State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Dark Phoenix, although a failure as an adaptation of the beloved comic saga, it isnt as big a failure as Last Stand, and overall isn't completely terrible.

It's not a good movie, but not the worst X film.

I give it a 5/10. I would rather watch it than Batman v Superman or the Whedon Justice League.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but Kevin Costner's Draft Day is underrated. I don't care about football that much and I found the film really gripping.

Not sure if this is unpopular, but Kevin Costner's Draft Day is underrated. I don't care about football that much and I found the film really gripping.

Yeah I liked that movie too. Costner was great and it had Chadwick Boseman in a nice little role. Even Tom Welling(!) was good in it. The only thing that rubbed me the wrong way was Costner and Jennifer Garner as a couple seemed kinda icky with the age difference.

Dark Phoenix, although a failure as an adaptation of the beloved comic saga, it isnt as big a failure as Last Stand, and overall isn't completely terrible.

It's not a good movie, but not the worst X film.
I haven't seen that movie since the theater, but while I was watching it I clearly remember thinking "hey, this isn't so bad!". I actually enjoyed it for what it was, it felt smaller, much closer to the original and a good change of pace after Apocalypse.

Psycho '98 isn't that bad, terrible compared to the original film and pretty bad for Macy but otherwise an understandable disappointment rather than a huge, terrible embarrassment.

I don't understand how Expendables 3 wasn't a bigger hit being that it was considerably better than the other two. And also THAT CAST. Stallone, Jason Statham, Arnold Schwarzennegger, Jet Li, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes... holy f***.

I don't understand how Expendables 3 wasn't a bigger hit being that it was considerably better than the other two. And also THAT CAST. Stallone, Jason Statham, Arnold Schwarzennegger, Jet Li, Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, Antonio Banderas, Wesley Snipes... holy f***.

Honestly, I can barely remember it. It felt so bloated in terms of its cast that that blocked out any significant plot elements.

At least in Ex 2 Vam Damme plays a memorably insane and despicable adversary.

Ex3 kind of proves that no matter how huge your cast is, if you don't have a story that let's them shine, your film will still be ****.

People were tired of the series by that point. To this day, I still haven't seen Expendables 3 just because I had my fill with the first two. Same thing with Taken 3. It just felt like more of the same.

Older Pierce Brosnan would make for a much better Bond than his younger self.

Honestly, I can barely remember it. It felt so bloated in terms of its cast that that blocked out any significant plot elements.

At least in Ex 2 Vam Damme plays a memorably insane and despicable adversary.

Ex3 kind of proves that no matter how huge your cast is, if you don't have a story that let's them shine, your film will still be ****.

Yeah, Ex2 is the only one of those films I really like. Ex1 is okay but it tries to kinda be serious. The second one leaned into its concept more and embraced its silliness. That’s why I loved it. Plus it had more Arnold and Bruce and their scenes together were hilarious. The third one just sucked. The “new blood” characters were bland (Good God, someone send Rhonda Rousey to acting class if you’re going to keep putting her in movies or else just tell her to silently beat people up like in that Fast & Furious movie), and the rest was meh. It just felt like they played all their cards in the first two and didn’t know where to go after that.

Batman v Superman the Extended Cut really helped that film over its theatrical cut.

The Snyder Cut of Justice League was GLORIOUS! and everything I could have wanted and more!

Yeah, I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but WB really missed the chance to release the Snyder Cut as the first and only version and maybe, just maybe, the Snyderverse could have been alive and well. It was different enough from The Avengers to stand by itself. They really worried a little too much and they made a really bad call.

Yeah, I don't know if this is unpopular or not, but WB really missed the chance to release the Snyder Cut as the first and only version and maybe, just maybe, the Snyderverse could have been alive and well. It was different enough from The Avengers to stand by itself. They really worried a little too much and they made a really bad call.

In today's world I don't see a film of that length ( and let's be honest, a mostly niche market) getting a theatrical release.

Is it better than Josstice League - yes ! Is it good enough on it's own merits to appeal to the GA and make the **** load of money it would need to be worth a cinematic release? Not so sure.

No matter how you look at it, JL's central flaw is that it tries to do the work of at least 3 other movies and isnt ready for its massive cast of characters.

You can't compare it to Infinity War or Endgame because those films deals with already established characters.

To me the whole premise was flawed. But Snyder should have been allowed to make a solo Batman film, after Man of Steel, which would have suited his filmmaking style ( although no ****ing way should he be allowed to write it - because no one wants a Batman film that's as dumb as Army of the Dead).

I don't deny that Snyder has talents, but I feel like he needs strong collaboration to maximize them.

