedly not what the rest of us consider it to be.

"You keep using that word..."

And... TV shows with original yet fictionalized versions that mirror but are not based upon documentary evidence is just not in the same league in any way to a big budget production with an all star cast that is also actually based on real life events.

I'm also head scratching about why L/O doing some stories "ripped from the headlines" even matters?

flickchick85 and Schlosser85 like this.
  15. Ninjablade This is heavy

I just watched Looper for the first time. I do not understand how it gets all kinds of praise. The first two minutes are cool, but everything after that goes downhill, and by the end it's complete garbage.

JGL's performance is probably the only thing I liked.

Spider-Aziz and Deck Rickard like this.
  16. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah I wasn’t a big fan either. So much of it made no sense. Like, they really were able to find this many guys who are willing to die at 55? That’s not very old, lol. And the whole thing with his friend that they DISMEMBER so that the older version will return to them was ridiculous. If you don’t want the old guy running around, then just kill the young version (which they ended up doing anyway). The performances are good but the movie (like so many time travel stories) has too many plot holes.

Spider-Aziz and Ninjablade like this.
  17. DyeLorean will return

This might not be unpopular but I'll say it anyway: the special effects in Black Panther really take me out of the movie. I saw it again last night because I remember not liking it as much. Wakanda and the settings and all that look great, but Black Panther's movements are so damn cartoony. Specially, of course, that dreadful third act that looks straight from 2002. I don't usually talk about CGi, I don't really care, but in this film in particular I think it diminishes its quality significantly.
    I know they didn't have enough time because much of their effort was into Infinity War, but I thought maybe they were going to improve the effects for the Blu-Ray release. Oh no. It still looks terrible.

Spider-Aziz and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  18. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I have always chalked that up to the crunch time combined with Coogler's relative inexperience with big budget filmmaking at the time with those aspects of BP.

The faults in the VFX don't kill it for me but it does "objectivily" knock off some points overall. Luckily it was more than fine in all the other ways a movie in general should excel, perhaps especially for a Marvel CBM.

The broad appeal approach never undercuts the characters or drama and while there is focus given over to world building and spectacle for the most part the character's struggles and relationships never seem besides the point in a big blockbuster and in my opinion stay sharp and at center stage in the viewers' minds.

But there is no denying that far too often the VFX was not given either the time or budget to deliver the level of craftsmanship if you will to realize the director's vision. I totally get having that dampen one's enthusiasm for the movie and given how widespread that criticism is of the film and how profitable it was you would think subsequent releases by now would have fixed the obvious VFX shortcomings.

19. DyeLorean will return

That's true. It tackled more serious themes than other MCU films perhaps. The main problem with the CGi is that it took me out of the movie. It's a terrible thing that could happen to any movie, where you are just disconnected, I wasn't thinking 'oh no, they are fighting for Wakanda!' (or whatever) I was more like cringing and thinking 'this looks horrible'.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  20. Deck Rickard Dovahkiin

Yeah, I agree with all of that. I love the film but the CGI rhinos on the final battle look soooo fake lol. I also think it was a mistake to change up BP’s costume. It looked AMAZING in Civil War and it looked more like a practical suit that could protect him. His costume in BP looked like Under Armor with a layer of CGI over it. Really don’t understand why they felt a need to “improve” upon one of their best costume designs to date.

21. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

I didn't like how the suit in BP showed his eyes.

Civil War really nailed everybody. Black Panther and Spider-Man were nailed better in Civil War than in their own solo movies.

22. DyeLorean will return

Yeah. That need to constantly change the looks and the suits are usually for the best (Cap, Falcon, Hawkeye, Thor) but sometimes they really need to settle on a design. Black Panther's look in Civil War is gorgeous and the new one feels... thin? weak? like a big layer of CGi? I never really liked the "suits and helmets that materialize from nothing".

23. Spider-Aziz Boards made me cry

VFX in the climax of Black Panther are notably underwhelming, most particularly the battle of cousins on the train track, but I'm happy that it doesn't take me off the experience.

I hated that movie, couldn't finish it. I felt confused seeing JGL shooting his future self at one point, and then seeing his future self punching him the next time he tries to shoot him.
    I read about the twist ending weeks after quitting the movie, and chugged it to random BS that makes no sense.

Speaking of Bruce Willis in time travel movies; I honestly dislike Twelve Monkeys and think it's weird. Brad Pitt's character could have been fun, but he was more annoying than pleasant.

Batmannerism and Ninjablade like this.
  24. Schlosser85 A Very Stable Genius

Just because you don't bother finishing a movie or paying enough attention to understand it doesn't make it random BS that makes no sense.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  25. DyeLorean will return

Interesting, I had a 180° experience with Twelve Monkeys. I disliked it heavily when I first watched it (a long, long time ago). And I saw it again a couple of years ago and I changed my mind almost entirely, I think is a great movie. Same thing happened to me with The Big Lebowski. Just one of those things I can't explain.

Spider-Aziz likes this.