State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

Discussion in 'The Cutting Room Floor' started by Thread Manager, Aug 28, 2018.

1. Drizzle Hello there!

Scary Movie did the Scream franchise absolutely no favors.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  2. InCali I got a pUpgrade!

I kinda liked the new Matrix movie. :shrug:

3. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

I think that movie has a more lasting legacy than most people realize. Because the name “Alucard” has lived on in the Castlevania game series and animated TV show. And I doubt many fans of the game have any idea that the name originated from a kind of obscure classic monster movie.

It’s been probably 30 years since I watched it but, if I recall correctly, was he actually Dracula’s son? I remember them just saying that he’s Dracula and the title of the movie making no sense, lol. But I suppose if the title had been different, then Castlevania never would have used the Alucard name.

Kahran Ramsus likes this.
  4. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

They speculate that he might be Dracula's descendent and possibly his son when they are looking into him, but he turns out to be Dracula himself towards the end of the film.

Deck Rickard likes this.
  5. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Speaking of sequels better than the original and inspired by the latest season of Cobra Kai coming out a couple of weeks ago, I thought Karate Kid II was better than the first one. The first one is good and anchored by some great performances, but it is still a pretty stock underdog sports story. The second one is more unique, has much higher stakes, and has a lot to say about honor and being bound to the past and tradition.

6. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Ah okay yeah. That’s what it was. Thanks.

7. Deck Rickard Morag Tong Assassin

Hmmm I would have to watch Karate Kid 2 again to really make that assessment. I remember always liking it but I think there’s just something about the first one IMO that makes it the best of the series even if the story is cliched. I rewatched it recently and it still holds up, even if the fight choreography is… not great. Not sure if the second one still does. One thing is for sure though… both movies are better than Karate Kid 3! Though Silver is a great villain and he’s awesome on Cobra Kai.

8. Kahran Ramsus Super Moderator

Oh the first two are miles beyond 3 and 4, but yes I would recommend still watching 3 just for Silver.

9. Herofan Registered

I don't think The Truman Show is great or that profound, it's OK with good moments, it would have been better being less overt.

10. Arishem Judgy

I'm gonna rewatch that today.

Spider-Aziz likes this.
  11. Joe Von Zombie Hell yeah!

I think Wes Craven is one of weakest filmmakers out of the "Masters of Horror"

12. Batmannerism Super-unknown

Might have said this already but.....the cinematic version of Blade Runner, with the Harrison Ford voice over, is the best version of the film.

It makes Deckard a much more relatable character, and it adds some additional detail, without becoming an exposition dump.

[​IMG]

KRYPTON INC. likes this.
  13. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Still MY cut.

When the VO is lost the film becomes beautiful but unengaging and vague. Ford supposedly recorded it under duress and people claim it's apparent because they find it uninspired or him just going through the motions but that plays into its sci Fi/noir vibe. The dried out P. I. in Los Angeles of the 30's through the 50's living in a sci Fi dystopia.

Nothing's changed.

Everything's changed.

If I were gonna introduce the movie to anyone it would be the theatrical cut.

Batmannerism likes this.
  14. Bruce Wayne obligatory anime seizure attack!

I don't mind whatever cut, so long as it has Roy saying 'I want more life...****er.'

'Father' might be the more poetic ending to that quote, but Hauer's quietly rageful delivery of ****er is so much more preferable to my ears.

Batmannerism likes this.
  15. Gothamsknight A Dark Knight

It's been a while since I watched this cut of the film, but I found it a bit distracting in comparison to the final cut. One scene in particular I found didn't work as well as the final cut is when the narration starts up after Roy gives that iconic line. The silence on Deckards end after the delivery sells the scene more to me.

Batmannerism likes this.
  16. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

the run time on movies {especially CBM} these days, are just way to long...
    it's getting kind've out of hand (extended cuts released on stream or DVD are one thing) but, I can't seat through 3+ hours in theaters, anymore

Herofan likes this.
  17. MadVillainy C'mon Son

are most movies even that long nowadays? I don't feel that in general runtimes are any worse than theyve been for years

#1217 MadVillainy, Jan 22, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2022
  18. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

^ it was mainly hearing the nearly 3 hour runtime for, The Batman, that inspired that rant, I guess lol

19. KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

I would say genre works are getting more bloated.

Eternals, DUNE, Spider-Man and now this report of The Batman. Hell, have you checked out the average time for the Transformers series of yesteryear? We've had this slowly creeping up on us for a while.

20. I Am The Knight Voilá!

I think The Iron Giant is very good, but not the masterpiece most people seem to think it is. The animation is lovely though.

21. MadVillainy C'mon Son

But that's what I'm saying though. It's been that way for the longest. I don't see how runtimes are getting any longer as a whole in "recent" times.
    I mean films in general have been long since forever. Idk what we're considering a long runtime, but even looking at genre films from 1999-2011
    -As you said the Transformers, starting in 2007, have all been over 2 hours 20 mins
    -The LOTR films 2001-2003 were all over 2hrs 50 mins
    -The shortest HP film was 2hrs and 10 mins. (Sorcerers Stone was 2.5 hrs)
    -All of the original Pirates of the Carribean movies were over 2 hrs 20 mins
    -BB and TDK were 2 hrs 20 at the shortest
    -Superman Return is 2hrs 45 min
    -The prequel trilogy were are around 2hrs 20 mins
    -2/3 of the original Matrix trilogy are all around 2hrs 20
    -Avatar is 2hrs 40 something minutes.
    And again that's just genre films

I don't see it getting any worse than it has been since around the early 90s. For every Eternals, DUNE, No Way Home, and The Batman; there is a Ant Man and the Wasp, Arrival, Let There Be Carnage, or Birds of Prey that clock under 2 hrs

#1221 MadVillainy, Jan 23, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2022
  22. MadVillainy C'mon Son

I feel that. I guess I don't do that that often. The last 3 hr movies I've seen in theater were The Irishman and Endgame (Once Upon a Time in Hollywood was close at 2hrs50 mins). Before that it was probably the original Lord of the Rings movies.

But it's all about pacing with me. I've seen movies at home or in theaters, good ones even, that felt like they were almost 3 hrs long but were barely 1.5 hours just due to the editing and pacing.
    Endgame, Wolf of Wall Street, and imo LOTR were well paced enough that even as a kid watching LOTR I didn't feel the runtime (well with ROTK I did but the fade outs didn't help)

To your point about The Batman, we'll see. When I first heard about the runtime I was kinda eh. But who knows when the story unfolds it could need that runtime. I don't mind 3 hours if it's good and it's paced well. Im more worried how moody it'll be. Don't mind dark or serious movies at all but there's a difference between dark and grimdark.

True, some movies don't need that much runtime. I remember I put off watching No Time to Die for weeks because I thought "I don't see why Bond needs to be almost 2 hours 45 minutes." And leaving the movie, while I liked it, I felt the same way. But as I said, I can use that same logic with movies that are around 2 hours.

23. Spider-Fan83 with great power...

admittedly, it might be less about movies getting longer... and more about me getting older lol

24. DyeLorean will return

Maybe there's a correlation between series becoming more popular, stories tend to be larger and people are eating those up... so maybe that's why movies are slowly becoming a bit longer, so they can cram more story? I don't know, I'm just spitballing here.

25. MadVillainy C'mon Son

But Im saying movies aren't really getting longer are they? Maybe the pacing is getting worse. YMMV on that. But runtimes seem to be about the same they've been overall