• Rings of Power

Fantasy TV is now The Lord of the Rings!

• We're moving

Heroes are moving to the Movies sections!

State your unpopular film related opinion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 32

After seeing it, The Batman isn’t better than Chris Nolan’s entries. There are some scenes finally depicted in live action that I hadn’t seen before — but the overly bleak tone is a turnoff (like the Riddler) as well as the three hour runtime. It’s a good movie but a very overrated one… but I’m not yearning for the sequel.

And Into the Spider Verse is NOT the best Spider-Man movie— highly overrated as well. I’m sick and tired of hearing that. And while the animation is extraordinary— the shifting style hurt my eyes at times. And all those extra Spider characters are NOT FUNNY (and looking at you, Peter Porker). It just makes me want to see Miles Morales in a live action film. Forget the sequels.

Those are not so unpopular. I enjoyed the Batman but its comparable to the weakest Nolan film - if it had been about 30 min shorter it would have been a lot better.

As for SpiderVerse, apparently while critics slobber over it, it made less money than all the other 21st century Spidey films. It is massively overrated.

I recently rewatched The Crow. I remember watching it when it came out in -94, but not sure if I've watched it since. Anyhows, I remember reading a couple of reviews back then before watching mentioning this was the director (Alex Proyas) first feature film, and he had a backround as a music video director (with stars like INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Crowded House, Mike Oldfield, Sting etc). I saw some promotion pictures, and got interested.

Tbh, it actually felt like watching a contemporary high budget music video back then. I've no idea how much of a true adaption this was to the 90s comic, but I felt everything was mostly just over the top in an annoying way. The whole dark/gothic theme mostly came out silly.

Brendan Lee was good though as the antagonist, and so was Ernie Hudson as the good cop and Michael Wincott as the main villian. So yeah, a great cast and the action were sometimes entertaining, but I just didn't get the over all praise for it.

I know lots of people love this flick still today, hence I decided to rewatch it the other day and maybe change my mind. But yeah, it still feel mostly like a 90s high budget music video to me. Sure, some good action/shoot out scenes and what I mentioned above, but still quite a forgettable dated film compared to other 90s action flicks back then.

Proyas second film was Dark City in -98, which I've just revisited. It surely has it flaws, but for me there's a lot more to love there. A sci-fi/mystery/noir story which I enjoyed then and now, way more than his first offering.

Totally disagree mate. Given how dire modern day action films are the Crow just gets better with age.

The big gunfight in the boardroom beats anything I've seen in ages.

But hey, fair play this is the unpopular opinions thread. Cheers.

I recently rewatched The Crow. I remember watching it when it came out in -94, but not sure if I've watched it since. Anyhows, I remember reading a couple of reviews back then before watching mentioning this was the director (Alex Proyas) first feature film, and he had a backround as a music video director (with stars like INXS, Fleetwood Mac, Crowded House, Mike Oldfield, Sting etc). I saw some promotion pictures, and got interested.

Tbh, it actually felt like watching a contemporary high budget music video back then. I've no idea how much of a true adaption this was to the 90s comic, but I felt everything was mostly just over the top in an annoying way. The whole dark/gothic theme mostly came out silly.

Brendan Lee was good though as the antagonist, and so was Ernie Hudson as the good cop and Michael Wincott as the main villian. So yeah, a great cast and the action were sometimes entertaining, but I just didn't get the over all praise for it.

I know lots of people love this flick still today, hence I decided to rewatch it the other day and maybe change my mind. But yeah, it still feel mostly like a 90s high budget music video to me. Sure, some good action/shoot out scenes and what I mentioned above, but still quite a forgettable dated film compared to other 90s action flicks back then.

Proyas second film was Dark City in -98, which I've just revisited. It surely has it flaws, but for me there's a lot more to love there. A sci-fi/mystery/noir story which I enjoyed then and now, way more than his first offering.
The funny thing about the comic is that Eric Draven killed everyone in issue 3 out of 8 or 12, and the publisher's name is Kitchen Sink Comics.

