Mike Flanagan's Adaptation of Stephen King's 'The Dark Tower'

Paroxysm

Superhero
Reaction score
Universal Pictures and NBC Universal Television Entertainment have closed a deal to turn Stephen King’s mammoth novel series The Dark Tower into a feature film trilogy and a network TV series, both of which will be creatively steered by the Oscar-winning team behind A Beautiful Mind and The Da Vinci Code.

Ron Howard has committed to direct the initial feature film, as well as the first season of the TV series that will follow in close proximity. Akiva Goldsman will write the film, and the first season of the TV series. Howard’s Imagine Entertainment partner Brian Grazer will produce, with Goldsman and the author.
http://www.deadline.com/2010/09/uni...s-unprecedented-featurenetwork-tv-adaptation/

:awesome:

How the freak does Akiva Goldsman continue to write comic book/graphic novel properties?! :huh: You'd think they'd learn by now. Well here's hoping it does well. I do plan to watch it, though with Goldsman involved, I'm reserving the right to expect a good movie. :o

He's done a good enough job with his work on Fringe.

Pffft..... everyone knows Lost in Space was the best movie of the 1990s. :o

:oldrazz:

I'll remember that when you rant about Two and a half men. :o

Well, ****, I wasn't even serious, but if you're going to play that card....

Lost in Space >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Two and a Half Men.

:o

I wasn't serious. But I can't believe you actually liked Lost in Space. That movie is worse than boiled pig feet. :huh:

I dont really like it. Twas a joke.

But it is certainly better than Two and a Half Men. :argh:

Sounds promising, even with Akiva Goldsman (aka the man who wrote Batman & Robin) on board. Hopefully Howard will do it justice, difficult as it may be.

He's done some good stuff. Cinderella Man, A Beautiful Mind, The Client, he's done some good films, but yes he's done his huge share of pure crap too. But with good source material let's hope he does good.

Theyre also planning on making The Talisman miniseries.

Yep. And that has Spielberg behind it.

Maybe I'm talking to the wrong crowd, but could we let the whole Goldsman thing go please? B&R and LiS were a long time ago, and the man's done tons of quality stuff since then.

Ah man! That was the funniest joke ever! :up:

Goldsman still sucks. If he manages to somehow defy the laws of physics and do a faithful adaptation of The Dark Tower, then maybe I'll forgive him for ruining the Batman franchise.

However, he's done plenty of crappy work SINCE Batman & Robin, and I think that's why there's still cause for concern: Lost in Space, Practical Magic, Deep Blue Sea, I Robot, The Da Vinci Code and I Am Legend. Now, he did write A Beautiful Mind and Cinderella Man... and Angels & Demons wasn't bad (a hell of a step-up from the hack job he did on Da Vinci Code). I haven't watched Fringe, so I can't comment on that. Still, it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence when you consider that The Dark Tower is one of the most epic and complicated stories ever written and it would be very easy to muck it up.

I'm glad this series is getting adapted... I just can't help but feel that there are people out there who would be much, much better for it.

Didn't he write the F4? Not saying it's all that bad but the way they wrote Doom.....:argh:

I'm willing to hold some things against him, but not B&R. Not anymore. When a big studio is hellbent on making a 2-hour toy commercial, a screenwriter's not going to talk them out of it in a million years. I suspect it's one of the reasons Goldsman became a producer.

I'm willing to hold some things against him, but not B&R. Not anymore. When a big studio is hellbent on making a 2-hour toy commercial, a screenwriter's not going to talk them out of it in a million years. I suspect it's one of the reasons Goldsman became a producer.

And what's his excuse for all of his other bad scripts? At best, you can say that they aren't in the same level of suck as Batman & Robin. But they were still crappy movies with poorly written characters, dialogue, etc.

The Dark Tower on TV next season?

Posted: October 27, 2010, 15:46:17
Section: Film » The Dark Tower

Today I found an article called NBC - Full drama development slate for next season - almost all Fantasy/Sci-Fi and in it I found this interesting section:

DARK TOWER, THE: Eerie, dreamlike, set in a world that is weirdly related to our own, The Gunslinger introduces Roland Deschain of Gilead, of In-World that was, as he pursues his enigmatic antagonist to the mountains that separate the desert from the Western Sea. Roland is a solitary figure, perhaps accursed, who with a strange singlemindedness traverses an exhausted, almost timeless landscape. The people he encounters are left behind, or worse—left dead. At a way station, however, he meets Jake, a boy from a particular time (1977) and a particular place (New York City), and soon the two are joined—khef, ka, and ka-tet. The mountains lie before them. So does the man in black and, somewhere far beyond...the Dark Tower

Sounds promising, even with Akiva Goldsman (aka the man who wrote Batman & Robin) on board. Hopefully Howard will do it justice, difficult as it may be.

He was good on The Andy Griffith Show and Happy Days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"