State your unpopular film related opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.
_ Altman's "Popeye" is really bad. Specially considering the genius that is Segar's original comic book material.
_ The Insider > Heat.
_ Jim Carrey should have gotten more credit for his performance in "I love you, Philip Morris."
_ Sam Raimi's best films are ED, ED 2 and The Gift.
_ I don't really like Darkman or Army of Darkness.

I personally find POPEYE hilarious...but I understand why many would not like it.

Popeye, and Hook are, imo, two of the most underrated robin williams movies ever.

I personally find POPEYE hilarious...but I understand why many would not like it.
I'm a very big fan of E. C. Segar's brilliant and surreal original work and couldn't find it in Altman's adaptation. And I didn't like Hook either, but to each their own.

I'm a very big fan of E. C. Segar's brilliant and surreal original work and couldn't find it in Altman's adaptation.

I thought they came close and give them props for the effort.

If you want surreal read LITTLE NEMO IN SLUMBERLAND.

I've heard about it but haven't read it. I will, thanks.

Where were the more fantastical elements like the Great Eugene The Jeep, The Sea Hag, Alice the Goon? Where was the wonderful humor in the relationship between Popeye and Wimpy (a wasted charcter in Altman's movie, so funny in Segar's books? And it was plagued by too many unnecessary musical numbers.
I read somewhere that there was more cocaine use on the Malta set of Popeye than on De Palma's Scarface. I don't think they really knew what they were doing and it shows imo, but like I said to each its own. The sets looked nice though, I'll give you that.

I've heard about it but haven't read it. I will, thanks.

It's definately worth looking at. About 30 years ago I bought a now out of print book that compiled all of the strips. They were in color and in original size (when they were first printed they were in the Sunday paper and took up a full page each week)....it is some of the most hilarious, bizarre, surreal, and imaginative work you will ever see.

Where were the more fantastical elements like the Great Eugene The Jeep, The Sea Hag, Alice the Goon? Where was the wonderful humor in the relationship between Popeye and Wimpy (a wasted charcter in Altman's movie, so funny in Segar's books? And it was plagued by too many unnecessary musical numbers.
I read somewhere that there was more cocaine use on the Malta set of Popeye than on De Palma's Scarface. I don't think they really knew what they were doing and it shows imo, but like I said to each its own. The sets looked nice though, I'll give you that.

Yeah, they didn't have a bunch of the fantastical characters....but the sets and costume and character makeup/outfits along with the nonsensical patter of Popeye and the others were very reminiscent of the cartoons to me.

-Other than Blade and Black Panther I cant see a black hero from Marvel or DC making a good film
-On that note, I dont want a Luke Cage film at all. Unless it leads to a Hero for Hire movie with Iron Fist
-Shark Tale was a funny movie
-Unpopular internet movie opinion: I like Mark Wahlberg
-A Halo movie based on the first 3 games wouldnt be good. A Reach movie will be better but still Im iffy on the potential of it
-I dont see what's Oscar or even GG worthy in Garfield's performance in TSN

[YT]ip-ubq5HwpY[/YT] :cwink:
That piece of music wasn't actually in the movie, though. If you really want a good example of Williams' "Hook" score, this is it (starts up at around 0:50):
[YT]qgw74Agfjt4[/YT]

That piece of music wasn't actually in the movie, though. If you really want a good example of Williams' "Hook" score, this is it (starts up at around 0:50):
[YT]qgw74Agfjt4[/YT]

True. But ,technically it was the theme. Surprised we got the trailer music...Hopefully la-la land releases the complete score this year...:awesome:

Love that flying music...:yay:

Me too. still I dont think he can sustain his own solo film
well of course not, he can't really even sustain his own ongoing title. but there are other black superheroes who could hold a movie
blade, black panther, static, mr. terrific, gl john stewart, a well done steel (imo), luke cage(but he's be better in a heroes for hire flick), spawn, sam jackson version nick fury...there are plenty out there

Blade, BP, Static I fully agree with

-MR Terrific I doubt. I havent read that much on him but how are his villains. Ive never heard of a Mr. Terrific villain. Besides comic fans I cant see that being being received well or making money
-Jon Stewart His story isnt that interesting to me. Hal has Sinestro, Parallax, etc. Kyle has the whole rebuilding the corps story. Maybe Jon can make a good film, but I doubt it. He would be cool in JL or later as a supporting character in the GL franchise, but I cant see him holding his own
-Steel maybe
-Luke Cage I think is really hard to cast, he is not like a superhero as in he doesnt really have a good costume, and half of his hook is being a Hero for Hire (although he can do to free work) ANd other than being paired with Iron Fist he doesnt interest me. ANd also I just dont really want to see a ex con thug who mostly works for money as the lead in a superhero film. I cant see it being good
-Spawn I forgot about, I dont know much about him though
-I love SLJ, but what would a Nick Fury movie have? It'll be basically a SHIELD movie? I'd be skeptical

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"