I don't mind the music video thing, I still enjoy Mark Steven Johnson's Daredevil, but the choices of songs for this one is definitely not my favorite type.

Since we're talking about music videos and comic book movies; like the Batman, I thought of such complaint/nitpick every time I heard a vocal song playing in that movie. :hehe:

Last edited:
I need to rewatch The Crow and at some point read the comic. I’ve heard the movie is very different from the book. I do really like the film though, and Dark City for that matter. It’s a shame that Alex Proyas went from that to crap like Knowing and… Gods of Egypt (shudder).

Totally disagree mate. Given how dire modern day action films are the Crow just gets better with age.

The big gunfight in the boardroom beats anything I've seen in ages.

But hey, fair play this is the unpopular opinions thread. Cheers.

Agreed. One of my favorite films of all time in any genre.

Amazing action, compelling gothic atmosphere, and an undercurrent of melancholy mixed with hope that chokes me up every time.

I really like Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I do concede to popular opinion that of Raimi's original trilogy, the third installment is the weakest. However, I would say the third movie only suffers in comparison because the first two are stone cold classics. I still prefer the third one over any of the Holland/Watts films, NWH included.

As for ASM2, I rewatched it last summer and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The first Webb movie absolutely had its issues, but I feel the sequel is an improvement in just about every way. It's smarter, darker, and quite insightful about how some people are willing to accept elements of risk in their lives, consequences be damned.

I also liked the social commentary, with Aunt May struggling to make ends meet and Max dealing with the invisibility syndrome that results in individuals who feel isolated from society as a whole.

ASM2 is smarter than it needed to be, I guess is what I'm saying :yay:

The Incredibles is overrated. I might only feel that way because Craig T. Nelson is a piece of **** in real life, but it is what it is.
At least you don't see his face.

I really like Spider-Man 3 and Amazing Spider-Man 2.

I do concede to popular opinion that of Raimi's original trilogy, the third installment is the weakest. However, I would say the third movie only suffers in comparison because the first two are stone cold classics. I still prefer the third one over any of the Holland/Watts films, NWH included.
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSS.

ASM2, I rewatched it last summer and was surprised at how much I enjoyed it. The first Webb movie absolutely had its issues, but I feel the sequel is an improvement in just about every way.

I disliked the big element that Peter broke up with Gwen just to want to get back together with her and I also thought Harry was pretty bland but otherwise yes I thought it was a big improvement over the first especially in terms of portraying Peter.

I also liked the social commentary, with Aunt May struggling to make ends meet and Max dealing with the invisibility syndrome that results in individuals who feel isolated from society as a whole.

I thought Max was not real good but at least way too hated.

The Incredibles is overrated. I might only feel that way because Craig T. Nelson is a piece of **** in real life

LOL. I do think it is overrated mainly in that after time the visuals are still really good but not amazing particularly off the big screen and also the character Mr. Incredible feels too unlikeably self-pitying, self-righteous.

Last edited:
Shrek did not need and more should not have had sequels, 2 was, a few guilty pleasures aside, real bad. Although OTOH 4 was, though not good, the best film aside from the original.

Top Gun Maverick and Everything Everywhere All At Once are overrated. They were somewhat entertaining but definitely overhyped. There. I said it. Come at me.

upload_2022-7-10_0-59-45.gif

NWH is the weakest of the MCU Spider-Man films and gets a pass for a lot of nonsensical BS and bad CGI simply because nostalgia is like a drug for moviegoers. I honestly can’t believe it has a higher RT score than The Batman, which is 10 times the movie NWH is IMO.

I enjoyed NWH but I would have much rather seen new versions of Osborn, Ock, etc. Osborn especially, because I never cared much for DaFoe’s take on the character. Oh, and the Lizard SUCKED. I wish they hadn’t even brought him back. He was passable in ASM but awful in NWH.

NWH is the weakest of the MCU Spider-Man films and gets a pass for a lot of nonsensical BS and bad CGI simply because nostalgia is like a drug for moviegoers. I honestly can’t believe it has a higher RT score than The Batman, which is 10 times the movie NWH is IMO.

