State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. DyeLorean will return

I don't understand the appeal of Dune. I have zero--- let me rephrase that... I have -1 interest in that film. I don't get the hype at all. I love Denis Villeneuve but I. Just. Don't. Get. It.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  2. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

I'm casually interested in it. I read the whole book during a plane journey. All the way from the terminal to landing, I read the whole thing. It was a pretty good book. Very earnest though. The movie seems to be reflecting that.

3. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

I tried watching it, what I got was almost inaudible voices as I raised the volume to the max. I heard voices, but they are too low pitched.

I'll give it a try for Denis Villeneuve, I liked enough of his movies to hope for something good with this one.

Did Paul think about spice and then later eat one to see a needle floating that was meant to inject him with poison?
    Did they want to kill him cause he's the son when concubines should only give birth to daughters?

Deck Rickard likes this.
  4. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

I’m hyped for the movie but mostly because it looks BETTER than the book. That book took me sooooo long to get through. I kept waiting for it to get really good or blow my mind and it just… didn’t, really. I didn’t really care about any of the characters and it skips over a lot of the stuff that the movie seems to be showing, like the battles and the worm stuff.

5. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

I'm not a fan of the Lighthouse, it just isn't my cup of tea.

Deck Rickard and Batmannerism like this.
  6. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

I need to rewatch it. I loooooved it when it first came out, but haven't seen it since. I much prefer it over The VVitch, too.

7. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

Enjoy :up:
    I haven't watched the VVitch, that movie never hits my radar.

8. Mandon Knight We did it......

Might be unpopular, but for me, he's the worst Bond, yes, even after Moore.

Batmannerism likes this.
  9. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

* Least good.

Batmannerism likes this.
  10. Drizzle Hello there!

Moore and Brosnan's Bonds are basically the same. The only difference is that Moore's Bond was a little wittier and Brosnan's Bond was more...for lack of a better word...intimidating than Moore's.

And I always do a double take whenever someone lists anyone other than Lazenby as "Worst Bond". Not that any of them are bad, including Lazenby, but since he was only in one movie it felt like he barely had a chance to make the role his own.

#1185 Drizzle, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    Batmannerism likes this.
  11. Batmannerism Super-unknown

The Dune series basically a sociology/anthropology study, set in a futuristic universe, with some fantasy elements ( I.e. spice and sandworms) kind of like a much darker and more cerebral version of Star Trek. There's action - because disputes often get resolved by knife fights- but it's kind of coldly examined for its consequences and implications

If your version of fun sci fi is a ripping yarn like Star Wars, then the Dune series might not be for you. I've read the books, ages ago, but they're not something I've returned to.

In contrast, Asimov's foundation series is equally cerebral, but has a much lighter tone and is more accessible. Give Foundation and Empire a try.

Spider-Aziz and Deck Rickard like this.
  12. Mandon Knight We did it......

I personally thought GL was brilliant in the role, his physicality was sound, (okay his acting skills limited) but his presence in one of the best Bonds was excellent for me. It helped we had a more physical Blofeld, equally Savalas was terrific in the role.

Drizzle, Bruce Wayne and Spider-Aziz like this.
  13. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

People always overstate the woodenness of the Lazenby's Bond imo. One or two flatly delivered lines does not a bad performance make!

Spider-Aziz and Drizzle like this.
  14. Drizzle Hello there!

I've always liked Lazenby in OHMSS but the film being as good as it is elevates his Bond. I'm curious as to what could have been if he had done a few more Bond movies. Same goes for Dalton who not only should have had one or two more after License to Kill but he should have also started earlier, around '83 or so when Moore started getting long in the tooth.

Spider-Aziz and KRYPTON INC. like this.
  15. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

(high five)

I absolutely LOATHED that movie.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  16. 3rdstone Original Manhunter

Yeah, as much as I like Moore as Bond he should've left the franchise a bit earlier and being replaced by Dalton by then. A coupla more Dalton flicks would've been interesting.

Spider-Aziz and Drizzle like this.
  17. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

Zeus in Disney's Hercules might be one of the most airheaded dads in film.

Infant son kidnapped and he goes: NOOOOOOOO.
    18 years old son sees him in temple and he's: MY BOY, WELCOME BACK. Be a hero.
    Herc returns after saving people on multiple occasions: I can finally come home.
    Zeus: Nah, yer a showboater. Go away.
    Herc: NOOOOOOOO.

18. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

In the theme of the Halloween weekend and since I just rewatched, my unpopular opinion is that the best classic Universal Dracula movie is Son of Dracula and not the original Bela Lugosi version (or even the superior Spanish version of that film). Yes, Cheney isn't great as Alucard (although I don't think he's as bad as his reputation), but the plot is far more interesting and this one has things like actual vampire effects on-screen instead of just having the characters describing it. The New Orleans setting is also more interesting than the London setting (which for 90% of it is just one house).

Deck Rickard likes this.
  19. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Eternals isn't that bad. A messy and awkward first act, a little better second act but a strong third act with massive stakes and real pathos.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  20. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

The Matrix came out when I was in 7th grade, I watched it for the first time during my high school years when the sequels were being in production, and it bored me a great deal back then.

Watching it now for the first time since then, I think action and cinematography are good, but it leaves me asking a lot of questions, too many questions to be had 45 minutes into a film. XD
    But I don't hate it now, it's more of an emotionless curiosity that grabs my attention.

I will give it credit for being creative enough and inspirational to many other products (film, anime, video games, others), it possibly inspired the birth codecs/matrix stuff for that Man of Steel film (which differ greatly from the birth matrix in John Byrne's Man of Steel mini series comics), and it makes it entertaining that both movies have Laurence Fishburne in an important role.

Bruce Wayne and Herofan like this.
  21. -Arya- In Dreams I Walk With You

New opinion incoming. Matrix Resurrections is good. I liked it. Certainly not a disaster like so many have said, but not great either.

flickchick85 likes this.
  22. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

it's a wonderful life
    was life really that bad without him? or was he just little self absorbed?
    probably the worst of it was his brother dying...
    but I'd argue, that wouldn't have happened in a timeline where George never existed
    his little brother was only out sledding that day by the lake, as a tagalong with him... he wouldn't have been out there alone with those other older kids sledding, if he wasn't there with his older brother
    yes, I just spoiler tagged a 75 y.o. movie... what of it? lol

23. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

That's... A take.

24. Drizzle Hello there!

Since Scream 5 is almost upon us, I have an unpopular opinion.

I don't think any of the Scream movies are particularly scary in the slightest (Jay and Silent Bob show up in the third one, for crying out loud), but that doesn't mean they aren't entertaining.

25. Spider-Aziz Dummy Dragon Holo

[​IMG]

Drizzle likes this.