State your unpopular film related opinion - Part 8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im not against relating to a character either
but for example people trash Superman because he's not relatable but then they praise Iron Man, James Bond, John McLane, Don Draper, and a lot of other characters

I just think that people use it as an unfair criticism of movie, tv, etc. characters

Last edited:
Im not against relating to a character either
but for example people trash Superman because he's not relatable but then they praise Iron Man, James Bond, John McLane, Don Draper, and a lot of other characters

I just think that people use it as an unfair criticism of movie, tv, etc. characters
Because James Bond and Iron Man are characters that people want to be because they're cool.

The people who think Superman is unrelatable, are the same people who think he's not cool.

Plenty of Batman merchandise has been sold over the years. Just because it isn't specifically movie Batman does not mean the movies aren't helping to expand the brand and encouraging people to buy Batman toys and other merchandise.
You're really got grasping my point.

You don't need that many sets for say a Batman show. Think BSG, Sanctuary, Eureka, etc. A couple really good interiors and some green screen stuff. Half the time I watched Sanctuary to see just how gorgeous it was. You can do alot with a digital backlot. Aside fro,m that you need a Batcave, a couple rooms in the house (kitchen, sitting room, bedroom, one hallway).

Look at BSG, a show done all in hallways and rooms except for the occasional big outer space scene or occasional location. SG1 too. Heck, every version of Star Trek too.

There are enough productions going on or recently ceased that are doing something in a vein that I can see working for this type of show. An efficient model of an action/sfx show with a quick turnaround is something WB should look into more.

I'm not saying it wouldn't work storywise, but it wouldn't be financially feasible for WB to do so when the movies would make a much bigger profit. Plus if the view gets the feeling that the tv series is smaller, in addition to the traditional stigma that that tv series have less money, you won't get American Idol advertising.

I don't need to relate to or even like characters to enjoy a movie. I'm there to see a story unfold, not to make imaginary friends or see characters that make me think of friends because to be honest...that will take me out of the movie a bit.

Some people use that argument against films like Raging Bull . I've never needed a character to be relatable. One of my favorite television series was The Sopranos and I thought Tony was a complete a**hole.

To me, a character doesn't need to be relatable. He just needs to be compelling to watch. There are many characters in fillms that aren't relatable or likable (like the characters in Goodfellas), but they're interesting and you want to know what happens next.

Yeah, from Fritz Lang"s M to A Clockwork Orange, from Psycho to White Heat etc. there's been plenty of great films where characters aren't relatable or likable. Like PW says it's about being compelling and interesting.

Yeah, from Fritz Lang"s M to A Clockwork Orange, from Psycho to White Heat etc. there's been plenty of great films where characters aren't relatable or likable. Like PW says it's about being compelling and interesting.

Great examples, especially A Clockwork Orange, one of my favorite Kubrick films. Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten around to watching Barry Lyndon. :csad:

The Godfather trilogy isn't overflowing with likable characters.

The first one is.

Michael, Vito, and Tom Hagen are all pretty likeable.

After that it gets spotty, though. :o

The most successful movie always trumps the most successful tv show in profits and with some franchises it's about maximizing your brand, and a tv show would never get the budget of a blockbuster movie because it wouldn't be justifiable.
Hmmm...you think the occasional theatrical film tying in with the TV show could tip the balance?

Another one:

I like Batman Forever much more than Batman Returns. :o

Unpopular opinion;

I don't think I've even seen (for me) a perfect movie.
There is always 'something' off about a movie for me. I have a hand full of movies that come really really close but just miss the mark.

Unpopular opninion:

I think that Thunderball is better than Goldfinger.

TB, QOS & LTK are very underrated. Connery, Craig & Dalton are the best Bonds. :o

Unpopular opinion;

I don't think I've even seen (for me) a perfect movie.
There is always 'something' off about a movie for me. I have a hand full of movies that come really really close but just miss the mark.
I think I'm gonna make a thread about that. :o

Unpopular opninion:

I think that Thunderball is better than Goldfinger.

TB, QOS & LTK are very underrated. Connery, Craig & Dalton are the best Bonds. :o
While I don't agree that it's better than Goldfinger, I do think Thunderball is underrated. Those underwater scenes are among the best parts of the whole franchise.

I remember liking Quantum of Solace better than most after seeing it in theaters, but now I don't remember much about its plot. Not quite sure what to make of that.

I haven't seen Licence to Kill but Dalton was really good in The Living Daylights. Otherwise, the movie was unfortunately by-the-numbers.

About Batman Forever: take out the goofy Two-Face (don't tell me TLJ did not have the potential to play the character in a darker way, look at the first moments with the stupid guard), bring in the original opening with TF escaping and add the "Bruce sees giant bat" scene and you have something.

Here's a new one:

The Godfather III is underrated, Al Pacino is masterful in it. :o

About Batman Forever: take out the goofy Two-Face (don't tell me TLJ did not have the potential to play the character in a darker way, look at the first moments with the stupid guard), bring in the original opening with TF escaping and add the "Bruce sees giant bat" scene and you have something.
Oh no, I fully appreciate BF. I like it a lot more than most.

It's just that Batman Returns is such an incredibly intricate and well crafted film, it's extremely hard to top.

Oh no, I fully appreciate BF. I like it a lot more than most.

It's just that Batman Returns is such an incredibly intricate and well crafted film, it's extremely hard to top.

IMHO, it's a gothic crapfest. The only good things about it are the ending & Michelle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"