I enjoyed NWH but I would have much rather seen new versions of Osborn, Ock, etc. Osborn especially, because I never cared much for DaFoe’s take on the character. Oh, and the Lizard SUCKED. I wish they hadn’t even brought him back. He was passable in ASM but awful in NWH.

Going to disagree with you partially:

Nostalgia /Member berries: Dr Strange MOM is a great example of how not to do cameos to milk Nostalgia/audience recognition.

NWH actually gives the Spider Men a meaningful role in the story, and within their own characters ( particularly Andrew Garfield 's Spidey).

As for the villains, well Electro gets a much better portrayal than he did in ASM2. Doc Ock gets redemption. Osbourne.... a lot of people have raved about the character and DaFoe's performance, I wasn't as sold but he was still better than a lot of MCU villains.

Yes, the Lizard was pretty poor, and didnt need to be there.

I think my overall point is that they didnt just bring back these characters to "dangle shiny objects" in front of the audience. They actually are integral to the story, were well performed and in some cases had real moments of pathos ( especially Garfield).

Where I struggled with NWH is the premise that gets the story going. That Dr Strange would be so reckless and not explain the outcome of his spell, to Peter, before casting it is completely absurd and OOC.
Its a simple spell...but it breaks reality if it ****s up, is a non sequitur. Those two ideas seem mutually exclusive.

Once you get past that, NWH is awesome, but that's a pretty big hurdle if you know anything at all about Dr Strange.

Have to say that it was wildly entertaining, whereas the Batman dragged a lot for me - so I understand the RT scores.

But this is not the popular opinions thread, so fair play to you.

Stuck in self isolation and all 3 of the first Xmen films were on TV, in sequence.

After some reflection X3 is not as bad as people make it out to be. It has a lot of practical effects, most of which are pretty good, the stakes are high and the death of Prof X is a moving scene. It's slightly goofy, but then so were X1 and X2.
The score was great.

My main complaints are that Cyclops is a non entity and it incorporates the Dark Phoenix story, without doing it justice. Magneto turning his back on Mystique seemed surprising, even for him.

But all in all, it's a lot better than XM:Apocalypse or Dark Phoenix films and any of the side series/films ( maybe not Legion?). In all honesty it was better than anything in MCU Phase 4, the Ant Man films and most of the DCEU.

I wonder if the cgi for turning things into dust had become cheaper in 2005/6 which is why it's Phoenix's default attack.

I've come to the conclusion that while I like Beetlejuice, I find Burtons Sleepy Hollow to be vastly superior. Random thoughts while getting my October rewatch of the movie in.

Mars Attacks! felt like it was going too, as Burton has often been accused of being, outright nihilistic, and even nihilistic for its own sake.

Count me in as someone who thinks Spider-Verse is highly overrated. I liked it, but I tried to rewatch it and I just can't. The animation is some of the best I've seen in years, yes. But the movie doesn't work for me as much as it does for everyone else apparently.

What’s the consensus on Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2? I know some folks that love it because it’s different from the first, but I mean…yikes, it’s kinda bad.

I hate Monsters, Inc., I think it's so bad it's bad, even though I usually like Goodman and Buscemi.

What’s the consensus on Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2? I know some folks that love it because it’s different from the first, but I mean…yikes, it’s kinda bad.
It sucks, there I said it. I was never a huge Texas Chainsaw fan to begin with, but the first one is very effective, and I dig the remake. The second one? Horrible.

Mars Attacks! felt like it was going too, as Burton has often been accused of being, outright nihilistic, and even nihilistic for its own sake.
Which admittedly disturbed the hell out of me as an 8 year old when I watched it for the first time. I suppose it was because it was on top of the martians and Elfman's score being unsettling, it was also the first movie I can remember seeing where the majority of the cast ends up dead ("That's cute" says Rogue One :o). Since then I've come to love the campiness of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cap2024
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"