Stephen Dorff's 'Deputy' picked up to series

Kaleb

2010 & 2018 SHHFFL Champion
Reaction score
Deputy — billed as “a modern cop drama that blends the spirit of a classic Western with a modern-day attitude and gritty authenticity” — stars True Detective‘s Stephen Dorff as fifth-generation lawman Bill Hollister, who becomes the sheriff of Los Angeles County. The supporting cast includes Yara Martinez (Jane the Virgin), Brian Van Holt (Cougar Town), Siena Goines (Grey’s Anatomy) and Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow). Castle scribe Will Beall penned the pilot.

deputy-fox-series-order.jpg

Prodigal Son, Deputy, Two More Dramas Earn Series Orders at Fox

Last edited:
Going to watch this when it premieres!

Seems interesting but I'm not sure how it'll work with Fox's new direction. Most shows there had a hard time gaining traction even before 20th Century Fox's sale to Disney and I bet that'll still be the case now that Fox no longer has any in-house studio and will be reliant on mainly sports and reality shows.

I definitely like the look of this, kinda oldschool in a modern setting and it looks a good role for Dorff.

The show isn't get much chatter on the entertainment boards that I frequent, but then the premiere was snuck in on a holiday week and not even riding on the coattails of a Bowl Game which most action shows are. I guess the scheduling gods are against it.. The political boards are another matter. But then the political angle is the most realistic part of the show.

Given the plot of the show the acting Sheriff has just over 100 days until the special election for Sheriff. Surely our hero protagonist mounted unit Sergeant will win the election over the Deputy Sheriff pushing for cooperation with I.C.E. and thus is the most real part of the show. Certainly more so than the Sheriff leading the no time for SWAT back up raids, thus becoming a media hero.

The current LA County Sheriff Alex Villanueva was a Sheriff's Department Lieutenant who ran against Sheriff McDonnell, the former Chief of Police of the county's second largest city. While Sheriff McDonnell was dealing with the fallout from Sheriff Baca's term no cooperation with I.C.E. was Sheriff Villanueva's issue which got the political unknown elected.

My new foster parent deputy who just killed my father plot line was a step too far. Whoever place the children in that home needs to be fired. I do wonder how the Sheriff will get his KIA partner's son out of jailer duties and make him a street cop. Real life Sheriff's department biggest recruitment challenge is getting recruits who want to be cops when they will have to serve years as a jail deputy first. I guess he will just throw his 5 stars around. Sort of the like on The Closer were Chief Johnson doing a Lieutenant's job threw her rank around.

Feels like the poor man's network version of Justified. Dozens of cliches in the first 10 minutes. If there was a drinking game, it would kill you.

Not a fan of the lighting and coloring either.

One minute the Sheriff is declaring that the department has lost its way and is out of ass kickers and relies on save-assers. He shuts down that stooge who wants to transition officers with problematic histories out the field. Sort of contradicts his attitude at the beginning before the flashback.

Last edited:
Feels like the poor man's network version of Justified. Dozens of cliches in the first 10 minutes. If there was a drinking game, it would kill you.

One minute the Sheriff is declaring that the department has lost its way and is out of ass kickers and relies on save-assers. He shuts down that stooge who wants to transition officers with problematic histories out the field. Sort of contradicts his attitude at the beginning before the flashback.
I think he just declared the problematic histories of many of the list deputies as not problematic because their actions were Justified. The acting Sheriff coming from the Mounted Unit, I guess to hide his problematic self from tactical units and not being put on jail duties is what i get from Justified. I see more O'Laughlin's Hawaii 5-0 or The Closer where the maverick has the rank to politically survive his actions.

I think he just declared the problematic histories of many of the list deputies as not problematic because their actions were Justified. The acting Sheriff coming from the Mounted Unit, I guess to hide his problematic self from tactical units and not being put on jail duties is what i get from Justified. I see more O'Laughlin's Hawaii 5-0 or The Closer where the maverick has the rank to politically survive his actions.

I think Bosch as a TV show did a better job at handling issues like this and making them more believable and subtle.

Besides the sanctuary, no cooperation with ICE policies the new Sheriff of Los Angeles Villanueva who I think is the inspiration for acting Sheriff Hollister on the show is probably best know for reinstating a pair of Deputies fired by the previous Sheriff because he thought the force was justified,

I wonder why they thought that they could pass some county charter says the mounted unit provides the acting Sheriff instead of entering with the lawman winning the election to get back his job

Besides the sanctuary, no cooperation with ICE policies the new Sheriff of Los Angeles Villanueva who I think is the inspiration for acting Sheriff Hollister on the show is probably best know for reinstating a pair of Deputies fired by the previous Sheriff because he thought the force was justified,

I wonder why they thought that they could pass some county charter says the mounted unit provides the acting Sheriff instead of entering with the lawman winning the election to get back his job

It's still a fictional TV show at the end of the day. Obviously, this would never happen in real life.

Well that's disappointing to hear. I was actually somewhat interested in this too, especially after how great Dorff was in True Detective Season 3, but that's obviously a whole other level of quality writing and directing. I might still give it a chance once the show is finished, but if it ends up being nothing more than a poor mans Justified than I'm definitely out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"