Yeah, Army of the Dead had one of the dumbest, most plot hole-ridden scripts I’ve ever seen. I thought I spotted all the f***-ups but watching the Honest Trailer and the Pitch Meeting video made me realize there was a ton of **** I missed during my viewing. There are so many plot holes and errors in judgment that they overlap so that right when you spot one, there is another one happening and you might miss it. It’s a fun movie (although strangely not as fun or action packed as one would expect) but it’s nowhere near a GOOD movie. It might have broken Netflix records but I think that’s because 1. we’re starved for content right now (I mean, look how well Godzilla vs. Kong did) and 2. Snyder films now have a built-in fanatical cult that comes with them.

If I had to watch Justice League again, I'd prefer to watch the theatrical version.
Me personally, I wouldn't put one over the other in terms of joy, both have enough silliness to make me want to watch more.
But it's easier to see why you'd rather watch the shorter film with some snappier lines and Barry talking to Victor about the two being accidents instead of how horny looking at Wonder Woman makes him feel while they're grave digging.

Batman v Superman the Extended Cut really helped that film over its theatrical cut.

The Snyder Cut of Justice League was GLORIOUS! and everything I could have wanted and more!
This is a place for unpopular opinions, so I wouldn't argue with/debate you here. But I will wish you a happy 10th Hype Anniversary a few days early.

I didnt realize I was in such a minority with this one but here it goes.

I loved Halloween by Rob Zombie. The Sequel was nowhere near as good but enjoyed his take and elements for the sequel.

Also, 3 From Hell was horrible. I enjoyed House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects but 3 From Hell was bad.

I loved Halloween by Rob Zombie. The Sequel was nowhere near as good but enjoyed his take and elements for the sequel.

I saw it quite recently (maybe last year) for the very first time and I really liked it aswell. It didn't feel like a complete remake, it added stuff. Was it needed? Probably not but I liked the different take.

I actually preferred the director's cut of RZH2 over its predecessor. Better an original piece of crap than a piece of crap spin on the original imo.

Unpopular opinion:

The John Wick movies are okay, but overrated.

The reason I say this is that action sequences are too long. I grew up in the 70s and 80s and saw all the 80s action classics. The key to great action is pacing it right and never having it feel like generic fighting.
Each fight ( gunfight, fistfight, swordfight or whatever ) should tell a story within itself.

To me, some of the Wick sequences feel like a walkthrough in a first person shooter game, with seemingly limitless enemies. After a while they get a bit repetitive.

Also, Keanu himself actually needs a little more character time. Of all 3, I preferred the third movie because at least in the first half he gets more verbal interaction with the other characters.

We don't need to know his whole history, and they leave enough mystery to keep him interesting. But, a little more interaction would make him more relatable.

I adore the first film but now going on 4... they lost me.

The first film had a gut level connection to Wick and his situation.

Since then though... I just don't care and the "world" at this point is just after school cartoon wacky in a way just am not vibing to in order to enjoy it. Yeah... "It's a movie. It doesn't have to be realistic in all ways."

Yes. And I'm not asking for it to be cinema verte' or some such. But the emotional connection to Wick is much stronger in 1 and it just started getting ridiculous when it seems suddenly every single ****ing person on the island of Manhattan is secretly either an elite assassin or working in some capacity for the shadowy organization that funds and employs all these human killing machines.

The series quickly became too silly and over the top without an emotional core outside of the audience's acceptance of Keanu as a likable film presence.

I adore the first film but now going on 4... they lost me.

The first film had a gut level connection to Wick and his situation.

Since then though... I just don't care and the "world" at this point is just after school cartoon wacky in a way just am not vibing to in order to enjoy it. Yeah... "It's a movie. It doesn't have to be realistic in all ways."

Yes. And I'm not asking for it to be cinema verte' or some such. But the emotional connection to Wick is much stronger in 1 and it just started getting ridiculous when it seems suddenly every single ****ing person on the island of Manhattan is secretly either an elite assassin or working in some capacity for the shadowy organization that funds and employs all these human killing machines.

The series quickly became too silly and over the top without an emotional core outside of the audience's acceptance of Keanu as a likable film presence.

Tbh I've only seen the first one once and couldn't watch the scene where the punks kill his dog, because I own a beagle. He's more of a person in that film and less of a video game character.

I did like Mark Dacascos' villain in 3, but then I am a fan of MD in pretty much anything.

Tbh I've only seen the first one once and couldn't watch the scene where the punks kill his dog, because I own a beagle. He's more of a person in that film and less of a video game character.

I did like Mark Dacascos' villain in 3, but then I am a fan of MD in pretty much anything.

Yeah it's nice seeing Mark get work. I really feel he should have been a much bigger genre star.

They had something good and simple and they've mistaken impenatrable, dense and opaque for compelling mystery.

And again...

EVERY single ****ing person in the Tri-State area is working for the shadow cabal? EVERYONE?

It's just too much and too silly now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"